H100i vs H110

So I'm undecided between the H100i and the H110. The H100i has the easier installation along with better software support but the H110 has the better cooling out of the box and significantly better cooling with aftermarket fans.

I don't really care much about the H100i software but the 240mm size definitely accommodates more case/install options. Which I can't even install the H110 or H110i in my Antec p180 at the moment so I guess that isn't an immediate issue since I can get a new case that su pports 140mm in the top.

Really just need some peoples opinions to help sway me one way or the other. I'm currently leaning towards the H110 because of the better cooling and less noise.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

H110 is better but why not Noctua NH-D15?

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

yep this. D15 beats them both in every way.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Because the Noctua coolers limit you so much.

Limits me in term of what?

My PC

yep this. D15 beats them both in every way.

No. It looks like crap, extremely difficult to install, covers up all your motherboard plugs, limits you to LP ram, and doesn't match any colour scheme.

To the OP, if you re not going to use the Corsair Link software just get the H110 for better performance.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

RAM height, case width, top PCI access, motherboard heatsinks

Thats true but i guess it depends on the OP

My PC

The D15 has cutouts for ram and Motherboard heatsinks.  Unless they're like 4 inches tall you'd be fine

Its not like the H100/H110 doesn't make you have a relatively high end case to fit them

The Kraken X41 would be my first choice

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Why WOULD I get an NH-D14 over an H110? I'm a huge Noctua fan (no pun intended dammit) and I even like the colors a lot, shit I even had a dream build that had all Noctua fans and a NH-D14 in a Corsair 650D but none of that is going to happen so there isn't a point to limiting myself to a NH-D14.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

No. It looks like crap, extremely difficult to install, covers up all your motherboard plugs, limits you to LP ram, and doesn't match any colour scheme.

To the OP, if you re not going to use the Corsair Link software just get the H110 for better performance.

well the colour is opinion, Difficult to install? so what if it is, you only have to do it once. LP ram (you can still use normal ram and take the heatsinks off).

lets say the OP doesnt mind the noctua colours and can install both the D15 and H110. The noctua performs better, is alot more reliable and most importantly is miles quieter than the H110.

Why WOULD I get an NH-D14 over an H110? I'm a huge Noctua fan (no pun intended dammit) and I even like the colors a lot, shit I even had a dream build that had all Noctua fans and a NH-D14 in a Corsair 650D but none of that is going to happen so there isn't a point to limiting myself to a NH-D14.

the D15 performs better, is cheaper, more reliable and does all that at half the noise of the h110.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

lol noctua fan :)

and well this is why

The noctua performs better, is alot more reliable and most importantly is miles quieter than the H110.

My PC

well the colour is opinion, Difficult to install? so what if it is, you only have to do it once. LP ram (you can still use normal ram and take the heatsinks off).

lets say the OP doesnt mind the noctua colours and can install both the D15 and H110.  The noctua performs better, is alot more reliable and most importantly is miles quieter than the H110.

A couple db is not miles quieter. It also does not give a ton more performance, maybe a couple degrees. Doesn't really make any significant difference when your CPU is already 55C at load. It's not just the crap noctua colours, you can change the fans. Its the ugly chrome metal heatsink which blocks the view of everything in your case and doesn't fit in unless you have a chrome coloured PC.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

lets say the OP doesnt mind the noctua colours and can install both the D15 and H110.  The noctua performs better, is alot more reliable and most importantly is miles quieter than the H110.

Last time I check the NH-D14 does not perform better, isn't really that much quieter (like maybe 3 dB's) but yea I can see it being more reliable but I don't think I'll have an issue with the H110 breaking on me.

Please link me to somewhere reliable showing that the NH-D14 is as quiet and cool as you say it is.

Last time I check the NH-D14 does not perform better, isn't really that much quieter (like maybe 3 dB's) but yea I can see it being more reliable but I don't think I'll have an issue with the H110 breaking on me.

Please link me to somewhere reliable showing that the NH-D14 is as quiet and cool as you say it is.

D15...15 not 14. Also stop looking at db levels, they are measured inaccurately and don't give you any indication to quiet something is. IRL the sound difference between the h110 and D15 is HUGE, it really is. It doesn't matter if the specs say they are both the same db or whatever.

A couple db is not miles quieter. It also does not give a ton more performance, maybe a couple degrees. Doesn't really make any significant difference when your CPU is already 55C at load. It's not just the crap noctua colours, you can change the fans. Its the ugly chrome metal heatsink which blocks the view of everything in your case and doesn't fit in unless you have a chrome coloured PC.

