"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

So today I finished building my first windows computer for the first time, I was at the point where I had to turn on the computer, then install OS and set everything up. But then every time I tried installing the OS or making a progress this would come out 

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" 

I've tried finding out what was the problem but  nothing had solved the problem at this point. I was wondering if it doesn't work because of the external disc drive I use? I also tried changing the boot priority but nothing would change. I hope you guys can help me out with this so I could use my new computer fast. I was also thinking if it would change if I used a usb drive instead to install the OS but I will have to see what you guys think! Hope you guys can help :) 

PC Specs ( Parts that might be included in this problem ): 

Seagate 2tb hard drive

Msi z87g45 Gaming mother board

Buffalo dvsm-ps58u2 external disc drive

Windows 8.1 64 bit

Have you tried connecting the external drive to different USB ports, preferably the rear io ones. If none of the USB ports work, Just install windows via a USB drive.

My PC Specs:          CPU: i5 4690k(stock speed of 3.50GHz)          GPU: MSI GTX 770 4GB          Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD and 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD             Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz           Motherboard: Z97 Asus Maximus VII Ranger          PSU: Corsair RM650 650W          CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO                    Case: Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl with window         OS: Windows 10 Pro                                

Have you tried connecting the external drive to different USB ports, preferably the rear io ones. If none of the USB ports work, Just install windows via a USB drive.

No, but I'm pretty sure its a problem with the external drive, maybe it isn't compatible.

after Windows 7 has done its installation and it wants to reboot to continue, you will see that message.  Just let it go and windows will boot and you can configure your password and type in your key etc. 

after Windows 7 has done its installation and it wants to reboot to continue, you will see that message.  Just let it go and windows will boot and you can configure your password and type in your key etc. 

The problem is that I can't install windows 8 

The problem is that I can't install windows 8

If your using an external DVD drive, take it to a friend and copy all the contents of the disk to a flash drive and boot from it. That might work