Use generic smartphone with just talk plan?

Pandalizer13

Hello, my dad wants a smartphone but my mom is insisting on him not spending so much money.  In fact he does not need one by any means (has hard time with technology and also not very good with English), but he really wants one.  RIght now they have only a at&t talk plan with 600 minutes with unlimited nights and weekends with texting and data disabled, so they don't accidentally send a text or use data and incur unwanted charges.

I think that once you insert the at&t sim into a phone, it will send the IMEI to at&t and they will know what phone you are using and if it is a smartphone, they will automatically add the data and messaging and everything that my dad does not know how to use or need whatsoever. 

My question is, if I buy him one of the generic chinese android phones on ebay and only use wifi and calling, would at&t know it is a smartphone(android) and start charging for the data and messages, or would they not know what kind of phone it is if it is a generic chinese made phone? 

Thanks!  I've tried giving him my iPad but he insists on getting a smart phone and showing off to his friends or something...

PS. if you know of a specific phone that will work, please share the link