How to prevent thermal throttle (i think its called) on a laptop?

Firearm2112

On my laptop sometimes when Im playing a game just fine, very smooth, then all of a sudden it will start... I dont want to say lagging because its not frame drop. Its more like studdering. 

Whats the best way to prevent this? Its really annoying.

Thanks!

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Get better cooling for your laptop. Even if it is by external means.

On my laptop sometimes when Im playing a game just fine, very smooth, then all of a sudden it will start... I dont want to say lagging because its not frame drop. Its more like studdering. 

Whats the best way to prevent this? Its really annoying.

Thanks!

1. Get a laptop cooler

2. Get a desktop

"Rawr XD"

Would people stop giving the get a desktop excuse... are you willing to give the OP the money for a desktop?

Make sure you're playing on a hard surface - nothing like a blanket that might suffocate the air intakes. A cooling pad might be helpful, but when selecting one, try and make sure the fans are positioned below the air intakes. Also, open it up and clear out the dust on the fans using some compressed air. If you still have problems, you could try to redo the thermal paste on the CPU.

Are you 100% sure your problems are due to temperature? What temperatures are you seeing while gaming?

Would people stop giving the get a desktop excuse... are you willing to give the OP the money for a desktop?

We're just joking. He's going to be getting one soon (hopefully)

"Rawr XD"

Make sure you're playing on a hard surface - nothing like a blanket that might suffocate the air intakes. A cooling pad might be helpful, but when selecting one, try and make sure the fans are positioned below the air intakes. Also, open it up and clear out the dust on the fans using some compressed air. If you still have problems, you could try to redo the thermal paste on the CPU.

Are you 100% sure your problems are due to temperature? What temperatures are you seeing while gaming?

Im playing on my woodden desk so thats not the issue. Might try for a cooler pad, and my laptop really isnt take apart and do stuff to it friendly

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

cooling pad would do the job but would reduce only 20% of heat temps! 

lag spikes on laptop are usually caused by accumulated dust in CPU heatsink, cleanse every single part of your laptop!

If the thing is new and this problem existed since you brought it, Get a laptop cooling pad and keep your room cold.

If this problem is new and your laptop is old, open it up and clean it with a dust blaster and replace the thermal paste (Will void warrenty). You could also get a laptop cooling pad and keep your room colder to help temperatures more.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Delete any Stephen Harper references in registry, they will damage any system.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.