$5000 budget for school

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($529.99 @ Micro Center) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($214.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($699.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan Z 12GB Superclocked Video Card  ($3199.99 @ Amazon) 

Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $5096.92

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Also , it seems to be that unless you be more specific about what you need, everyone will just post the most overkill builds they can think of.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."

Also needs a new profile picture..

Also , it seems to be that unless you be more specific about what you need, everyone will just post the most overkill builds they can think of.

I've emailed a cupple different people at the college so I should find out what programs they use today at some time. From the other things people have posted and me looking them up to what they are really used for. Yes some or most of them are completly over kill. At least I'm learning all this as i go now tho.

*edit* how exactly would I go about making a nas also tho?

The budget for this is $5000. Only requirment is 2 ssd with os on them in raid zero and two hard drives and raid one for safe storage. This is for enginering courses so keep this in mind. Willing to go over said budget if it means getting what I need to run enginering programs on said computer. Just need one monitor so please include that, windows 8.1, and the windows student programing like word and what not. Never built a computer before so this is why I am asking for ya'lls help. Also have no case for it either. Need ya'll to include that also.

What programs will you be running on it? Solidworks/Autodesk? MATLAB? COMSOL?

I have experience with a lot of programs, and can make good recommendations if you know what kinds of programs you'll be using.

how exactly would I go about making a nas also tho?

You probably won't be able to have one, for reasons outlined below.

Also with a budget like this, and the need for safe storage you might want to consider a NAS with incremental backups(preferably daily). This will be much safer then a Raid 1 can ever be , because even if you manually delete it on your main rig it will still be there in an older snapshot in the NAS. Also if any thing happens to the computer, raid 1 wont do much as both of the HDD's are still in the same space, so they're still both damaged.

At my universitiy we could only have one computer hooked up, and bringing in switches or routers was against the school's Acceptable Use Policy. If he has a similar requirement then he'll pretty much have to have everything stored internally, unless he wants to set up his own internal network.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I have experience with a lot of programs, and can make good recommendations if you know what kinds of programs you'll be using.

At my universitiy we could only have one computer hooked up, and bringing in switches or routers was against the school's Acceptable Use Policy. If he has a similar requirement then he'll pretty much have to have everything stored internally, unless he wants to set up his own internal network.

I was under the impression that he would leave it at home and do homework assignements on it. But how does that work if you have to bring you're own computer to school? Every school in my country seems to supply them themselves. Do you take it back home with you? Or do you leave it there in a secure place? If this is the case with his needs that changes alot.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."

Also needs a new profile picture..

I was under the impression that he would leave it at home and do homework assignements on it. But how does that work if you have to bring you're own computer to school? Every school in my country seems to supply them themselves. Do you take it back home with you? Or do you leave it there in a secure place? If this is the case with his needs that changes alot.

If he's living on-campus (my assumption) then he'll have one dedicated port for connecting to the Internet and the university's network, which his workstation would be hooked up to. He couldn't also plug in his NAS to the Internet, but he might be able to plug it directly to his PC so he could at least do backups. It seems like kind of a hassle to have two computers, though.

I agree that backups are necessary, but he can probably get away with a single external hard drive.

If he's living at home and commuting to campus, then he could probably have a NAS.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Just my two cents:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Lyh923

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Lyh923/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($576.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($98.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus P9X79-E WS SSI CEB LGA2011 Motherboard ($465.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($669.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($148.98 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($148.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan Black 6GB Superclocked Video Card ($1113.99 @ B&H)

Case: Silverstone RV04B-W ATX Full Tower Case ($170.93 @ TigerDirect)

Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)

Monitor: LG 34UM95 34.0" Monitor ($1007.58 @ Newegg)

Keyboard: Das Keyboard Model S Professional Wired Standard Keyboard ($120.99 @ Mechanical Keyboards)

Mouse: Razer Razer Naga 2014 Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $5023.34

