[Build Log] Gnosis: Half-Breed Evolution, Laptop to Desktop conversion.

FranBunnyFFXII

@Vitalius But did that really require you to like nearly every reply in the thread xD

I love it. In fact, I think this is my favorite build I've seen yet. 9/10 

It'd be 10/10 if you'd link me to that background of yours. This one, specifically. ;)

No, but seriously, epic idea. I can't understand how Dual Screen gaming doesn't hurt your head, but that is a cool super power to have (like I can game for any period of time without my eyes hurting).

Here ya go: jjRhkmS.jpg

All of my wallpapers can be found here: WARNING [NOT SAFE FOR WORK] http://imgur.com/a/367Zu (mature content) well I haven't updated this since feburary.

Not gonna lie here, I dont think I could ignore the bezel in the middle, with the crosshair being split in many games. I could see in a top down scrolling camera view being alright with it I guess. I think the curved screens is where it is going to go next. 48x10 aspect ratio on a 55" curved would be schweet.

You just have to learn to focus beyond the bezel.

I love a monitor that was 32:9 at 3200x900~3840x1080, but it'd have to be as small as they can make it it realistically. Big monitors have too little pixel density for me. That's why i keep picking up very small. Also the perspective is what matters not necessarily the actual physical span size.

Perspective and Pixel density>large physical size.

I wrote a bit on how getting past the center bezel works.

[...]

The 3rd monitor is a perspective too wide and warping, even with FoV changes.

Like i said your brain will acclimate. The problem is that you're intentionally focusing on the bezel and letting it get to you, instead of looking past it and letting your brain phase it out.

There's an interesting effect with the way the occular processing works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troxler's_fading

It's an associated function.

If you focus on the bezel you'll see the bezel, if you look past it and look at the image, the bezel disappears.

It's interesting, once I was playing vindictus and I went into a storm drain that had bars on it, i tried focusing on the bars and the bezel seemed to jump back out, because I was trying to see blackish bars on the screen.

The interesting thing is that you have to trust your brain and knowledge, and disbelieve your eyes. Eventually your brain learns to adapt and not directly see the bezel by not processing it in your vision.

If you think about the bezel, you're going to see the bezel, if you think about it being there then the jarring will occur.

If you try to look past the bezel, act like it's not there leave it out of your recognition, then you no longer react to it. Infact there's been some things some games where that bezel ill actually focus on it for a particular part for aiming accuracy. I did that with Mirrors edge at a part that I have never gotten right the first time. It was with this set up that I did it the first time and have never fallen off of the pipes.

Also minimizing the bezel does help a lot. The thinner the better.

If you turn on bezel compenstation you actually loose a bit of your picture and you can't learn to process it. turn it off and you see the whole picture.

You're damning yourself by thinking too much about the bezel, look beyond the bezel, don't believe it's there, and it goes away. You're approaching it wrong. Take your preconsieved notions and let it go, take your knowledge and focus. you'll get it.

This is the same way that pilots learn to fly aircraft with a lot of obscuring instrumentation: http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/0/2/0/2003020.jpg

http://defence.pk/gallery/data/648/medium/f16cockpit1.jpg

Infact anytime I remember a game in EyefinityDS, I don't even remember the bezel being there.

Troxler's fading, or the Troxler Effect, is an optical illusion affecting visual perception. When one fixates on a particular point for even a short period of time, an unchanging stimulus away from the fixation point will fade away and disappear. Recent research suggests that at least some portion of the perceptual phenomenon associated with Troxler's fading occurred in the brain.

Image i - In this example, the spots in the "lilac chaser" illusion fade away after several seconds when the black cross is stared at long enough. This leaves a grey background and the cross. Some viewers may notice that the moving space has faded into a moving blue-green spot, possibly with a short trail following it. Furthermore, moving one's eyes away from the image after a period of time may result in a brief, strong afterimage of a circle of green spots.

@Vitalius But did that really require you to like nearly every reply in the thread xD

tumblr_ltong472TP1qe8a0fo4_r1_250.gif

Here ya go:

All of my wallpapers can be found here: WARNING [NOT SAFE FOR WORK] http://imgur.com/a/367Zu (mature content) well I haven't updated this since feburary.

