HTC One M7 VS Nexus 5 + is ART on Kitkat safe and worth it.

minimoose

As the title says, I am switching from an iPod Touch to an unlocked Android phone, and since the HTC One M7 is cheaper now that the One M8 is out, I am trying to decide which to buy.  It seems like the HTC One has way more cool features, and I love the metal design(coming from an Apple product) and I am not a power user at all and I hardly game, so I doubt the Snapdragon 800 CPU will make a huge difference, but what do you think?  

Also when I do get the phone and for my dad, is ART stable and does it make a difference?

As the title says, I am switching from an iPod Touch to an unlocked Android phone, and since the HTC One M7 is cheaper now that the One M8 is out, I am trying to decide which to buy.  It seems like the HTC One has way more cool features, and I love the metal design(coming from an Apple product) and I am not a power user at all and I hardly game, so I doubt the Snapdragon 800 CPU will make a huge difference, but what do you think?  

Also when I do get the phone and for my dad, is ART stable and does it make a difference?

I have a rooted s4 with slimkat, I would use ART but it doesn't work with my modded apps. it works with every single stock app, and yes, there is a NOTICEABLE difference. I thought of giving up on my modded apps just to use art. 

for a ipod/pda/whatever not a phone, just go with the m7 I guess. you don't need mind blowing features for a ipod device. battery life would be my number one concern, and physical feel. 

art is great, but i believe it will be the standard in the next big update. which will break my modded apps:(

ART definitely makes a difference. I have an unlocked and rooted HTC One M8, and with some apps they are just much better. The cool thing about HTC, is they support, using HTCDev, the unlocking of the phones bootloader. Not only does this make it easy to root, it also makes it easy to install custom ROMs, stock android if you don't like HTC Sense, for example. Granted, I believe the Nexus 7 is still cheaper, and has a bigger display. However, the M7 has those awesome speakers, and it's Android. Android is pretty awesome compared to IOS IMO. So, I recommend the M7.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

I have a rooted s4 with slimkat, I would use ART but it doesn't work with my modded apps. it works with every single stock app, and yes, there is a NOTICEABLE difference. I thought of giving up on my modded apps just to use art. 

for a ipod/pda/whatever not a phone, just go with the m7 I guess. you don't need mind blowing features for a ipod device. battery life would be my number one concern, and physical feel. 

art is great, but i believe it will be the standard in the next big update. which will break my modded apps:(

are you talking about xposed, because rovo89 is going to work on it for ART, he's waiting for the finalized code to be available to the public.

I am not going to use a smartphone as an MP3 player...  An iPod Touch is exactly like an iPhone just without data and calling, and how it looks.

are you talking about xposed, because rovo89 is going to work on it for ART, he's waiting for the finalized code to be available to the public.

What do you think?

ART definitely makes a difference. I have an unlocked and rooted HTC One M8, and with some apps they are just much better. The cool thing about HTC, is they support, using HTCDev, the unlocking of the phones bootloader. Not only does this make it easy to root, it also makes it easy to install custom ROMs, stock android if you don't like HTC Sense, for example. Granted, I believe the Nexus 7 is still cheaper, and has a bigger display. However, the M7 has those awesome speakers, and it's Android. Android is pretty awesome compared to IOS IMO. So, I recommend the M7.

Nexus 5 takes a lot less hurdles to unlock the bootloader, all it is is just one simple fastboot command of

fastboot oem unlock

it's easier than having to sign up and verify yourself just to unlock the bootloader.

I'll personally say Nexus 5 mainly because of the fact that you get a good user experience right out of the box, unlike the M7 which I think has one of the worst looking OS's right next to LG's optimus UI and Touchwiz from Samsung (Sense 5.5).

Nexus 5 takes a lot less hurdles to unlock the bootloader, all it is is just one simple fastboot command of

fastboot oem unlock

it's easier than having to sign up and verify yourself just to unlock the bootloader.

I'll personally say Nexus 5 mainly because of the fact that you get a good user experience right out of the box, unlike the M7 which I think has one of the worst looking OS's right next to LG's optimus UI and Touchwiz from Samsung (Sense 5.5).

