Painting my 900D.

DarrenP

Hi guys, 

I'd like to paint my 900D. However i have no idea what kind of paint to use, and what kind of prep work would need to be done. I'm a very experienced painter. Just not so much with Aluminum and other Metals. I'd like to paint it a Orange, Red, Or White. Haven't decided though. 

I have all the time in the world. Or at least another month and a half. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Orange & black because LTT

I'm a paint refinisher. Ask away.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

I'm a paint refinisher. Ask away.

Oh Perfect. 

I want to paint it orange. What would be involved? 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

First you want to decide what color you want to use (+ also keep in mind if you want mat or shining)

Then you want to figure out what parts you want to paint, that's probably the most important part.

Once decided, take those parts out, put them on an old newspaper or something else you don't mind getting colored.

Now with your parts laying in front of you and the can of spraypaint in your hand, ready, aim, fire!

Let them dry and put them back.

Finally, enjoy your new colored case :)

My Build log of the Satan's Cave PC Desk Project is starting to get in action! Come check it out if you feel like it  :) 

maybe plastic dip?

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

For parts that are already painted use degreaser or paint prep to get rid of any dirt and use a fine emery cloth or scotch brite to roughen the surface a little bit and simply spray paint in your favorite color. Almost any spray paint in an aerosol can that you can buy at a DIY store will work fine for this. For parts that aren't painted (even aluminum) just follow the same steps, but before paint add a primer that can be used on metal surfaces (I usually use a red MOTIP primer, works on everything). Keep your primer a thin layer, you don't need much.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Oh Perfect. 

What materials will you be painting? Are they already painted and/or powdercoated? Have you seen a paint you want to use? There's a lot involved if you want to do it right.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Oh Perfect.

Posted Image

This should be your inspiration :D, they used Alfa romao orange on this. You can use vinyl dye, car paint, plastidip and powdercoat

Vinyl dye is plastics only, it seeps into the plastic and changes colour, depending on where you live you will get different types for example I've seen the USA stuff you can just spray it on and jobs done, here in the UK the dye I use you have to dye the item white before any other colour. It takes the least amount of coats but it makes plastic soft so you can't touch it while its drying.

Plastidip is like regular paint except you can peel it off when your done, its the easiest paint to use and is popular as it doesn't affect your original paint. The cans are expensive and colours are matt unless you use the glossifier.