i7 4790k Temperatures

I didn't touch any settings regarding overclocking. My CPU is at stock settings.

there you go you should start lowering the voltages manualy and see how your CPU does...stock settings varies from board to board and it's very likely that your motherboard supply too much current to your CPU for what it really need to operate ATM.

I would start by dialing a 1.2v and 42 multiplier (4.2GHZ) and see if that is stable and monitor the temps...it should be very good at 1.2v with your Cooler even in this case you have.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You can probably go lower than 1.2v, My board was giving me a default reading of 1.056v.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

there you go you should start lowering the voltages manualy and see how your CPU does...stock settings varies from board to board and it's very likely that your motherboard supply too much current to your CPU for what it really need to operate ATM.

I would start by dialing a 1.2v and 42 multiplier (4.2GHZ) and see if that is stable and monitor the temps...it should be very good at 1.2v with your Cooler even in this case you have.

Currently, these are the settings:

VCCIN Voltage = 1.792V to 1.808V

CPU Core Voltage = 1.064V to 1.072V

CPU Ring Voltage = 1.208V

I will put the H110 fans as exhaust later today.

Hi,

I just built my first PC. I was wondering if my CPU temperatures were correct because I don't know if I installed my Corsair H110 correctly. While browsing and watching videos, my 4790k is at 35-43°C. When I'm gaming (I played Mirror's Edge with the settings maxed out) my CPU is between 55 and 63 °C.

Are these temperatures acceptable for a H110 or I really didn't installed it correctly?

Your ambient temperatures are extremely relevant to this entire discussion. What temperature does the Mainboard/Z1/Z2 read when your CPU is at 60C?

With my Mainboard/Z1/Z2 at 35C/28C/30C those temps are barely above mine at 1.18V - I have a rather ridiculous amount of Noctuas in my case. But when it was ~20C in here I would max around 60C at 1.28V. It's all about the ambients.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

I set the fans on the H110 as exhaust fans. Appart from like a difference of 1°C (which may be just my imagination), the temperatures didn't change. I don't really know what else there is to do to fix that. I'm not to keen on changing the CPU voltage. I never did that before and MSi BIOS doesn't seem to let me change it easily.

On the same topic, Intel Extreme Tuning propose me to change my default settings to these settings. Is that safe and could that help with my current cooling problem?

6423391f5e.png

Hi,

I just built my first PC. I was wondering if my CPU temperatures were correct because I don't know if I installed my Corsair H110 correctly. While browsing and watching videos, my 4790k is at 35-43°C. When I'm gaming (I played Mirror's Edge with the settings maxed out) my CPU is between 55 and 63 °C.

Are these temperatures acceptable for a H110 or I really didn't installed it correctly?

Your gaming temps are about 4 degrees too high. What thermal paste did you use? You may want to remount and check the amount of material you used as well as the pressure.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Your gaming temps are about 4 degrees too high. What thermal paste did you use? You may want to remount and check the amount of material you used as well as the pressure.

Already did that, I use Arctic MX-2.

Hmm. Did you use too much maybe? MX-2 was known to be globby. I always spread a thin layer with a credit card instead of relying on the pea or rice method.

It's also possible, this being Intel's first batch of 4790k, that they didn't do as good a job with the glue on your chip as they should have. I mean, these temps won't damage your chip, but if you're worried you could do the hammer-vise delid, scrape the glue, and apply some coolaboratory liquid pro or liquid ultra.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If you want, reapply da paste and brush it on:

spreadin-dat-TIM.jpg

you should NEVER spread thermal paste like that as it will create thousands of micro air bubbles under the CPU and cause irregularity in temps. And this guy applied way too much look at this mess it's drippling on the side of the CPU and stuff...no no no.

here, at 1:45 ------> this is how to properly do it, but i still suggest you listen to the whole thing and figure it out for yourself:

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

If you want, reapply da paste and brush it on:

spreadin-dat-TIM.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHA! Brushing on a paste on the IHS? Lulz. Credit card, 6 swipes, done.

BWAHAHAHAHA! Brushing on a paste on the IHS? Lulz. Credit card, 6 swipes, done.

you, you should listen to this AS WELL:

Ah, i've never seen that before. I personally don't brush, but I thought it would help.

The guy's a moron. The entire cover is a heatspreader, no two ways about it. Simple laws of thermodynamic flow. The only thing he gets right is to keep things away from the PCB.

The thinner the layer of grease the better the performance. Pea and Line result in layers far too thick or poorly spread for optimal heat transfer.

