moving my PC to a new house

I'm moving to my new house today and want to know if there is anything special I need to do to move my PC. I still have the original box the case came in. Do I need to remove the GPU or HDD? The drive is short less than 20 miles.

Thanks for any advice

Should be fine. Try to not let it get bumped around if you can help it. Would take out the GPU just for safety's sake. A bump could potentially break the PCB.

I sent mine in a suitcase full of bubble wrap on a 2 hour flight with it fully assembled, you're probably fine

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

Assuming your case isn't a POS you should be fine..  Around 4 times we have driven my brother's PC on a 6 hourish car ride and it has been fine.

I would put it inside the car and make sure it is secure / won't move around too much... 

Just put it mobo side down and it'll be fine. Oh, don't drive like a maniac.

Yep, I'd also put it mobo side down on a blanket or something soft to reduce impacts :)

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Just don't get hit and you'll be fine.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

I would remove the GPU, and HDD and maybe box them up well with bubble wrap or some sort of padding. Everything else should be fine, you can keep all that in the case.

If you have an outstandingly huge heatsink then you might want to consider removing it, but for a short journey it's probably not worth the trouble.

Like some of the others have said, put it on it's side, so that the motherboard is lying down on the seat and heatsinks/GPU are all verticals, facing the roof of the car.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I put mine in my trunk and packed a bunch of clothes all around it. Its a small trunk.

Secure anything loose in the case, take out the GPU and stow it away securely, and do your best to secure the computer so that it won't shuffle. Please don't drive in NYC (especially the Belt Pkwy) as you will arrive with your PC in shreds. Don't drive like a maniac, follow the speed limit, and don't floor the gas/slam the brakes.

Pack the hdd & GPU on seperate bubblewraps, static free for the gpu ofcourse , GPU should be placed most preferably on the box it came in, otherthan that makesure everything is properly place/screwed in on to case itself.

Details separate people.

If you have a clunky aftermarket cooling solution, like Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, I would suggest either wrapping it up tight or removing it while you drive it around etc etc. Just lay it on its side so the motherboard is flat (take out GPU and HDD), pack it up tight so it isn't slung around or whatnot and drive safely. Your PC will be fine. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I just moved a my PC to my friend's and back yesterday and it was just a matter of taking out the video card and keeping it separate, then putting it in the passenger seat, putting the seatbelt around it and pulling the seatbelt all the way out and releasing it so it locks. It has a stock Intel cooler so no worries about tower cooler breaking though, and car vibrations won't wreck a hard drive when it's off and seated so I wouldn't worry about that too much. 

"Rawr XD"

Put it in the box, fill the empty spaces bubblewrap or packaging foam, strap it down and lastly, don't drive like a maniac.

It worked for me so why not? :D

Just take the hard drives out and you should be golden. put the hard drives in a padded box. A Gpu box usually fits them great and has enough padding to keep them secure. Most hard drives ship in less padding anyway. 

If you have a car, wedge your tower on the floor between the front and back seat so it doesn't slide. 

Don't worry about taking the GPUs out unless they are one of those non-oem ones that aren't really secured to the backplate and have a ton of flex. Still probably not a problem, vibrations wont hurt them. 

Should be golden!  :D

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I have driven probbaly a total of 150 hrs with my desktop and just put it in the original box and it still runs like new.