talk him out of a 780ti

JewishBacon
Go to solution Solved by Trik'Stari,

Generally speaking, if your rig can outdo a console, you're up to date and or future proof :P

so my buddy is going to do a new build that he deems "futureproof".  he seems to think that he needs a 512 GB ssd, with 2 TB of storage and bla bla bla 32 gb ram, 780ti 800watt fully modular psu whatever. he is planning on spending like 2.5k on the build with another 700 on a custom water loop.  he has a 60hz monitor.  his reasoning is that he wont have to change GPUs for at least 3 years. which i suppose is true. but at the 3 year mark hell have to get a different gpu. while he may be correct on that 3 year bit. he will have an $800 startup cost and whatever the replacement gpu costs.  whereas if he got a 290 or 280x he could spend that tier cost twice possibly before he exceeds the cost of the 780ti. can you guys think of anything else i can tell him to try and change his mind?

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

"futureproof"

but at the 3 year mark hell have to get a different gpu

Oh i'm pretty sure hell works with daisy chained 290's 

also you could search the forum for the mindblowing numbers of build plans from 1$ to 1 zillion $ and show him

I agree with the 2TB hard drive and the 800W PSU but nothing else.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

-snip-

The 780Ti is a fine card for that budget. The 60Hz monitor is the biggest problem there.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

"futureproof"

OH CHEESUS CRUST THAT WORD I HATE IT

Oh i'm pretty sure hell works with daisy chained 290's 

i cried a bit when he said it 

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

while he may be correct on that 3 year bit. he will have an $800 startup cost and whatever the replacement gpu costs.  whereas if he got a 290 or 280x he could spend that tier cost twice possibly before he exceeds the cost of the 780ti.

Could you clarify this in english please?

Also, why do you want to talk him out of the 780ti? Are you jealous? it's a great graphics card, and it is always better to have a single more powerful GPU than two lower-end ones in SLI/CFX

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

so my buddy is going to do a new build that he deems "futureproof".  he seems to think that he needs a 512 GB ssd, with 2 TB of storage and bla bla bla 32 gb ram, 780ti 800watt fully modular psu whatever. he is planning on spending like 2.5k on the build with another 700 on a custom water loop.  he has a 60hz monitor.  his reasoning is that he wont have to change GPUs for at least 3 years. which i suppose is true. but at the 3 year mark hell have to get a different gpu. while he may be correct on that 3 year bit. he will have an $800 startup cost and whatever the replacement gpu costs.  whereas if he got a 290 or 280x he could spend that tier cost twice possibly before he exceeds the cost of the 780ti. can you guys think of anything else i can tell him to try and change his mind?

How much is the overall cost of the pc?

@Generallee not that it matters to me since I'm not christian but I don't think you should take the Lord's name in vain.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

could you show us the planned build so that we can suggest the GPU options?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I'd agree with him about his storage needs, his choice of graphics cards isn't bad if he didn't want to spend as much then he could purchase a 780/R9 290. 800w less psu is fine if he'll be running dual/triple gpu's in mind, note that he should research between power supply manufacturer's for which cables are needed.

could you show us the planned build so that we can suggest the GPU options?

His buddy wants a 780 ti

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

Could you clarify this in english please?

Also, why do you want to talk him out of the 780ti? Are you jealous? it's a great graphics card, and it is always better to have a single more powerful GPU than two lower-end ones in SLI/CFX

ok sorry about the poorly worded sentence.  if he got a 280x or 290 or a card in that price range, he could get good enough performance to where he would not notice a difference. in 3 years when he goes to replace the lower tier card he could buy a card of the same tier for the cost of that 780ti that he would be replacing at that time.  and I dont even care if he wants to get a 780ti or 4 titans in sli. if he gets it because he would use it, that would be fine. but literally battlefield 4 is his hardest thing to run.   have a 280x and i love it.   