I never said it gives a ton more performance. I said it performs better than the h110, which it does.

And please stop looking at DB levels, they are just stupid and need to stop being used. In real life the difference in noise is huge, no matter what the specs say.

I never said it gives a ton more performance. I said it performs better than the h110, which it does.

And please stop looking at DB levels, they are just stupid and need to stop being used. In real life the difference in noise is huge, no matter what the specs say.

Have you actually owned both the H110 and NH-D15 and compared them irl? Nope. So who are you to say what the noise level is. I have an H100i and it is quieter than the 15db fans I have. It is a great CPU cooler and actually lets me see stuff inside my case such as the motherboard, ram, cables, etc...

Spoiler

D15...15 not 14.    Also stop looking at db levels, they are measured inaccurately and don't give you any indication to quiet something is.        IRL the sound difference between the h110 and D15 is HUGE, it really is. It doesn't matter if the specs say they are both the same db or whatever. 

Ahh ok sorry about the D14 thing, dyslexia can be a pain in the ass sometimes. As big of a Noctua fan that I am I don't think I can bring myself to get the NH-D15 over an H110. I'll probably switch back to aircoolers but I'd like to own a watercooler atleast once haha

Have you actually owned both the H110 and NH-D15 and compared them irl? Nope. So who are you to say what the noise level is. I have an H100i and it is quieter than the 15db fans I have. It is a great CPU cooler and actually lets me see stuff inside my case such as the motherboard, ram, cables, etc...

this is why I hate when people use db numbers. If you turn everything in your house off, and sit there in the middle of the night in absolute silence the noise is still at around 30db. Aesthetics are an opinion, I think my u14s looks 10x better than my old AIO. and no I haven't tried the H110, But i KNOW it will make pump and fan noise that will be miles louder than a good airocooler.

I mean seriously, if both options fit in your case, the ONLY reason you would get an h110 over a d15 is looks, absoutly nothing else.

Ahh ok sorry about the D14 thing, dyslexia can be a pain in the ass sometimes. As big of a Noctua fan that I am I don't think I can bring myself to get the NH-D15 over an H110. I'll probably switch back to aircoolers but I'd like to own a watercooler atleast once haha

yeah, thats the reason I got a AIO at first. When I think back I was being abit childish just wanting to be able to say "my pc is watercooled" but now that I switched to aircooling, I know it is superior to AIO's in almost everyway. That is why I am trying to convince you to get an Air cooler. Unless you really really really want to be able to say "my PC is WC'd"

this is why I hate when people use db numbers.   If you turn everything in your house off, and sit there in the middle of the night in absolute silence the noise is still at around 30db.     Aesthetics are an opinion, I think my u14s looks 10x better than my old AIO. and no I haven't tried the H110, But i KNOW it will make pump and fan noise that will be miles louder than a good airocooler.    

I mean seriously, if both options fit in your case, the ONLY reason you would get an h110 over a d15 is looks, absoutly nothing else. 

There is a power button on your PC for a reason...

Spoiler

There is a power button on your PC for a reason...

what? you can't use your PC while it is off you know?

what? you can't use your PC while it is off you know?

So you sleep and use your PC at the same time?

xD

Spoiler

So you sleep and use your PC at the same time?

xD

I'm talking about the noise when using the PC, I like to have the quietist PC possible because I sit extremely close to it and only wear headphones when gaming.

yeah, thats the reason I got a AIO at first. When I think back I was being abit childish just wanting to be able to say "my pc is watercooled" but now that I switched to aircooling, I know it is superior to AIO's in almost everyway. That is why I am trying to convince you to get an Air cooler. Unless you really really really want to be able to say "my PC is WC'd"

I don't want to be able to say that, I just want to own one. And I guess I fail to see why you think so highly of air coolers over AIO's. I've am and will probably always be an air cooler person but something about the NH-D15 isn't appealing me in my situation. I love the fan colors but I hate the polished aluminum. Either way it isn't going to be a waste of money and I'll be able to say personally what I like better or not.

If you're going to use an AIO, I'd recommend the CM Glacer or Swiftech H220 over the corsair rubbish. Ymmv of course.

Both of those are unjustifiably more expensive, I AM tempted though to get a Swiftech H320, that would be really awesome to have.