How to set to AHCI

Go to solution Solved by MakeMebad1978,

Strangely, a week after installing the ssd ram usage seems to have dropped again to under 900 when idle

Hi all,

A few weeks back i bought a new case, the Cooler Master Storm Trooper.
But in order to use the x-dock i have to set my sata control to AHCI.

But when i do that windows crashes on startup.
So does anyone know if it is possible for me to set AHCI without having to 

reinstall Windows 7.

My system:
CPU: AMD phenom II X3 720
Got 12 gb RAM DDR3
MB: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4870
1x ssd 128 gb
2x HDD 2TB 
1X HDD 500 gb
1x HDD 1TB (External)

I hope you guys can help me out.

Nope. You will have to re-install Windows. Make sure you backup beforehand!

It has to do with something with Windows installing certain drivers during installation on a certain SATA mode.

Oke. I am backing up as i speak so.

Tank you, guess i have to reinstall then.

Nope. You will have to re-install Windows. Make sure you backup beforehand!

It has to do with something with Windows installing certain drivers during installation on a certain SATA mode.

It's possible. Don't reinstall Windows.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-7-installation

Actually you don't HAVE to re-install.

When I installed my m4 I did it in IDE mode by mistake.

I switched to ahci mode and the driver installed when I booted up.

Here's how I did it.

Boot in IDE mode, open regedit in run.

Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services

Find msahci and right click modify "start" in the right field and switch it to 0

Exit, reboot, switch to ahci mode and the driver should install.

CASE: Haf 912+ CPU: i5 3570k - 4.2ghz COOLER: Hyper 212 evo MOBO: Gigabyte GA-z77x-UD5H GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Hawk RAM: Corsair xms3 4x2gb SSD: Crucial m4 64gb HDD: 2x1tb+250gb hdd SOUND: Asus Xonar dg HEADSET: Steelseries Siberia v2

Raspberry Pi XBMC

1. Startup "Regedit" by pressing the start button and typing "regedit" in the search bar followed by enter. You will now get to a window with an index to the left.

2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services / Msahci.

3. In the right field you will find "start", left click on it and go to "modify".

5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"

6. Exit "Regedit" 

7. Reboot, enter BIOS and switch to AHCI

All done :)

Next time remember to switch to AHCI before you install windows.

1. Startup "Regedit" by pressing the start button and typing "regedit" in the search bar. You will now get to a window with an index to the left.
3. In the right field you will find "start", left click on it and go to "modify".
6. Exit "Regedit" 

All done :)
Next time remember to switch to AHCI before you install windows.

Problem is i got the case and all later on.

I First had an other case and system but the system was way to old so i rebuild one. In my old case.

Lets say i upgrade everything along the way step by step.

Get me :P

Problem is i got the case and all later on.

I First had an other case and system but the system was way to old so i rebuild one. In my old case.

Lets say i upgrade everything along the way step by step.

Get me :P

The main reason why most switch to AHCI is to fully take advantage of an SSD, but I take it you weren't aware of that when you got yours.

I made the same mistake when I got my first :)

<p>I was just wondering, is AHCI hardware based or software? only asking as my PC is fairly old, changed a very noisy raptor 10,000 rpm drive for a samsung 840 ssd. It has sped the system up a little but not alot, then i read about AHCI, went to the BIOS and i only seem to have IDE in the options so can't change it to anything else. I have run that regedit trick though just incase. Samsung MAgician tells me its still not enabled, i'm thinking is my pc too old to actually have AHCI??</p>

Hi guys,

hoping you can help me out again.
So i had to install windows 7 again, kept crashing in the way you gave me.
But now some programs see the drive i have in my x-dock.

For example speccy sees the drive and i believe computer management too,

but the drive still isn't showing up in explorer for some reason.

The only option in manegement with the drive is to delete the volume, it doesn't have a drive letter

assigned and i can't do that either.

Hope you guys can help me out again.
Thanks for the first help.

Greetings

Enable hotswap on in your bios. I had to do that for my X-Docks for my HAF-XB

\

Enable hotswap on in your bios. I had to do that for my X-Docks for my HAF-XB

en where can i do that exactly? Can't find it

<p>I was just wondering, is AHCI hardware based or software? only asking as my PC is fairly old, changed a very noisy raptor 10,000 rpm drive for a samsung 840 ssd. It has sped the system up a little but not alot, then i read about AHCI, went to the BIOS and i only seem to have IDE in the options so can't change it to anything else. I have run that regedit trick though just incase. Samsung MAgician tells me its still not enabled, i'm thinking is my pc too old to actually have AHCI??</p>

From what I can gather; vista and onward supports AHCI out of the box, but if it isn't available in you bios then I'd have to imagine that it wasn't a supported standard back when your computer was new. If you're lucky then you might be able to find a newer bios version for your board, but I don't think you will if it's a branded computer. If it isn't then you should go to the motherboard manufacturers website and look for your specific board.

en where can i do that exactly? Can't find it

Might depend on your Motherboard, look under the sata section. Not sure where on AMD boards.