I'd agree with him about his storage needs, his choice of graphics cards isn't bad if he didn't want to spend as much then he could purchase a 780/R9 290. 800w less psu is fine if he'll be running dual/triple gpu's in mind, note that he should research between power supply manufacturer's for which cables are needed.

His buddy wants a 780 ti

well if his buddy thinks his build may be future proof 

it best to have a look at the system in whole and suggest ways to improve it

the GTX780Ti is a nice to have GPU for 1200P Ultra gaming but any higher like 1440P or 4K gaming it will struggle

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

i think you should talk him out of the water loop not the 780ti, the 32gb or ram, 5212gb ssd and 2tb hdd he will likely not have to upgrade for 7+ years and look at the 680, its been out for almost 2.5 years and most dont find a reason to upgrade.

i would tell him like 2 things 

1) if you want to future proof a little, wait for the 880(ti)

2) dont go full waterloop, its overkill, just get a aio cpu cooler and leave your gpu on air

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

the GTX780Ti is a nice to have GPU for 1200P Ultra gaming but any higher like 1440P or 4K gaming it will struggle

1200P? Never hearda that obscure resolution unless you meant 1920x1200p. It'll be fine for 1440p definitely not 4K.

1200P? Never hearda that obscure resolution unless you meant 1920x1200p. It'll be fine for 1440p definitely not 4K.

yes i was referring to the 19:10 ratio 1980x1200

1440P is alright but add AAx8 and bam the 3GB VRAM gets used up

try this build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ellanglois/saved/FHn8TW it does not include the water. but hes going with a 1080 monitor. probably a tv 

i think you should talk him out of the water loop not the 780ti, the 32gb or ram, 5212gb ssd and 2tb hdd he will likely not have to upgrade for 7+ years and look at the 680, its been out for almost 2.5 years and most dont find a reason to upgrade.

i would tell him like 2 things 

1) if you want to future proof a little, wait for the 880(ti)

2) dont go full waterloop, its overkill, just get a aio cpu cooler and leave your gpu on air

Yeah changing parts in a custom loop system can be a hassle. Also he probably isn't responsible to do a full loop cleanout every 6 months like should be done.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Look at the 580. It's not really that great of a card and people predicted that it would play games at good frame rates with good resolutions for years to come. Future proofing doesn't exist.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

ok sorry about the poorly worded sentence.  if he got a 280x or 290 or a card in that price range, he could get good enough performance to where he would not notice a difference. in 3 years when he goes to replace the lower tier card he could buy a card of the same tier for the cost of that 780ti that he would be replacing at that time.  and I dont even care if he wants to get a 780ti or 4 titans in sli. if he gets it because he would use it, that would be fine. but literally battlefield 4 is his hardest thing to run.   have a 280x and i love it.   

Why a TV?

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I don't see why people are going out and getting 32GB of ram to "Futureproof" their computers, yes the amount that you will use has gone up over the years, but by the time he would have to upgrade the amount of ram by getting 16GB he most likely would have to get a whole new motherboard and new ram as DDR4 is going to be more widely used in the next few years, not only that but if he needs more ram then he can go get more.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Don't talk him out of it, if he wants the single best balls to the wall gaming experience where you max everything 60 fps at 1080p, you aren't going to get that anywhere except CF/SLI setups and the 780 ti.

Look at the 580. It's not really that great of a card and people predicted that it would play games at good frame rates with good resolutions for years to come. Future proofing doesn't exist.

Why would you look at a card that is 2 gens old? If you want something like the 580 just get a 760....

If you possess the funds to get the best, do yourself a favor, and get the best. We should all be happy that "futureproofing" doesn't exist. If that were the case, then we would know that our available performance is peaking. I bought a 780 Ti because I had the funds, and building is my hobby. Grow a pair, and throw some money at it. Or, make sensible upgrades when the time is right.

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

290x is cheaper and basically the same performance, I'd recommend that instead tbh

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

290x is cheaper and basically the same performance, I'd recommend that instead tbh

Have you looked at 1080p benchmarks?