Why isnt GPU Water cooling bigger on the market?

So I had this same question, googled it, and landed here. Considering the success of the R9 295x2, I am hoping to see more GPU's with AIO coolers pre-attached. There is plenty of case support, and you really don't need much more than 120mm fan and radiator. A very small price premium would be appropriate here (maybe $30) so it could be considered anywhere in the $200+ tier of GPU's I would think. Q: Do you like your 270x? A: Why yes, yes I do! Q: Would you like it better with silent AIO cooling for a mere $30 more? A: SURE! 

Really, why NOT?

@gogo809

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

cost factor, implied noise, and more to RMA with. the AIO RMA is pretty tough

for some. so making a GPU fully dependable on liquid cooling could make for

some unhappier customers.

valid points you have made, but the h2o/GPU has been around for a bit and it

just hasn't taken off. most buy on budget and look to upgrades later. water

cooling is on that upgrade agenda.

performance-wise, it would move the overclocking potential higher, but again

a large percentage of builders (novice/veteran) might have attempted to do

so and couldn't make it work, so they leave it at stock and they are happy.

the add-on kits like Corsair and NZXT make that upgrade list, if/when they have

the cash/need. GPU mannies are struggling to stay ahead of the technology

and watch every penny as to make the next venture happen sooner.

supply-side economics. if they don't have to spend the money for a sale, they

won't. now to band-aid an issue of what Hawaii has, then it is prolly a helping

hand, but the miners would have really complained and moaned. $30+markup

is a totally real thing. consumer would be spending $75 more by the time the

distros have they percentage.

valid points you have made, but the h2o/GPU has been around for a bit and it

just hasn't taken off. most buy on budget and look to upgrades later. water

cooling is on that upgrade agenda.

That's very true! Pretty much every one I know, that wants me to built them a new rig or upgrade the existing one (except a couple of enthusiasts) calculate their computers to the last dime and 30-50 dollars can make a difference here especially when it comes to GPUs and CPUs...

Besides that a lot of people are afraid of having liquids or custom parts (and for this particular reason I include here AIO watercooling and aftermarket air coolers within) in their computers at home. I never use my main rig as a selling argument but many people look at it and they are amazed of 2 custom watercooled loops, but in all reality they want something that makes them feel "my ass is covered for a long time, because when a manufacturer releases this GPU with this cooler it must be the best solution"...

TBH that's okay for most of the people, they are just looking for a computer that they can use for gaming, browsing and streaming for a good long while.

Sometimes I'm impressed how less people use any custom parts in their computers, even though you can reduce noise have better results,etc... and usually they don't even need things like unlocked CPUs because they are never planning to overclock any of their parts.

As a final conclusion I'd say because the mainstream users are okay with whatever they get as stock, AIO, custom cooling, compressor cooling, etc. will stay some kind of niche for hardware fans and enthusiasts.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling