What phone should I get for my dad?

Trollzarz

Hi

My dad is looking to buy a smartphone, he currently has a flip phone and all he needs is a cheap phone that has 3G (preferably LTE), a decent camera, and has a decent battery life. Being durable is also nice.

Thanks.

Gamer, Programmer and Server Administrator

all with a HP laptop <3

$300 max. I might look at an iPhone but if he got an m8 I would take it :P

all with a HP laptop <3

Maybe a phone from one of the chinese manufacturers like Huawei because of the simplicity of their skins that they use for Android. You could get the Moto X, I think that there was one for $300 in America, I can't remember what network it was on.

Maybe Moto G4g? or Xperia SP is still a good option imho(dualcore but beefy powerful cores) Both have LTE, expandable storage, i know the sony has a good camera, don't kow about the moto. Battery life is good on both. Side by side performance wise, i cant really test'em but i guess they should be pretty similar. Pro for the moto is the IPS panel(better colors), Sony has adreno 320. Only thing really against sony i guess is that its relatively an "old" phone, not sure how easy it is to get your hands on it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

I'd say the HTC one (E8), if it'll ever come out for the western side of the world. 

EDIT/ Or the Oneplus One, if you're willing to ride a rollercoaster to score an invite. 

For Android then Moto G or at a pinch the Moto E, for Windows Phone then the Lumia 520 or 630/635.

I don't know how he would use the phone but I suspect the M8 or the S5 would be complete overkill and a waste of money.

Budget? iPhone is good for a first smart phone just because of the simplicity. Good camera, ok battery life.

If Android, then the M8 or S3/4/5. Whatever you can afford

That's too expensive! the M8 S4/S5 is 400+ dollars.

I'd get a Moto G or a Nexus 5 for him.

Buy a Nexus 5, no hassle, no bloatware, no everything, just plain vanilla Android, for general use nexus 5 has the best p/p, the only thing I don't like is the lack of microsd

Plus, you can flash the newest android L to the nexus 5, however your BL needs unlocking, which will void your warranty

My current rig for entertainment/gaming: i5 4570 3,2GHz; MSI B85M-E45; ZOTAC GTX760 AMP!; 8GB (2x4GB) by Kingston; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm; Corsair 200R, Corsair VS650; Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD R/W optical drive; CM Devastator; Corsair MM400 gaming pad

I second the nexus 5. If he can spend 50 more bucks that is. Nexus 5 is the phone that has all the latest features. It might not be the best phone there is but its still the phone to get if on a budget

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

For Android then Moto G or at a pinch the Moto E, for Windows Phone then the Lumia 520 or 630/635.

I don't know how he would use the phone but I suspect the M8 or the S5 would be complete overkill and a waste of money.

Those Lumia's are acutally pretty low end specwise. They have 512 MB RAM which is ridiculously low, even though WP might not need that much RAM, it is however of use when running certain Nokia apps. 

Moto G, lte version. If you can spend more, Nexus 5

Hi

My dad is looking to buy a smartphone, he currently has a flip phone and all he needs is a cheap phone that has 3G (preferably LTE), a decent camera, and has a decent battery life. Being durable is also nice.

Thanks.

Moto G LTE Version. It's the phone I'd get for anybody right now IMO. There's something in it for everyone really, it's pretty darn quick, it's got a nice screen, great battery life, expandable storage, it's even practically waterproof. 

"Rawr XD"

Moto G 4G edition.

And wth guys, he said budget, not flagship.

Moto G 4G edition.

And wth guys, he said budget, not flagship.

Oops, then there's no option but moto G with LTE now 

My current rig for entertainment/gaming: i5 4570 3,2GHz; MSI B85M-E45; ZOTAC GTX760 AMP!; 8GB (2x4GB) by Kingston; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm; Corsair 200R, Corsair VS650; Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD R/W optical drive; CM Devastator; Corsair MM400 gaming pad

Thanks, i'm going to try get a Moto G 4G for him. Also, I forgot to clarify - $300 NZD. 

all with a HP laptop <3

As much as I would like to recommend an iPhone, the elderlies just plain need a big screen with giant fonts. And for that, any Android or Windows phone would be good.

I've recently passed my iPhone 4s down to my mom and learned that while iOS is easy to learn and use, elderlies need a big screen with big fonts so that they are able to read stuff.

I recommend the S5, since you said durable, plus it has a decent camera, and it tends to be more "Family friendly" "Parent Friendly"

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

I recommend the S5, since you said durable, plus it has a decent camera, and it tends to be more "Family friendly" "Parent Friendly"

Yeah not in New Zealand with that 1k price tag

all with a HP laptop <3

Yeah not in New Zealand with that 1k price tag

Wow, same price as SG eh? Get N5 or Moto G then

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Wow, same price as SG eh? Get N5 or Moto G then

Probably go for the moto g

all with a HP laptop <3

His max price is 300$ NZD

$$金Trill金$$