I want ^^ :D

If you really have 5k, here

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.0GHz 6-Core Processor  ($402.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus P9X79-E WS SSI CEB LGA2011 Motherboard  ($465.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($439.95 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($439.95 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Video Card  ($1350.00 @ Newegg) 
Case: Silverstone FT04B-W ATX Full Tower Case  ($229.00 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit)  ($129.98 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Samsung U28D590D 60Hz 28.0" Monitor  ($616.87 @ Amazon) 
Total: $4995.67

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Use the Z97 WS instead, other this 4790K is good

The choice of a 6 core 4930K or a 4 core 4790K is yours now, however I'd recommend the 6 core

If he goes with the 4790K, doesn't he have to go with the Z97 chipset?

For the 4930K, you have to go with an x79 chipset because the 4930K is a LGA 2011 socket, and all x97 boards are LGA 2011.

I do not know what programs i will be using right now at the moment, should know by the end of the day or by tomorrow. Thanks for the help tho!

I will be staying on campus till then school year is over, they have in each room two internet connections, one for each person. Some boards come with a hotspot maker though so keep that in mind please. Does not say anything about not being able to have more than one computer.

I live in the USA, here it is more of the private or "high" or "private" colleges that do that, I will not be attending one of those.

If he's living on-campus (my assumption) then he'll have one dedicated port for connecting to the Internet and the university's network, which his workstation would be hooked up to. He couldn't also plug in his NAS to the Internet, but he might be able to plug it directly to his PC so he could at least do backups. It seems like kind of a hassle to have two computers, though.

I agree that backups are necessary, but he can probably get away with a single external hard drive.

If he's living at home and commuting to campus, then he could probably have a NAS.

Yes, i would like to be able to keep backups on a seprite drive or nas, the thing is I will be living on campus in a dorm so that means one connection for me. I personly wouldnt mind having two computers though. If one was my work station and the other was a NAS

There is a reason why it says I am a rookie at this. I really don't know what I am doing. What exactly is a psu? And someone suggested the Z97-WS motherboard. For 3d rendering which one would be better? And what case would you think would be better tho?

3D rendering is typically done by the cpu. Which, coupled with the available budget, is likely the reason people suggested the i7-4930K over something like the i7-4970K.

The Z97-WS motherboard has an LGA1150 cpu socket the i7-4930K requires an LGA2011 cpu socket. I.E. the motherboard and cpu are not compatible.

There are several cases that would be good choices. In no particular order: Nzxt H440, Corsair 650D, Corsair 750D, Corsair 760T, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2, Fractal Design Arc XL. Depending on the cpu cooler model there are other choices.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3D rendering is typically done by the cpu. Which, coupled with the available budget, is likely the reason people suggested the i7-4930K over something like the i7-4970K.

The Z97-WS motherboard has an LGA1150 cpu socket the i7-4930K requires an LGA2011 cpu socket. I.E. the motherboard and cpu are not compatible.

There are several cases that would be good choices. In no particular order: Nzxt H440, Corsair 650D, Corsair 750D, Corsair 760T, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2, Fractal Design Arc XL. Depending on the cpu cooler model there are other choices.

So is that why people keep sugesting the x79 delux then? and since I have nothing better to do while waiting for that email from the college. I've been looking at cases and have really liked the Corsair Air 540 ATX. A big part of that from what I have found are the fan options and the air going right over the graphics card and everything else that needs cooling. What do yall think?

Mostly edit, some gaming but most of the time is either sleeping, in classes or college ROTC attivities so not very heavy gaming.

What are you editing?

So instead of two cards I should just use one? and I plan on raiding the ssd in raid 0 and the hard drives in raid 1 so wouldnt the red series be better for that or no?

Why raid?

Well if all this is unessasary then what is the best cheapest computer yall can make specilized for 3d rendering for college enginearing courses?

