Gaming headphones?

IBIubbleTea

So I'm in the market for some good headphones for gaming, music and whatever else you can think of really. I'm a competitive fps gamer so hearing those footsteps are key. For music I like to listen to dubstep, the top hits and some 

acoustics stuff. For base, I only like a little bit of it as I'm not a base head. The headphones need to be comfortable and have some ventilation for my ears as my skin is quite sensitive to sweat from long periods of time. i was looking at the HD558 by Sennheiser, are they any good, Or the ATH-AD700X by Audio Technica better, or any other suggestions? My motherboard is the ASUS Maximus Vi Formula so I don't think I need a amp. 

Thanks.

~Edit~

Currently looking at the 
HD558

AD700x

K612 Pro

AD900X 

Q701

You must "Quote" to get my attention​.

~IBIubbleTea - 20/07/2014 

You sound like you can spend a few bucks. Astro A40's maybe? They are better for those who are multi-platform, but for PC, they are still good.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

You sound like you can spend a few bucks. Astro A40's maybe? They are better for those who are multi-platform, but for PC, they are still good.

Just a guess, but I think the HD558 and/or the AD700x will eat the A40 for breakfast....

Steelseries. Plain and simply the best.

They're in the same boat as Astros. They are terrible compared to real headphones. The AKG K612s get my vote. The Senns and Audiotechnicas are good too. 

They're in the same boat as Astros. They are terrible compared to real headphones. The AKG K612s get my vote. The Senns and Audiotechnicas are good too. 

"real headphones" He wants something good for gaming, and as far as I have seen (or heard ;) ) SteelSeries has the best.

"real headphones" He wants something good for gaming, and as far as I have seen (or heard ;) ) SteelSeries has the best.

Audio's audio. Gaming isn't special.

You could always just pic a pair of headphones you like, then add another $50 or so to tack on a mod-mic. That's the way I'd do it.

If you want an actualy "Gaming Headset", my choice would be a pair of Sennheiser G4ME series. Sennheiser have become my "Go to" brand for headphones for about 5 years now. I've tried a good amount of their headphones, and I've been impressed by them in pretty much every price bracket.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Do you think headphones with a shitty 5$ mic and a gaming sticker on them makes them better than actual headphones from audio companies that have years of audio design research put into them or something? Lol

I was under the impression that most of this forum understood that once a gaming sticker, or branding goes on a product, it automatically gets priced higher, with lesser quality than other options.

I agree with @SSL (hi ssl)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The problem here is that for gaming (especially FPS) you want open back headphones for a larger soundstage, but electronic music usually sounds better with closed back headphones because they have more bass. If it's just for gaming then the AD700x or the open back AKG are a really good choice, but I don't know if you'll like them that much for your music. I love my AD900x to death, but that's because they really shine with female vocalists and Jazz/classical music. Maybe see if you can try them out before buying them and if they are acceptable for your taste in music.

Cheap headphones + a cheap mic + some branding. That's a gaming headset. You can get far better quality and a far better gaming experience with good headphones + a modmic. There is nothing special about "gaming" headsets.

You could always just pic a pair of headphones you like, then add another $50 or so to tack on a mod-mic. That's the way I'd do it.

If you want an actualy "Gaming Headset", my choice would be a pair of Sennheiser G4ME series. Sennheiser have become my "Go to" brand for headphones for about 5 years now. I've tried a good amount of their headphones, and I've been impressed by them in pretty much every price bracket.

Not really looking for a gaming headset for that price, the G4ME series are way to expensive. I'm planning on getting a separate microphone and headphone. 

The problem here is that for gaming (especially FPS) you want open back headphones for a larger soundstage, but electronic music usually sounds better with closed back headphones because they have more bass. If it's just for gaming then the AD700x or the open back AKG are a really good choice, but I don't know if you'll like them that much for your music. I love my AD900x to death, but that's because they really shine with female vocalists and Jazz/classical music. Maybe see if you can try them out before buying them and if they are acceptable for your taste in music.

Cheap headphones + a cheap mic + some branding. That's a gaming headset. You can get far better quality and a far better gaming experience with good headphones + a modmic. There is nothing special about "gaming" headsets.

Do any of you guys own the AKG K612 Pros? Do they have alot of bass, as a competitive fps gamer , having too much bass can be a bad thing. Please excuse my pickiness, sorry.