The guy's a moron. The entire cover is a heatspreader, no two ways about it. Simple laws of thermodynamic flow. The only thing he gets right is to keep things away from the PCB.

The thinner the layer of grease the better the performance. Pea and Line result in layers far too thick or poorly spread for optimal heat transfer.

he just put a little too much for the show but it is still the preferred method that if you look out of your ass you will realize that this is what everybody with minimum of knowledge is using and works the best.

he just put a little too much for the show but it is still the preferred method that if you look out of your ass you will realize that this is what everybody with minimum of knowledge is using and works the best.

Except no one in the overclocking enthusiast community uses the pea or rice method. None. They all use the credit card method and do pressured swipes, not the dabbing of this ditz. And this is after lapping the heatspreader and cooling block and delidding if the chip allows to put Coolaboratory Liquid Pro/Ultra underneath. It all matters and the pea/rice method is inefficient and based on a logical fallacy with no understanding of basic thermal physics. Thinnest layer possible over the widest area = greatest heat flow, end of discussion.

Except no one in the overclocking enthusiast community uses the pea or rice method. None. They all use the credit card method and do pressured swipes, not the dabbing of this ditz. And this is after lapping the heatspreader and cooling block and delidding if the chip allows to put Coolaboratory Liquid Pro/Ultra underneath. It all matters and the pea/rice method is inefficient and based on a logical fallacy with no understanding of basic thermal physics. Thinnest layer possible over the widest area = greatest heat flow, end of discussion.

spreading it around with a credit card like a dumb nooba only create zillions of micro air bubbles, if you put the right quantity in the middle it spreads itself out with the pressure of the heatsink giving you the THINNEST LAYER POSSIBLE WITHOUT ANY MICRO AIR BUBBLES and stop throwing sh!t around like that it's a well known fact that spreading it around like you suggest is the worst possible method and nobody is doing it anymore...just shows how ignorant you are.

spreading it around with a credit card like a dumb nooba only create zillions of micro air bubbles, if you put the right quantity in the middle it spreads itself out with the pressure of the heatsink giving you the THINNEST LAYER POSSIBLE WITHOUT ANY MICRO AIR BUBBLES and stop throwing sh!t around like that it's a well known fact that spreading it around like you suggest is the worst possible method and nobody is doing it anymore...just shows how ignorant you are.

That only happens if you dab like this numbskull. Also, no, I can get a layer 8x thinner than pressure from a heatsink or waterblock alone can give. And the real enthusiasts do it. As long as you have the pressure on you won't get any bubbles.

• 4 months later...

Isn't the 4790K Devil's Canyon? Not Haswell.

Devil's Canyon is Intel's codename for the Haswell Refresh, so Haswell Refresh and Devil's Canyon are the same.

If you're using Arctic solutions, I suggest "Arctic Céramiqué 2". MX-2 is essentially a steaming pile of manure compared to Ceramique 2. Otherwise, Gelid GC Extreme, IC Diamond and some of the Shin Etsu variants are the best non-liquid-metal pastes that are not prone to pumping out.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I tried doing a stress test with Prime95. In Blend mode, I got to 65°C in 2 minutes. In Small FFTs, the CPU got to 105°C instantly :/

Damn, yeah 105c is getting kinda scary. Might want to investigate, from what I hear some of the Corsair coolers don't mount well, or compatibility with some motherboard makes it so they don't get good enough contact with the CPU. 

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

I set the fans on the H110 as exhaust fans. Appart from like a difference of 1°C (which may be just my imagination), the temperatures didn't change. I don't really know what else there is to do to fix that. I'm not to keen on changing the CPU voltage. I never did that before and MSi BIOS doesn't seem to let me change it easily.

Out of curiosity, why did you get this cooler if you're only interested in running it at stock?

Out of curiosity, why did you get this cooler if you're only interested in running it at stock?

In some parts of the internet, we refer to Haswell as "Blast Furnace". He might have been there at that time and figured "ok lemme watercool"

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

In some parts of the internet, we refer to Haswell as "Blast Furnace". He might have been there at that time and figured "ok lemme watercool"

Haswell was never a blast furnace. Pre-refresh had issues with its TIM being inadequate, but no cooler bolted onto the CPU would fix that.

Haswell was never a blast furnace. Pre-refresh had issues with its TIM being inadequate, but no cooler bolted onto the CPU would fix that.

delidded, compared to ivy bridge, haswell is a blast furnace xD.