I've decided that i'm gonna be a game dev, but no experience.....so where should i start

There has always been two things i really wanted to be, first was a game designer/developer and the other was a web designer. Well life and other crap got in the way of a formal programming education so i just ended up as a web designer/ computer technician which isn't bad but my dream is incomplete. Been gaming alot lately and just like that the old flame was re-lit like the beacon of gondor, just this morning infact, so i think i'll give it a go. All that out of the way i need to know where do i start, what language and what programs i'll need...first project will be one man so i'm thinking cube world/hyperlight drifter. Something that will look good but i can do on my own for now. Whatever advice you can give will be appreciated, but i'm serious about this so serious advice....Thanks in advance  :)

start making games right now, and the fact that you arent currently working on some game or other means you arent cut out for the job, sorry, but maybe this will change if you start working on it now

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Well you need to get addicted to mountain dew and run on low amounts of sleep.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

an Advice is to learn C++ Language it will help you greatly

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Sorry, but there is better chances of winning the lottery than becoming a successful game dev...

Maybe if you had started 10 years ago and already have programming experience...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

start making games right now, and the fact that you arent currently working on some game or other means you arent cut out for the job, sorry, but maybe this will change if you start working on it now

Sorry, but there is better chances of winning the lottery than becoming a successful game dev...

Maybe if you had started 10 years ago and already have programming experience...

I have considered these things, but i'm plenty successful in my current profession(s), not hanging my hopes on being a recognized game dev....this is something i simply want to be able to do 

I have considered these things, but i'm plenty successful in my current profession(s), not hanging my hopes on being a recognized game dev....this is something i simply want to be able to do 

as someone who had an education is game design and know many who took the course as well, the only people who actually make it into the scene are people who were already making games before they went and who were spending their free times making games, the rest all had a good time and moved on. its harsh.

but otherwise, get into modding maybe or UDK or Cryteks engine and play around or some other game engine like that.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Well it took me two years to learn python and fltk enough to make a hangman game...

But its easier to learn new languages when you're young.

