i7 4790k Temperatures

delidded, compared to ivy bridge, haswell is a blast furnace xD.

Not delidded your choice of CPU cooler is irrelevant. Even delidded that claim comes from an assumption that overclocks across different generation CPUs are clock for clock equivalent, which is just wrong on every level.

Not delidded your choice of CPU cooler is irrelevant. Even delidded that claim comes from an assumption that overclocks across different generation CPUs are clock for clock equivalent, which is just wrong on every level.

the IPC is ~7% better on Haswell, this is true, but I'm speaking from the mobile market. It's extremely hot and uses a lot more power than Ivy Bridge, especially when overclocked. We like to call it blast furnace. 

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

the IPC is ~7% better on Haswell, this is true, but I'm speaking from the mobile market. It's extremely hot and uses a lot more power than Ivy Bridge, especially when overclocked. We like to call it blast furnace. 

Your first mistake is to overclock a laptop cpu and then complain about heat and power usage o.0

My Phanteks PH-TC14PE keeps it idle at 22c.

Laptop dude.....laptop!

Why the hell would you overclock a laptop? Or game on one.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Your first mistake is to overclock a laptop cpu and then complain about heat and power usage o.0

If the Ivy Bridge can do 4.8GHz drawing 120W and haswell wants 140W for 4.5GHz AND runs hotter, that's a step backward for efficiency/heat.

My Phanteks PH-TC14PE keeps it idle at 22c.

Laptop dude.....laptop!

Why the hell would you overclock a laptop? Or game on one.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3489139 mine

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2330540 Mr. Fox's

http://i.imgur.com/65c4v4R.jpg screenshot with settings for Mr. Fox's run

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/246907-how-mobile-i7-cpus-work/ laptop CPU information guide

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

If the Ivy Bridge can do 4.8GHz drawing 120W and haswell wants 140W for 4.5GHz AND runs hotter, that's a step backward for efficiency/heat.

You're comparing cross-generational clockspeeds as if they were equivalent again.

You're comparing cross-generational clockspeeds as if they were equivalent again.

4.8GHz ivy bridge > 4.5GHz haswell, cores & hyperthreads held equal. At least, as far as I've seen.

4.8GHz ivy bridge > 4.5GHz haswell, cores & hyperthreads held equal. At least, as far as I've seen.

It's quite an assumption that every Ivy Bridge i5 and i7 will do 4.8GHz, let alone will do it without becoming a "blast furnace".

It's quite an assumption that every Ivy Bridge i5 and i7 will do 4.8GHz, let alone will do it without becoming a "blast furnace".

Did not say everyone would. Each CPU is a different OCer. What I *AM* saying however, is that at same clocks & voltage, Haswell draws more power and runs hotter. If heat is the deciding factor in someone's OC, a general Ivy Bridge will likely overclock higher, defeating the purpose of Haswell's slightly better IPC. Unless you are trying to say that Haswell runs in fact cooler than ivy bridge and draws less power at same clocks/voltage with the same number of cores and hyperthreads?

Did not say everyone would. Each CPU is a different OCer. What I *AM* saying however, is that at same clocks & voltage, Haswell draws more power and runs hotter. If heat is the deciding factor in someone's OC, a general Ivy Bridge will likely overclock higher, defeating the purpose of Haswell's slightly better IPC. Unless you are trying to say that Haswell runs in fact cooler than ivy bridge and draws less power at same clocks/voltage with the same number of cores and hyperthreads?

It just seems weird to comment on Ivy Bridge's power consumption and heat and then force 4.8Ghz out of it. At stock Haswell will perform better, and any overclocked results you have to take with a grain of salt because they are never guaranteed.

It just seems weird to comment on Ivy Bridge's power consumption and heat and then force 4.8Ghz out of it. At stock Haswell will perform better, and any overclocked results you have to take with a grain of salt because they are never guaranteed.

Haswell's still hotter at stock in general. But as far as power draw and stuff is concerned, at stock (and using little power) it's optimized. But the minute you go beyond stock it's a mess. 

Haswell's still hotter at stock in general. But as far as power draw and stuff is concerned, at stock (and using little power) it's optimized. But the minute you go beyond stock it's a mess. 

From Intel's perspective Stock is all they're selling. That's why they ship that abysmal cooler with it and call it adequate. You shouldn't expect power draw to be optimised outside of those criteria, anyway. When you have people like yourself trying to get 4.5 - 4.8 GHz out of the thing, those numbers will and should go out of the window.

From Intel's perspective Stock is all they're selling. That's why they ship that abysmal cooler with it and call it adequate. You shouldn't expect power draw to be optimised outside of those criteria, anyway. When you have people like yourself trying to get 4.5 - 4.8 GHz out of the thing, those numbers will and should go out of the window.

If stock is all they're selling, then the unlocked CPUs wouldn't really be a thing.

Also, I can't get that out of my CPU, my lock's at 3.9 for 4 cores. I'd need the unlocked model for that. But even at stock, the previous model of my system with the ivy bridge CPUs were a lot cooler, even at stock. 

If stock is all they're selling, then the unlocked CPUs wouldn't really be a thing.

Also, I can't get that out of my CPU, my lock's at 3.9 for 4 cores. I'd need the unlocked model for that. But even at stock, the previous model of my system with the ivy bridge CPUs were a lot cooler, even at stock. 

Well it literally is all they're selling because they claim to void your warranty if you overclock due to running it outside of specifications. Just because they can't prove that you did doesn't affect their intent.

Well it literally is all they're selling because they claim to void your warranty if you overclock due to running it outside of specifications. Just because they can't prove that you did doesn't affect their intent.

OCing an unlocked CPU or any CPU outside of its OC limits (for example, my CPU is +400MHz over base boost clocks, so 3.5GHz 4-core boost to 3.9GHz is my limit) is PERFECTLY within warranty. Now if I went fiddling with the bclk and tried forcing 4.2GHz on 4 cores and I burnt my CPU out... that's a different story. But unlocked CPUs are unlocked for a reason. OCing doesn't break warranty on em as long as you don't literally melt it.

OK then, I guess pushing the multiplier to 50 and demanding it be totally cool and energy efficient isn't asking too much, and if it is then it must be a blast furnace!

OK then, I guess pushing the multiplier to 50 and demanding it be totally cool and energy efficient isn't asking too much, and if it is then it must be a blast furnace!

Did I say anywhere that that is reasonable? I simply said, MULTIPLE TIMES, that at same clocks and voltage, Ivy Bridge (and Sandy Bridge) are cooler and draw less power than Haswell, especially if you go over stock. I also said in some parts of the internet, we call Haswell "Blast Furnace". You're going on about how there's no OC guarantee and this and that and all sorts of stuff that has nothing to do with my statements.

Did I say anywhere that that is reasonable? I simply said, MULTIPLE TIMES, that at same clocks and voltage, Ivy Bridge (and Sandy Bridge) are cooler and draw less power than Haswell, especially if you go over stock. I also said in some parts of the internet, we call Haswell "Blast Furnace". You're going on about how there's no OC guarantee and this and that and all sorts of stuff that has nothing to do with my statements.

Because it's only a blast furnace under some pretty extreme and unreasonable circumstances.

closing a 5-month old topic.

please keep thread dates within a month 45-days tops.