Depends. Most college engineering work is very light and can run on a glorified toaster. Unless you've been explicitly told that what you're going to be doing is quite heavy and given recommended specs from the college, I wouldn't throw any big money at a system. If you haven't, you can be pretty safe with going with a decent ~$650 system if not less.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

So is that why people keep sugesting the x79 delux then? and since I have nothing better to do while waiting for that email from the college. I've been looking at cases and have really liked the Corsair Air 540 ATX. A big part of that from what I have found are the fan options and the air going right over the graphics card and everything else that needs cooling. What do yall think?

Air 540 is a decent case.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

What are you editing?

Why raid?

Depends. Most college engineering work is very light and can run on a glorified toaster. Unless you've been explicitly told that what you're going to be doing is quite heavy and given recommended specs from the college, I wouldn't throw any big money at a system. If you haven't, you can be pretty safe with going with a decent ~$650 system if not less.

Well right now I'm going to do an undergraduate degre in industrial enginering and from the descriptions from the classes for it. Good chance that it will be doing 3d rendering among other things. Do not know specifics right now. Not saying your wrong but my brother is in college right now for machanical enginearing and he had to get a $2000-$3000 laptop just to be able to run there programs well. Guess it just depends on the college and degree tho. Raid, well heard it was a good thing to have in certain cases but i do not know about doing raid anymore.

Air 540 is a decent case.

and I havent seen any reviews that pointed major flaws about it. ect. pour construction and what not.

Well right now I'm going to do an undergraduate degre in industrial enginering and from the descriptions from the classes for it. Good chance that it will be doing 3d rendering among other things. Do not know specifics right now. Not saying your wrong but my brother is in college right now for machanical enginearing and he had to get a $2000-$3000 laptop just to be able to run there programs well. Guess it just depends on the college and degree tho. Raid, well heard it was a good thing to have in certain cases but i do not know about doing raid anymore.

and I havent seen any reviews that pointed major flaws about it. ect. pour construction and what not.

College engineering 3D rendering is generally very light. 

Not that I don't trust you but I doubt your brother 'had' to get a $2-3000 laptop to run the programs well. I'm guessing it was pretty overpriced, didn't perform nearly as well as a cheaper and properly spec'ed desktop being a laptop, and was comparing it to a sub-$1000 laptop that wasn't spec'ed accordingly for usage. 

Raid can be useful for accelerating very heavy renders which seems irrelevant to what you're doing. 

Poor construction of what?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

College engineering 3D rendering is generally very light. 

Not that I don't trust you but I doubt your brother 'had' to get a $2-3000 laptop to run the programs well. I'm guessing it was pretty overpriced, didn't perform nearly as well as a cheaper and properly spec'ed desktop being a laptop, and was comparing it to a sub-$1000 laptop that wasn't spec'ed accordingly for usage. 

Raid can be useful for accelerating very heavy renders which seems irrelevant to what you're doing. 

Poor construction of what?

As in the case itself, like if it is pour quality and all that. So with keeping in mind that the 3d rendering will be light, as you are saying, what is the biggest bang for my buck that I can get in a Air 540 case? With things that arnt completely over rated and will work amazingly for what I need it for.

As in the case itself, like if it is pour quality and all that. So with keeping in mind that the 3d rendering will be light, as you are saying, what is the biggest bang for my buck that I can get in a Air 540 case? With things that arnt completely over rated and will work amazingly for what I need it for.

Are you going to be doing any gaming at all?

The case is fine--are you dead set on the Air 540 though?

Games wise yes, anywhere from bf4, to pay day, to pre alfa like factorio, so a little bit of everything I guess. And I am set on the Air 540, it has what I am looking for and can be upgraded later on easily if need be.

So would you say this is a good build or what exactly would you build on or change from here? @WoodenMaker

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jRGxRB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jRGxRB/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($576.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Asus X79 Deluxe ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($326.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($429.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($399.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($148.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($479.99 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($479.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($259.99 @ NCIX US) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($16.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($249.23 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($27.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($27.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Speakers: Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 232W 2.1ch Speakers  ($229.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $4090.04