why is the r9 290 reference so loud ?

The-youri
Go to solution Solved by Jobbe03,

is there any way to get the card more quieter ? 

Arctic's Accelero Xtreme III

so i just bought the r9 290 reference card from asus and why is it so damn loud

im thinking to get the corsair hydro water cooler on the release because,

even my friends hear the gpu while talking on skype/teamspeak

( the performance is awesome i upgraded from a msi 660 ti )

thnx , 

Because they underbuilt the cooling on the card so it has to run super fast to keep it cool.

I am a happy wuffy

Because they underbuilt the cooling on the card so it has to run super fast to keep it cool.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

that's another 60 euro's -_- 

DAMN 

that's another 60 euro's -_- 

DAMN 

It's worth it !

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

It's worth it !

yeah maybe a future upgrade i just got the gpu so my wallet is empty again xD

Awesome GPU but well you should invest in a GPU Cooler as soon as you can because if the beast that is the R9 290 is tamed, it is one of hell of a card/

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Awesome GPU but well you should invest in a GPU Cooler as soon as you can because if the beast that is the R9 290 is tamed, it is one of hell of a card/

i've seen some things about unlocking the gpu ?

this is my first amd gpu so i don't really get it what is unlocking and do i need an other cooler for unlocking this card ?

i've seen some things about unlocking the gpu ?

this is my first amd gpu so i don't really get it what is unlocking and do i need an other cooler for unlocking this card ?

i think its about Flashing your R9 290 into a R9 290X But i think you could only do that with early versions of the card.

My PC

i think its about Flashing your R9 290 into a R9 290X But i think you could only do that with early versions of the card.

ah oke thnx for the info !

i think if i upgrade the cooler ,

overclocking is more than enough for this card i dont want to break it by flashing ! 

ah oke thnx for the info !

i think if i upgrade the cooler ,

overclocking is more than enough for this card i dont want to break it by flashing ! 

Good luck!

My PC

Either get a after market cooler installed, a sound dampened case, or sell it and get a quieter one, that is about it.

Either get a after market cooler installed, a sound dampened case, or sell it and get a quieter one, that is about it.

i'll get a after market cooler 

Water cool it or arctic accelero xtreme

You can run custom fan curves that can help keep the noise at a more 'constant' rate rather than nothing then everything in terms of noise.

I set my reference 290 at a constant 30% fan speed till 70c where I have it increase until 53% at 90c, this helps keep the noise more consistent and less abrupt.

All depends on your systems air flow and your ambient temperatures tho, but thats how I set it.

(BTW I use Evga precision x)

if you have a closed loop watercooling unit lying around, i can hihgly recomend the nzxt g10. a simple 120mm unit will do, a gpu produces less heat then a oc,d cpu. its awesome.. no throttling, far better overclocking and really silent!.

if you have a closed loop watercooling unit lying around, i can hihgly recomend the nzxt g10. a simple 120mm unit will do, a gpu produces less heat then a oc,d cpu. its awesome.. no throttling, far better overclocking and really silent!.

I've heard some things about peoples VRMs/VRAM baking with that :P

• 2 weeks later...

you can buy heatsinks for you gpu vrm and ram for less then 10 bucks on ebay. with proper mounting that will be more than enough.

vrams usually are rated for 120 c...

most aftermarket cards with branded coolers also do much worse in vrm cooling then ref usually.

while your at it change the nzxt fan for a noctua and enjoy the silence!

for some extra info.

if you bench the gpu with something that maxes out the gpu for longer periods at a time, the temps on the vrm`s will get hot, but for gaming those vrm`s will be just fine.. how often do you run 100% gpu usage while gaming? hardly ever, and if you are you should turn the settings down anyway.  the vrm`s wont be running at 100% verry often while gaming.

and believe me, running a g10 will be a massive improvement, even at stock settings, cause the gpu wont throttle to 850mhz cause it will never reach 94 degrees ever again

The reference heatsinks are from the 7970 so its dissipation capabilities can't cope with the tdp of the 290(x)

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

The reference heatsinks are from the 7970 so its dissipation capabilities can't cope with the tdp of the 290(x)

Which, Im sorry, but that is just so unbelievably unacceptable by AMD.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

they actually had a new one but partners didnt want to use em, which is what i heard

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

PlNpBUy.jpg

apparantly this is what it was supposed to look like, supposedly