The M7 has Sense 6 now.  Also I like how Sense looks :P

fastboot oem unlock

My point above, was that the HTC Sense does look bad. Why not get a better phone (in some ways), and make the OS the same as it would be on the Nexus 5? And, yes. It is much easier to unlock the bootloader on the Nexus 5 when you put it that way. It's just cool that HTC puts it right up there in the face of the web, whereas you have to go look it up on the Nexus. Your point remains valid, though.

Another hurdle to overcome is using Firewater on the M7 and M8, and other HTC phones. They have a security setting in fastboot labeled as S-On or S-Off. They come S-On stock, and there's only a chance that the Firewater exploit will work on your phone after you scramble the kernel, with something like InsertCoin or ARHD. It didn't work on my M8, sadly. It might work on your M7 if you get one. _ASSASSIN_ did bring up a couple reasons that are worth taking into consideration when choosing.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

ART is really great but doesn't work with Wolfram|Alpha and PowerAmp which was annoying.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I own a Nexus 5 and a One M7. I had many issue with the speakers on the HTC and had to send it back 3 times for repair. This led to the purchase of the Nexus 5 and I have been using it ever since. I like the One M7, however the pain of RMA was too great. 

My point above, was that the HTC Sense does look bad. Why not get a better phone (in some ways), and make the OS the same as it would be on the Nexus 5? And, yes. It is much easier to unlock the bootloader on the Nexus 5 when you put it that way. It's just cool that HTC puts it right up there in the face of the web, whereas you have to go look it up on the Nexus. Your point remains valid, though.

Another hurdle to overcome is using Firewater on the M7 and M8, and other HTC phones. They have a security setting in fastboot labeled as S-On or S-Off. They come S-On stock, and there's only a chance that the Firewater exploit will work on your phone after you scramble the kernel, with something like InsertCoin or ARHD. It didn't work on my M8, sadly. It might work on your M7 if you get one. _ASSASSIN_ did bring up a couple reasons that are worth taking into consideration when choosing.

I AM NOT GOING TO ROOT MY PHONE AND DO CRAZY THINGS!  I am new to Android LOL!  But as I said above, I like the way Sense looks...

I AM NOT GOING TO ROOT MY PHONE AND DO CRAZY THINGS!  I am new to Android LOL!  But as I said above, I like the way Sense looks...

Ok, I was just saying, you can do some pretty cool stuff. With nexus, you just download the NRT and click a few buttons and you're done. That simple. If you aren't rooting, and you like the Sense interface, I would definitely go for the M7.

Ok, I was just saying, you can do some pretty cool stuff. With nexus, you just download the NRT and click a few buttons and you're done. That simple. If you aren't rooting, and you like the Sense interface, I would definitely go for the M7.

I haven't used it extensively, so I don't know, same with stock, but it looks good, and Linus liked it :D 

I haven't used it extensively, so I don't know, same with stock, but it looks good, and Linus liked it :D

I love my M8. I still have HTC Sense 6 and I must say I like it alot. I love the integration with Twitter, IG and all that right into the OS. Just swipe right and you can see everything. :)

S-off is completely useless to most users. S-off is only good for being able to flash custom bootloader like I have with my m7 with the Google play edition bootloader.

Also, unlocking the bootloader is 100% useless to most users, which is the make it difficult as locking it is there for security and for the manufacturer's sake of locking you down to their own.

ART is really great but doesn't work with Wolfram|Alpha and PowerAmp which was annoying.

i'm on 4.4.4 and art on my nexus 5 and poweramp has been working since 4.4.1 I believe.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

talking about a snapchat saving program and a unlimited skip pandora  :ph34r:

art is great. The nexus is great, but i would only really get that if you want to expirment with rooting and such. its almost bulletproof with all the guides and stuff today, and its fun. 

i ill said that the HTC One M7 is not worth it....because the nexus 5 is faster and newer than the One M7.. Sure you might say i don't need the more powerful snapdragon 800 but, with time goes on app will need more power and it's good to have a phone is more powerful for the time being. ( in other word the nexus 5 is more Future Proof (god i hate that word)     )

forgive me if i miss understand

blah, blah. ART is safe. Just don't whine when your apps don't work.

Nexus 5 is a great phone and I feel better than htc one m7.