i7 4790k Temperatures

Hi,

I just built my first PC. I was wondering if my CPU temperatures were correct because I don't know if I installed my Corsair H110 correctly. While browsing and watching videos, my 4790k is at 35-43°C. When I'm gaming (I played Mirror's Edge with the settings maxed out) my CPU is between 55 and 63 °C.

Are these temperatures acceptable for a H110 or I really didn't installed it correctly?

their in the safe zone, have you overclocked at all? 

Well I have a 4670k which is supposedly hotter and I have it at 1.275V and it only gets to about 60 in games. Your temps are fine but I would think that is a lot higher than normal. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

their in the safe zone, have you overclocked at all? 

No, I didn't overclock

No, I didn't overclock

hmm, try reapply thermal paste?  

Hi,

I just built my first PC. I was wondering if my CPU temperatures were correct because I don't know if I installed my Corsair H110 correctly. While browsing and watching videos, my 4790k is at 35-43°C. When I'm gaming (I played Mirror's Edge with the settings maxed out) my CPU is between 55 and 63 °C.

Are these temperatures acceptable for a H110 or I really didn't installed it correctly?

Those temps are fine. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I would think the temps would be a few degrees lower, but they aren't close to a major problem. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

I tried doing a stress test with Prime95. In Blend mode, I got to 65°C in 2 minutes. In Small FFTs, the CPU got to 105°C instantly :/

I tried doing a stress test with Prime95. In Blend mode, I got to 65°C in 2 minutes. In Small FFTs, the CPU got to 105°C instantly :/

do not stress test haswell CPU's with prime95 it applies insane amount of volts to the CPU you will damage your chip...use intel extreme tuning utility for testing.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

do not stress test haswell CPU's with prime95 it applies insane amount of volts to the CPU you will damage your chip...use intel extreme tuning utility for testing.

Isn't the 4790K Devil's Canyon? Not Haswell.

I got 80C when over clocked to 4.8Ghz @ 1.31V so I think you're fine

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

I stress tested my chip for 2 minutes in Intel Extreme Tuning and the maximum temperature I got was 73°C. Should I be concerned?

I stress tested my chip for 2 minutes in Intel Extreme Tuning and the maximum temperature I got was 73°C. Should I be concerned?

if you're at stock settings and cooling this with the H110, defenetly...normal temps on this should be around or under 60c at stock with such a cooler...you should remount your cooler and reapply thermal paste...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Isn't the 4790K Devil's Canyon? Not Haswell.

it's called devils canyon is the code name but the cpu architecture is still haswell...they are haswell cpu's (refresh)

all they did was adding a couple more transistor for voltage regulation on them and use proper amount of TIM between the chip and the IHS...they are the same chip.

When you applied the cooler the first time did you let it lose connection with the CPU?

It's pretty important to not let it come off once you apply it or it can make air bubbles in the paste.

For reference my 4790k hits 40c in games and low 60s stress testing with a H105.

When you applied the cooler the first time did you let it lose connection with the CPU?

It's pretty important to not let it come off once you apply it or it can make air bubbles in the paste.

For reference my 4790k hits 40c in games and low 60s stress testing with a H105.

Maybe... I just put the cooler in the holes of the backplate and screw the thumbscrews.

I got 80C when over clocked to 4.8Ghz @ 1.31V so I think you're fine

What cooler do you have?

Hey guys,

I did what you told me to do. I re-mounted the H110 with Artic MX-2. Although I now have "better" temperatures (34°C when browsing,up to 53°C when playing games and 68°C when stress-testing for 5 minutes with Intel Extreme Tuning), I still think these are not right for this cooler. The radiator is at the top of my NZXT H440 with the fans blowing air into the case. I don't know if I should set these as exhaust fans instead of intake fans. I also notice that the temperatures don't seem to go down easily. For example, if I Alt-tab while playing a game, the temps on my CPU will rise to 53°C. But, when I return to my game, the temperatures don't come down to where they were before I Alt-Tab (around 48°C), instead they continue to rise slowly above 53°C.

Hey guys,

I did what you told me to do. I re-mounted the H110 with Artic MX-2. Although I now have "better" temperatures (34°C when browsing,up to 53°C when playing games and 68°C when stress-testing for 5 minutes with Intel Extreme Tuning), I still think these are not right for this cooler. The radiator is at the top of my NZXT H440 with the fans blowing air into the case. I don't know if I should set these as exhaust fans instead of intake fans. I also notice that the temperatures don't seem to go down easily. For example, if I Alt-tab while playing a game, the temps on my CPU will rise to 53°C. But, when I return to my game, the temperatures don't come down to where they were before I Alt-Tab (around 48°C), instead they continue to rise slowly above 53°C.

how much voltage your CPU is at?

For the ''alt-tab'' stuff you described this is normal the temps won't change as long as the game is open even if you alt tab out of it it's till running...

and yes i would use the H110 as exaust provided you have enough intake in the front of your case to provide enough air and create good airflow. Using the H110 as intake brings ''warm'' air into the case.

Usually the h110, on average, would take the temperatures 3-5°C lower on idle and gaming load, however these numbers are acceptable. Stress test wise it's also acceptable.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

What is your ambient temperature? That should be the first thing that you look at when comparing temperatures.

My 4790K running at 4.7ghz with a vcore of 1.29 idles around 34°C. My room temperature is around 22-23°C. Under 30m of XTU it can hit as high as 78°C.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

how much voltage your CPU is at?

I didn't touch any settings regarding overclocking. My CPU is at stock settings.

What is your ambient temperature? That should be the first thing that you look at when comparing temperatures.

My 4790K running at 4.7ghz with a vcore of 1.29 idles around 34°C. My room temperature is around 22-23°C. Under 30m of XTU it can hit as high as 78°C.

The ambient temperature is around 21-22°C.