#!/usr/bin/env pythonimport randomimport timefrom fltk import *L=[]Fl.scheme('gtk+')Fl.set_font(69,'Monospace')buttons=[]s=[]w=[]lives=[6]turns=[0]dif=[]scores={}tool=[1] f=open('/home/i-gerard-cirera/Documents/scores2.txt','r')for line in f:name, number=line.split(',')number=number[:-1]scores[name]=numberf.close() def OK(widget):win2.hide() win2=Fl_Window((Fl.w()/2)-(400/2),(Fl.h()/2)-(200/2),400,200,'CONGRATULATIONS!')win2.begin()but100=Fl_Button(0,0,400,200,)but100.color(FL_YELLOW)but100.labelfont(FL_BOLD)but100.labelsize(40)but100.callback(OK)win2.end() def difficulty(widget):temp={'EASY':4,'MEDIUM':8,'HARD':12}x=temp[widget.label()]y=''for z in widget.label():y+=(chr(ord(z)+32))dif.append(y)for z in buttons:z.activate()hint.activate()answer.activate()dif1.hide()dif2.hide()dif3.hide()word=''while len(word) not in range(x,x+4):words=[line.strip() for line in open('/home/i-gerard-cirera/Documents/words.txt')]word=random.choice(words)for x in word:s.append(x)for x in s:w.append('_')box3.label(' '.join(w))box4.label('Pick a letter')box7.show()box7.label('High score: '+str(scores[str(dif[0])])) def code(p):for x in buttons:x.deactivate()if lives[0]!=0:v=0for let in s:if p==let:w[v]=pv+=1v-=vbox4.label('')turns[0]+=1box6.label('Turns: '+str(turns[0]))if p in s:box4.label('CORRECT')if p not in s:lives[0]-=1box4.label('WRONG')if (''.join(w))==(''.join(s)):answer.deactivate()power.deactivate()hint.deactivate()box3.label((' '.join(w)))box4.label('You won!\nCongratulations!')if int(turns[0])<=int(scores[(dif[0])]):scores[(dif[0])]=turns[0]scores['power']=int(scores['power'])+1box8.label('Power-Ups left: '+str(scores['power']))but100.label('YOU WON!\nNew high score:\n'+str(turns[0])+' turns!')else:but100.label('YOU WON!')win2.show()scores['games']=(int(scores['games'])+1)scores['wins']=(int(scores['wins'])+1)box10.label('Games played: '+str(scores['games'])+'\n'+'Wins: '+str(scores['wins'])+' Losses: '+str(scores['losses']))if lives[0]==0:box2.color(FL_RED)box2.redraw()for x in range(38,44):box2.label(L[x])time.sleep(.2)Fl.check()box3.label((''.join(s)))box4.label('You lose!\nGAME OVER')box5.label('Lives: 0')scores['games']=int(scores['games'])+1scores['losses']=int(scores['losses'])+1box10.label('Games played: '+str(scores['games'])+'\n'+'Wins: '+str(scores['wins'])+' Losses: '+str(scores['losses']))if lives[0]==1:if box2.label()!=L[37]:for x in range(32,38):box2.label(L[x])time.sleep(.2)Fl.check()box3.label(' '.join(w))if lives[0]==2:if box2.label()!=L[31]:for x in range(26,32):box2.label(L[x])time.sleep(.2)Fl.check()box3.label(' '.join(w))if lives[0]==3:if box2.label()!=L[25]:for x in range(18,26):box2.label(L[x])time.sleep(.2)Fl.check()box3.label(' '.join(w))if lives[0]==4:if box2.label()!=L[17]:for x in range(10,18):box2.label(L[x])time.sleep(.2)Fl.check()box3.label(' '.join(w))if lives[0]==5: if box2.label()!=L[9]:for x in range(1,10):box2.label(L[x])time.sleep(.2)Fl.check()box3.label(' '.join(w))power.activate()if lives[0]==6:box2.label(L[0])box3.label(' '.join(w))box5.label('Lives left: '+str(lives[0]))temp=0for x in w:if x=='_':temp+=1for x in s:y=s.count(x)if y==temp:hint.hide()if lives[0]>0 and (''.join(w))!=(''.join(s)):for x in buttons:if x.color()==FL_GREEN:x.activate() def hintt(widget):temp=[]for x in range(len(w)):if w[x]=='_':temp.append(s[x])for x in temp:y=s.count(x)if y==1:code(x)for z in buttons:if chr(ord(z.label())+32)==x:z.color(FL_RED)z.redraw()z.deactivate()else:continuebreakdel temphint.hide() def restartt(widget):del dif[0]turns[0]=0lives[0]=6box2.label(L[0])box2.color(FL_WHITE)box2.redraw()box3.label('')box4.label('Choose a difficulty')box5.label('Lives: 6')box6.label('Turns: 0')del s[:]del w[:]hint.show()power.show()power.deactivate()hint.deactivate()answer.deactivate()dif1.show()dif2.show()dif3.show()box7.hide()for x in buttons:x.color(FL_GREEN)x.deactivate()x.redraw() def powerr(widget):power.hide()scores['power']=int(scores['power'])-1lives[0]+=1box5.label('Lives left: '+str(lives[0]))box8.label('Power-Ups left: '+str(scores['power']))if lives[0]==1:box2.label(L[37])if lives[0]==2:box2.label(L[31])if lives[0]==3:box2.label(L[25])if lives[0]==4:box2.label(L[17])if lives[0]==5:box2.label(L[9])if lives[0]==6:box2.label(L[0])  def answerr(widget):box3.label(' '.join(s))power.deactivate()answer.deactivate()hint.deactivate() def