New security reforms in Australia

LifesCompanion

Due to the recent, Snowden scandal, various countries in the "West" started to draft data retention laws - the US and UK being the more notable examples. 

And Australia being well... Australia, decided to coat tail and proposed a major data retention and information leak laws; say you leak some controversial information about the CISA bill, you could face up to 10 years in jail and internet firms, not just ISPs may be forced to store up to 2 years of customer data. This new law is being created under the pretence of 

"growing concern over the terrorism threat posed by an estimated 150 Australians who are involved with extremist groups in the Middle East, though they are also aimed at combating international espionage."

To make matters even worse, this proposed law gives the ASIO (Australian Security Intelligence Organisation) to hack innocent third party PC's and entire networks with a single warrant. 

Also the Abbott government plans on getting rid of a loop hole that's existed in the law regarding the keeping/removing/copying of sensitive information, previously, you could keep such information but now if you're found to be in possession f such material, you may face up to 3 years in jail. 

~rant~

While I can see why Australian government is concerned, I think it's going to a bit too far... the recent data retention laws and what not are starting to make me really concerned about not just net neutrality but also the general idea of privacy. Say this proposed law doesn't go through but a toned down version does, it means that current kids, will grow up being used to constantly tapped/general lack of security. I am not too stoked about that. 

While a lot of people say that the Western countries have this amazing thing called freedom, I'm starting to see a sharp decline in it. 

Source: Sydney Morning Herald 

big+brother2.png

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

So this is because of an "estimation" of 150 aussies... I love living in New Zealand :D

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

So this is because of an "estimation" of 150 aussies... I love living in New Zealand :D

150... the actual number in fact may be somewhere between 0 and 150, we have no hard evidence of these 150 "terrorists" - granted, the ASIO would have more information blah blah blah but as long as we have no evidence, I'm going to be a cynic and say we're fucked. 

Considering how our governments are butt buddies, I wouldn't be surprised if you guys got fucked as well. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

150... the actual number in fact may be somewhere between 0 and 150, we have no hard evidence of these 150 "terrorists" - granted, the ASIO would have more information blah blah blah but as long as we have no evidence, I'm going to be a cynic and say we're fucked. 

Considering how our governments are butt buddies, I wouldn't be surprised if you guys got fucked as well. 

True, but Dotcom will probs pay John Key off...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Sometimes i forget who is really terrorising us! :mellow:

Details separate people.

Oh no. 

Ah well.

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

This is bs the "terrorists" are just doing it for attention and they are not come here there fighting in the Middle East ffs and there is no way there are 150 of them this is just tony abott the scum he is trying to make a new NSA and seriously I'm so surprised he hasn't been assassinated.

I am a muslim living in Australia as a student though most of my browsing includes watching youtube vids, now I guess I am not among those 150 extremist, until linus tries to make an IED bomb:)