India plans to build the world's largest floating solar farm

Dietrichw

Source

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Solar farms need three things: sunlight, photovoltaic panels and a huge expanse of land. It's the third in that list that's hampering green efforts in countries like India, where space is scarce and therefore very expensive. That's why India is copying Japan's (pictured) idea of building floating solar farms out on the water, saving a fortune in land costs and helping to prevent evaporation in the hottest months. A partnership between India's national hydroelectric company and Kolkata's college of renewable energy plans to build a 50 megawatt floating solar farm -- one of the world's largest -- at some point in the future. Before that, however, a small pilot project will be constructed in a lake in Kerala in south-west India later this year which is expected to generate around 12 kilowatts of power. While we can't cover all of the world's oceans with solar panels, it does seem like a clever fix while scientists continue to work on the supercritical steam issue

Fun and great up until the water levels rise when you get a storm, ignoring the storm aspects of problems.

I think there is also something like this in japan

I think there is also something like this in japan

if you read the whole quote you would be correct as it say it in the quote

if you read the whole quote you would be correct as it say it in the quote

sorry, it's 3 am here so i don't really feel like reading.

I wish more countries would get on board with things like this...  Its a very good thing to invest in clean energy and infrastructure. 

Anyone else think this would be floating in the air?

Awesome, 1 step closer to solar energy and solar panels becoming more mainstream. Boy would I love some solar panels on the roof of my house. I mean it only costs $40k...

Project Restomod (In progress)

Awesome, 1 step closer to solar energy and solar panels becoming more mainstream. Boy would I love some solar panels on the roof of my house. I mean it only costs $40k...

it does if you hire a contractor, since my family is all electricians we have a couple solar arrays for under $10k each. we just have to pay for the panels and the inverters. wire and stuff we allready have left over from jobs site that let workers take the extra

Fun and great up until the water levels rise when you get a storm, ignoring the storm aspects of problems.

Enough of this happening and some trees planted and hopefully the water levels won't rise.

;)

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Enough of this happening and some trees planted and hopefully the water levels won't rise.

;)

I know of a desert we can put trees...

I know of a desert we can put trees...

It's a bit dry in the desert...maybe if the water levels would rise a bit?

Damn, now we have a vicious circle.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

It's a bit dry in the desert...maybe if the water levels would rise a bit?

Damn, now we have a vicious circle.

I wouldn't mind ELP becoming an ocean front. I mean we're only 3k feet up.

putting solar panels perpendicular to the sky is literally the worst possible thibg you could do. Do these people even know how the sun works?

putting solar panels perpendicular to the sky is literally the worst possible thibg you could do. Do these people even know how the sun works?

they aren't horizontal, just from a distance in a sea of solar panels they blend together

it does if you hire a contractor, since my family is all electricians we have a couple solar arrays for under $10k each. we just have to pay for the panels and the inverters. wire and stuff we allready have left over from jobs site that let workers take the extra

How many kilowatts though? I'm curious, and do you still buy electricity from a company?

Project Restomod (In progress)

The zoom is pretty damn far out to tell, I think they're at an angle once you get close. I'd worry more about this entire structure eating shit after the first tsunami hits it though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What happens with the sea life below that thing?

How many kilowatts though? I'm curious, and do you still buy electricity from a company?

we have two solar systems, one of them has two solar trackers we made from old satellite dishes that goes to a battery system, idk how many kilowatts on those. The other we have is going through the power company PG&E and is currently producing 3.3 kilowatt hours, so PG&E will take the amount that solar system produces and pay us for it or deduct it from our bill since we use PG&E for the AC and water pump which needs a lot of steady power, they killed the battery system when he had it run off of it. 

currently my computer is on the battery system so if I really wanted to I could use my r9 290 for mining with no power costs