Compact Budget G3258 Build

Nocturne
Go to solution Solved by brob,

Hello,

This is my first post, kinda new hehe...

I need a few opinions my first gaming build, utilizing the new Pentium G3258 and the new BIOS update ASUS released for H81, H87, H97 and B85 mobos:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Azalies/saved/kbcRsY

No need to say that I aim to overclock the Pentium.

The purpose of this build is to be low cost (under 600$) while compact. I assume that the main issue, since this is a compact build, would be airflow and temps. Do you approve of the CPU cooler? Should I buy aftermarket fans too? And also, what about the PSU? Is there a better option?

I plan to run this setup on a 1080p 60Hz monitor. Do you think it will be able to run games like Crysis 3 on High with 60+ fps? Its kinda ambitious, but if not, what can I expect from it?

Thank you so much, great to be a member such a supportive community :)

Asrock is not Asus. As far as I know Asrock has not announced an oc BIOS update for H81, etc. They have announced a Z97M Anniversary motherboard but I am not sure that it is available at the moment.

It may be some time before Asus starts shipping the new BIOS on its motherboards, if it ever does. Presumably the G3258 will run on old BIOS but if it doesn't motherboards that do not have the oc enabled BIOS will have to be flashed using a different cpu (unless the motherboard has the Asus USB BIOS Flashback feature).

Otherwise, as others have commented it is a solid build. An ssd would be a great addition.

Hello,

I need a few opinions my first gaming build, utilizing the new Pentium G3258 and the new BIOS update ASUS released for H81, H87, H97 and B85 mobos:

The purpose of this build is to be low cost (under 600$) while compact. I assume that the main issue, since this is a compact build, would be airflow and temps. Do you approve of the CPU cooler? Should I buy aftermarket fans too? And also, what about the PSU? Is there a better option?

I plan to run this setup on a 1080p 60Hz monitor. Do you think it will be able to run games like Crysis 3 on High with 60+ fps? Its kinda ambitious, but if not, what can I expect from it?

Pretty perfect if you ask me, though I would not call that compact

you could easily fit this in a small box! Like a RVZ01 and get a low profile cooler

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thanks for your input guys!

Pretty perfect if you ask me, though I would not call that compact

you could easily fit this in a small box! Like a RVZ01 and get a low profile cooler

I'm pretty sure the CM N200 is small enough for me, and the thing about these mini PC boxes like the RVZ01 you mentioned is that I'd have to change the mobo to fit it inside (The only one that is both able to overclock the Pentium and is a MITX is the B85M-ITX - which is a tad more expensive), plus airflow would be a problem especially with a high temp running GPU like the R9 280.

Thanks for the feedback tho!

Thanks for your input guys!

I'm pretty sure the CM N200 is small enough for me, and the thing about these mini PC boxes like the RVZ01 you mentioned is that I'd have to change the mobo to fit it inside (The only one that is both able to overclock the Pentium and is a MITX is the B85M-ITX - which is a tad more expensive), plus airflow would be a problem especially with a high temp running GPU like the R9 280.

Thanks for the feedback tho!

No worries, yeah that case is still plenty small and your build is very well conceived so well done there! while a few components I would personally change I think for the budget provided there is nothing really better you can do for a small well specced gaming machine

Oh and welcome to the community

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

No worries, yeah that case is still plenty small and your build is very well conceived so well done there! while a few components I would personally change I think for the budget provided there is nothing really better you can do for a small well specced gaming machine

Oh and welcome to the community

Thanks man!

Hello,

Asrock is not Asus. As far as I know Asrock has not announced an oc BIOS update for H81, etc. They have announced a Z97M Anniversary motherboard but I am not sure that it is available at the moment.

It may be some time before Asus starts shipping the new BIOS on its motherboards, if it ever does. Presumably the G3258 will run on old BIOS but if it doesn't motherboards that do not have the oc enabled BIOS will have to be flashed using a different cpu (unless the motherboard has the Asus USB BIOS Flashback feature).

Otherwise, as others have commented it is a solid build. An ssd would be a great addition.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Wow, major slip up there, my bad. I guess I'd have to upgrade to a B85-E by ASUS, as there are no cheaper mobos that can overclock the G3258 and still be gaming-wise reliable.

Thanks alot, saved me alot of trouble... ^_^