Trying to find the right Mobo for me.

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find the right motherboard for me to upgrade to. I currently have the Asus Rampage iii extreme, it is still running great, but I am preemptively looking around for the next motherboard for me. I have been looking at Asus' z97 boards and am thinking between the Maximus VII Hero or the Sabertooth Mark I. 

If anyone can give me a little input that would be great. Ive watched the videos Linus has put out on the Z97 so I am pretty confident I want to go with that chipset. I mostly use my desktop for gaming and video/picture editing and such. 

Thank you.

if you jump to another chipset you'll need a new CPU as well.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Yeah I plan on upgrading other components as well, just trying to nail down the Mobo for now. 

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find the right motherboard for me to upgrade to. I currently have the Asus Rampage iii extreme, it is still running great, but I am preemptively looking around for the next motherboard for me. I have been looking at Asus' z97 boards and am thinking between the Maximus VII Hero or the Sabertooth Mark I. 

If anyone can give me a little input that would be great. Ive watched the videos Linus has put out on the Z97 so I am pretty confident I want to go with that chipset. I mostly use my desktop for gaming and video/picture editing and such. 

Thank you.

Why are you looking at new motherboards? I would reccomend not looking until you are less than a few weeks away from buying. Prices, models, etc change so fast.

Not to mention in order for it to be worth upgrading at all, you will be looking at new chipset and new cpu etc. The only real upgrade currently is if you have something older than a Sandy bridge CPU and you plan on switching to the new Devil's canyon CPUs. Let us know why you are upgrading and when :)

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

What do you do with your system, and what are you hoping to do?

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

Thats just the thing, I have a 1366 CPU and I want to make the jump to a 4th gen, hopefully soon. 

And I game and do video/picture editing. 

1366 is still more powerfull then the top end i7 (or at least just as powerfull), so even when your mobo dies, i would pick up a second hand mobo because its a waste to buy a new CPU when your current one is still powerfull enough

maybe look into MSI's offerings?

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Thats just the thing, I have a 1366 CPU and I want to make the jump to a 4th gen, hopefully soon. 

And I game and do video/picture editing. 

Cool! Enjoy the upgrade :)

Pretty much anything from the top brands will do well. I personally don't buy motherboards much over $150 USD, as past that point you are generally just paying for looks and un-necessary features and not performance/quality. Nothing against spending a ton extra, just not necessary for a good board. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Cool! Enjoy the upgrade :)

Pretty much anything from the top brands will do well. I personally don't buy motherboards much over $150 USD, as past that point you are generally just paying for looks and un-necessary features and not performance/quality. Nothing against spending a ton extra, just not necessary for a good board. 

Thank you! Yeah I can see that. I got my Rampage iii extreme for only $130, so I saved a great deal of money when I first got it. Im looking into Asus' other Z97 right now.

And I haven't really looked into just replacing my 1366 after my mono goes so definitely something to look into, thank you Freaky_spider.

But which board do you guys think would be a better fit for me if I did go ahead and go 4th ten Z97? The Maximus or the Sabertooth?