\

Since installing the samsung 840 ssd ive noticed my system is using more ram at idle than normal, anyone have this issue?  using 1.10 GB ram at idle when it used tobe around 700MB. Nothing else in the system has changed

Since installing the samsung 840 ssd ive noticed my system is using more ram at idle than normal, anyone have this issue?  using 1.10 GB ram at idle when it used tobe around 700MB. Nothing else in the system has changed

Which exact version of windows are you using? 700mb sounds extremely low for windows 7, I idle at about 2gb.

Which exact version of windows are you using? 700mb sounds extremely low for windows 7, I idle at about 2gb.

1-1.2 sounds like normal for windows 7 when all services are started.

@ Stijn

You can just click optimized defaults (f5 or f7 or something) then sata mode/AHCI mode is enabled. Then after go in regedit and do this:

1. Startup "Regedit" by pressing the start button and typing "regedit" in the search bar. You will now get to a window with an index to the left.

6. Exit "Regedit"

After make sure that trim and ahci is enabled by opening CMD and write:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

Results explained below:

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)

DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit with 2GB RAM. only looked at mem usage as since installing the ssd ive been getting low memory warnings pop up quite frquently. I cant enable AHCI as my bios doesnt seem to have any option other than IDE but TRIM does seem to be enabled. I will most likely be building another system when Haswell comes out, or before if i get too impatient so will just have to put up with it for now. Thanks for all the help

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit with 2GB RAM. only looked at mem usage as since installing the ssd ive been getting low memory warnings pop up quite frquently. I cant enable AHCI as my bios doesnt seem to have any option other than IDE but TRIM does seem to be enabled. I will most likely be building another system when Haswell comes out, or before if i get too impatient so will just have to put up with it for now. Thanks for all the help

Let's just say that I don't think you'll have to create a 'should I upgrade to haswell?'-thread ;)

hey guys, i had the same problem, that i didnt switch to ahci along with my ssd so i always had it on ide. then i took the nessecary steps (like on the first page here) and set it to ahci.

but when i did that, my HDD (WD caviar green 1TB) startet to make weird noises so i had to switch the mode back! :( is there a chance to set everything to ahci without a noisy HDD? o.O

thx. :)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

What applications are you running on your PC?  I ran 32 bit for like a day but soon remembered the 4 gig RAM limit.  32 bit windows will only support 4 gigs of RAM. I realize you said you have 2 gigs.  My point is that I started Steam and Call of Duty MW3 and started getting Low Memory errors.   I looked at the performance tab under Task manager and saw that I was indeed using nearly all of the 4 gigs but then I thought "WAIT! I have SIX gigs of RAM!".   I then right clicked on the Computer icon and it said 6 gigs of memory *but only using 4.   Ahhhhhh!    Back to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit I went in a hurry.  No problems after that.

But to your point about AHCI.  My stock, Dell motherboard would not support AHCI. Well rather it was a mystery as to whether it did or not.  There wasn't an option in BIOS to enable AHCI and most forums said it may or may not be enabled by default.    I just recently bought a new ASRock motherboard and it has the AHCI option.  **I still had to go into the registry** as some have posted about because AHCI apparently was not enabled with when I installed Windows.  You have to edit the registry or reinstall Windows if you installed your OS in IDE mode.    Now my SSD works great.  I have notable improvement including in the basic Windows Experience Index.  I have the highest mark Windows gives - 7.9.

Computer enthusiast, Network Consultant - 16+ years experience - Associates Degree in Electronics - 1996 - CompTIA A+ certification - 2000 - Bachelor's Degree of Information Technology - 2010

What applications are you running on your PC?  I ran 32 bit for like a day but soon remembered the 4 gig RAM limit.  32 bit windows will only support 4 gigs of RAM. I realize you said you have 2 gigs.  My point is that I started Steam and Call of Duty MW3 and started getting Low Memory errors.   I looked at the performance tab under Task manager and saw that I was indeed using nearly all of the 4 gigs but then I thought "WAIT! I have SIX gigs of RAM!".   I then right clicked on the Computer icon and it said 6 gigs of memory *but only using 4.   Ahhhhhh!    Back to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit I went in a hurry.  No problems after that.

But to your point about AHCI.  My stock, Dell motherboard would not support AHCI. Well rather it was a mystery as to whether it did or not.  There wasn't an option in BIOS to enable AHCI and most forums said it may or may not be enabled by default.    I just recently bought a new ASRock motherboard and it has the AHCI option.  **I still had to go into the registry** as some have posted about because AHCI apparently was not enabled with when I installed Windows.  You have to edit the registry or reinstall Windows if you installed your OS in IDE mode.    Now my SSD works great.  I have notable improvement including in the basic Windows Experience Index.  I have the highest mark Windows gives - 7.9.

All i ever have running is things like Itunes and multiple tabs of safari and firefox, i only have a gtx 520 0db edition (fanless) so no good for games with a core 2 duo 2.2Ghz, about 5 years old. I've only been wanting to build another for over 1 year but things keep getting in the way, like car problems or the girlfriend not wanting me to change it as its ok for "her facebook games". It sits right next to the tv in the living room and the 10k rpm drive plus the cpu fan drive me up the wall, changing to the ssd has cured one noise so just the fan to go.

I want my next system to be just like my farts, silent but powerful, lol

Strangely, a week after installing the ssd ram usage seems to have dropped again to under 900 when idle