Z87 or Z97?

It's the most amazing thing ever created by man, thats why I put a ring on. That way it woudln't leave me.

That's a pretty serious level of commitment lol.

#thatescelatedquickly

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

That's a pretty serious level of commitment lol.

#thatescelatedquickly

There is some things that just need to be done.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

sabertooth z97

Ahh...such a sexy board.

Loving my Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1. Granted I'm not OCing but by board stays right above ambient temps.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

One thing you might want to have a look for is whether the Z87 board supports the processor (4790K).  For sure the Z97 boards will support it, but you may run into problems with the deep dark workings of the interface between mobo/CPU.  

I haven't looked recently which boards have had their bios updates to support the new CPUs, but it would be something to keep in mind.  I seem to remember JJ from ASUS saying something about there being problems with backwards compatibility.  

The Z97 boards aren't even that much more expensive, so why not play it safe?

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

With the price difference and the added support...I don't see much of a reason to go with Z87 over Z97 personally...

Z97 has NFC support if I am not mistaken

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.