Do any of you guys own the AKG K612 Pros? Do they have alot of bass, as a competitive fps gamer , having too much bass can be a bad thing. Please excuse my pickiness, sorry.

I don't own them, but I've had the pleasure to listen to quite a few of AKGs open back headphones. And from my experience with them (and from a few reviews) it seems like bass is about the same. It's pretty accurate bass, but by no means boomy or overwhelming. I doubt that it has any influence on gaming, it just makes them a bit more fun. Also, keep in mind that you'll need an amp to get 100% out of your AKGs. They're 120 Ohms and can be surprisingly hard to drive.

I don't own them, but I've had the pleasure to listen to quite a few of AKGs open back headphones. And from my experience with them (and from a few reviews) it seems like bass is about the same. It's pretty accurate bass, but by no means boomy or overwhelming. I doubt that it has any influence on gaming, it just makes them a bit more fun. Also, keep in mind that you'll need an amp to get 100% out of your AKGs. They're 120 Ohms and can be surprisingly hard to drive.

I think I should be fine with my motherboard audio.

How do the HD558s and the AD700x compete with the K612s? 

AKG K612s are fairly neutral while having more bass usually than other open headphones. The AD700 lack bass and I believe the HD558 rolls off in the highs and lows while having a stronger mid. 

I could just give you a comparison between my AD900x and something like the K702. I personally prefer the Audio Technica (even though the 3D wing design is horrible and needs to be modded for 90% of the people using them) because of their sound signature and the "airiness" that you get with them. The soundstage is just ridiculously large and they're the most open design I've ever seen tbh. The K702 had a bit more bass and obviously were way more comfortable out of the box. From what I could find the K612 pro are supposed to be even warmer and they have a slightly narrower soundstage (some people might even prefer that because it's a bit more natural), so that's that, I have no experience with the Sennheiser HD558s, so no comment on that.

They don't.  B)

Just kidding - they compete by being cheaper priced.

Edit:

Yes, I have a pair. They are not bass-heavy, but the bass is much more present than it was on my previously-owned K701. Treble and mids still reign supreme, but the bass will be adequate enough for EDM.

Any other suggestions or input? HD558s, AD700x, K612s or others?  

Do the pc363d fall into the doom pit of the gaming headsets (I am asking coz I bought them) or are they the exception?

Just a guess, but I think the HD558 and/or the AD700x will eat the A40 for breakfast....

They work well for gaming. Plus, by the time you get into that price range, it becomes hard for me to tell the difference between products. I just say "what ever!"

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

They work well for gaming.

So do headphones, while also sounding good. Do I have to repeat myself.

Audio's audio. Gaming isn't special.

I can also vote ad900x. those are pretty nice :)  

I'm personally running, mdr-r1's with a XLR at2020 and they are magical, and i'd buy the ad900x for gaming but it costs a really pretty penny :( 

Also what about those audio-technica gaming headsets? Are those any good, they're in his price range and I can say the mic/sound quality on most of their products are great.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Actually, the OP wants a jack-of-all-trades type of headphones. Not gaming headphones.

Sennheiser G4ME One gets my vote. That is, if you're willing to spend quite a bit. Forget the Astro A40s. They are really good for gaming, but quite subpar for music and movies. I was able to listen to the G4ME One a week ago at a Sennheiser booth. Damn. Saving up now. LOL

Ryzen 5 2600 OCd to 3.9Ghz @ 1.275v l Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wifi l MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super

GSkill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 l NZXT Kraken M22 AIO l Deepcool Macube 310P

Do the pc363d fall into the doom pit of the gaming headsets (I am asking coz I bought them) or are they the exception?

Depends what price you paid. They use the same drivers as the HD 5xx series. Compare prices, and the difference is what you're paying for the integrated Mic, essentially.

Also what about those audio-technica gaming headsets? Are those any good, they're in his price range and I can say the mic/sound quality on most of their products are great.

Same drivers as the ATH-A(D)700X, so again look at price differences. :)

Same drivers as the ATH-A(D)700X, so again look at price differences. :)

Amazon's price, AD700x = $140, ADG1 = $300.

Essentially $160 to buy the mic + dat bonafide feeling (of using a $300 headset)....:P