quitt(widget):f=open('/home/i-gerard-cirera/Documents/scores2.txt','w')for x in scores:f.write(str(x)+','+str(scores[x])+'\n')f.close()sys.exit(0) def tipp(widget):if tool[0]==1:tool[0]=0tip.label('Tooltips:\nOFF')Fl_Tooltip.disable()elif tool[0]==0:tool[0]=1tip.label('Tooltips:\nON')Fl_Tooltip.enable() win=Fl_Window(000,0,1276,934,'H A N G M A N',)win.color(fl_rgb_color(128,128,128)) box=Fl_Box(40,40,1200,100,'H A N G M A N')box.labelsize(90)box.labelfont(FL_BOLD)box.box(FL_UP_BOX)box.color(FL_WHITE)box.labelcolor(FL_BLUE)box.labeltype(FL_SHADOW_LABEL) box9=Fl_Box(1060,100,160,20,'By Gerard Cirera')box9.box(FL_FLAT_BOX)box9.color(FL_WHITE)box9.labelsize(16) box2=Fl_Box(40,200,300,600,L[0])box2.labelsize(14)box2.labelfont(69)box2.box(FL_UP_BOX)box2.color(FL_WHITE)box2.labeltype(FL_SHADOW_LABEL) box3=Fl_Box(410,200,300,60,(' '.join(w)))box3.labelsize(20)box3.box(FL_UP_BOX)box3.color(FL_WHITE)box3.labelfont(FL_BOLD) box5=Fl_Box(410,280,300,60,'Lives: 6')box5.labelsize(20)box5.box(FL_UP_BOX)box5.color(FL_WHITE)box5.labelfont(FL_BOLD) box6=Fl_Box(410,360,300,60,'Turns: 0')box6.labelsize(20)box6.box(FL_UP_BOX)box6.color(FL_WHITE)box6.labelfont(FL_BOLD) box4=Fl_Box(410,440,300,120,'Choose a difficulty')box4.labelsize(20)box4.box(FL_UP_BOX)box4.color(FL_WHITE)box4.labelfont(FL_BOLD) box8=Fl_Box(410,580,300,60,)box8.labelsize(20)box8.box(FL_UP_BOX)box8.color(FL_WHITE)box8.labelfont(FL_BOLD)box8.label('Power-ups left: '+str(scores['power'])) box10=Fl_Box(410,660,300,60,)box10.labelsize(20)box10.box(FL_UP_BOX)box10.color(FL_WHITE)box10.labelfont(FL_BOLD)box10.label('Games played: '+str(scores['games'])+'\n'+'Wins: '+str(scores['wins'])+' Losses: '+str(scores['losses'])) box7=Fl_Box(750,200,420,60,'High score: ')box7.labelsize(20)box7.box(FL_UP_BOX)box7.color(FL_WHITE)box7.labelfont(FL_BOLD)box7.hide() dif1=Fl_Button(750,200,120,40,'EASY')dif1.labelsize(20)dif1.labelfont(FL_BOLD)dif1.color(FL_WHITE)dif1.tooltip('Easiest difficulty.\nWords 4-7 letters long.')dif1.callback(difficulty) dif2=Fl_Button(900,200,120,40,'MEDIUM')dif2.labelsize(20)dif2.labelfont(FL_BOLD)dif2.color(FL_WHITE)dif2.tooltip('Moderate difficulty.\nWords 8-11 letters long.')dif2.callback(difficulty) dif3=Fl_Button(1050,200,120,40,'HARD')dif3.labelsize(20)dif3.labelfont(FL_BOLD)dif3.color(FL_WHITE)dif3.tooltip('Hardest difficulty.\nWords 12-15 letters long.')dif3.callback(difficulty) hint=Fl_Button(410,740,120,60,'HINT')hint.labelsize(20)hint.color(FL_WHITE)hint.labelfont(FL_BOLD)hint.deactivate()hint.tooltip('I NEED HELP!\nGives one letter of the\nword to help you out.')hint.callback(hintt) power=Fl_Button(560,740,120,60,'Use \npower-up')power.labelsize(20)power.color(FL_WHITE)power.labelfont(FL_BOLD)power.callback(powerr)power.tooltip('Using one Power-Up\nyou will give you\nan extra life back.')power.deactivate() answer=Fl_Button(710,740,120,60,'ANSWER')answer.labelsize(20)answer.color(FL_WHITE)answer.labelfont(FL_BOLD)answer.tooltip('I GIVE UP!\nGives the answer.')answer.deactivate()answer.callback(answerr) restart=Fl_Button(860,740,120,60,'RESTART')restart.labelsize(20)restart.color(FL_WHITE)restart.labelfont(FL_BOLD)restart.tooltip('Restart and\nplay a new game.')restart.callback(restartt) quit=Fl_Button(1010,740,120,60,'QUIT')quit.labelsize(20)quit.labelfont(FL_BOLD)quit.color(FL_WHITE)quit.tooltip('Exit out\nof the game.')quit.callback(quitt) tip=Fl_Button(1160,740,117,60,'Tooltips:\nON')tip.labelsize(20)tip.labelfont(FL_BOLD)tip.color(FL_WHITE)tip.tooltip('This button will\nturn on or off\ntooltips.')tip.callback(tipp) def letter(widget):widget.color(FL_RED)widget.deactivate()widget.redraw()x=chr(ord(widget.label())+32)code(x) for x in range(1,10):but=Fl_Button(x*50+700,300,40,40)but.label(chr(64+x))but.color(FL_GREEN)but.deactivate()but.callback(letter)buttons.append(but)for x in range(1,10):but=Fl_Button(x*50+700,400,40,40)but.label(chr(73+x))but.color(FL_GREEN)but.deactivate()but.callback(letter)buttons.append(but)for x in range(1,9):but=Fl_Button(x*50+700,500,40,40)but.label(chr(82+x))but.color(FL_GREEN)but.deactivate()but.callback(letter)buttons.append(but) win.show()Fl.run()

BTW I had to take out like 500 lines of code that were just ascii art, because there was too much text to post it xD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020