That makes sense. I think too much. I have trouble not focusing on things. That's probably why.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

• 2 weeks later...
Mini update. All of the makeshift cables I have replaced because I've made real handmade USB fan power cables now. Added a 3rd (air injection) fan to the array.

I figured out the right position for my hard drive cage and I know how to mount it and I think I have the idea set in stone on how to mount the power supply as well.

XjgErmo.jpg

• 1 month later...

I love to see stuff like this. This is awesome. ;)

It's a good idea but whats the point? I'll follow.

Cause she felt like it, is my take on why.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

• 4 weeks later...

It's a good idea but whats the point? I'll follow.

What's the point?

To expand and develop on hardware I already have and demonstrait the vast possibilities of modern computer hardware.

It's also cheaper than building a PC with the intended graphics card and matching performance.

My laptop already has an overclocked I7 ivybridge CPU, which means to beat it I'd need a haswell i7, RAM 12GB 1866 means desktop 16gb 1866mhz, so on and so forth.

It's cheaper to build this than it is to build an entirely new machine.

whats to understand?

dock laptop into PC, hook up the PCI-E adapter you have a laptop you can upgrade

want to leave home? unhook PCI-E adapter pop the bottom back on. Head out :)

the laptop is a good spec

- any graphics card you want.

- easy to upgrade

- much cheaper than a PC (only have to buy PCI-E aapter + GFX, not all the parts

ok its not quite their yet. but very interesting :)

whats to understand?

dock laptop into PC, hook up the PCI-E adapter you have a laptop you can upgrade

want to leave home? unhook PCI-E adapter pop the bottom back on. Head out :)

the laptop is a good spec

- any graphics card you want.

- easy to upgrade

- much cheaper than a PC (only have to buy PCI-E aapter + GFX, not all the parts

ok its not quite their yet. but very interesting :)

Currently right now, her setup is just a laptop in a Cooling + Port replicator, not an external GPU.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

I flirted with this idea over the summer, and I still am with an old laptop I have laying around somewhere....

I think i only saw one project where someone actually converted a laptop into a desktop, but I like your idea better as a port.

I think the only difference between our scenarios is the CPU in my laptop was just so weak and the release of the pentium g3258 pretty much sealed the deal on the decision to build a desktop

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

• 3 months later...

how did you get them to send you that?

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

I think a few people are missing that I'm not modding the laptop so it's unusable.

What people aren't catching is that I'm basically creating a massive glorified docking station.

I will be able to pull the laptop out of the case and still use it as a laptop.

I'll be able to take it out of the case, pull out the laptop powerbrick, drop the travel hard drive back in, then put the backplate back on and go.

I'll have a USB Wifi adaptor to replace the wifi card that was taken out so I could utilize graphics card hardware.

But the laptop certainly won't be made immobile. 

Not really hiding it away, its just "Things aren't always what they seem" ~Zyra

cool I love the idea of a massive dock, I wish I had thought of that when I had my g75 , but I lacked the technical know how back then

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

how did you get them to send you that?

I've been a long time customer of theirs and I've stood up for Alienware and tried to help get rid of the lies and myths that people tell about alienware, as well as helped a lot of people with their Alienware systems over the years as well.

It's just their way of saying thanks for being a good customer and community member.

I keep forgetting Dell has their own forums. Im glad to see this thread going again. Always thought it was a neat idea.

Well there's Alienware specific forums, but I've been around the net to many places helping people with Alienware stuff.

From overclock.net, notebookreview, and other places.

Also I did some space testing with the card.

I couldn't get a picture of me holding the card up when the laptop is inside but the clearence is great, there's more than ample room.

Pics

ivlVbFG.jpg

oKM6WI6.jpg

oC9ipFv.jpg

ImJ66SA.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Keep up the updates, i'm interested in the plan for this system. :)

I got myself an Alienware 13 last week, and might get the Graphics amplifier in the future.