Laptop slow as balls

Trollzarz

Hi, I have a laptop that I have had for a couple years now, with (what I call decent specs apart from HDD and RAM) an i7-2670QM, Radeon 6770M, and 4GB of RAM. I am running Windows 8.1 on it. However, frequently it takes a LONG time to open programs, load webpages (even on decent internet), and more. The hard drive response time frequently peaks to over 1 minute, even though the total usage of it is not over 1Mbps. It is a 5200RPM HDD, so I think it is this, but if it is not is there any other solution that could fix this?

Gamer, Programmer and Server Administrator

all with a HP laptop <3

CCleaner, Defreg first 

and a good scan for malwares

if you know how to access your HDD you can clone your HDD onto a new HDD or SSD install the new drive and you get a speed boost

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

CCleaner, Defreg first 

and a good scan for malwares

if you know how to access your HDD you can clone your HDD onto a new HDD or SSD install the new drive and you get a speed boost

Okay, will try. Although, defrag says that I have "nothing to do". This defrag UI is so shitey compared to older versions.

all with a HP laptop <3

try this program 

also from the maker of CCleaner

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

try this program 

also from the maker of CCleaner

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

yeah, i found that while downloading ccleaner

all with a HP laptop <3

If you damaged your hard drive (ex. Dropped your laptop causing the HDD to out of sync), it could get very slow, yet functional. If that's not the case, try following these steps.

1.Defragment your hard drive

2.Clean your hard drive

3.Disable applications that eat up drive response times

A problem I faced once was that I had disk defrags scheduled, stupidly. Once I had that disabled, my response times went from 4000ms to 0.1.

I'd also advise you to try running Windows in safe mode and see your disk response times there. If everything is fast in Safe Mode, it means that your applications are constantly eating up your response times. If it still takes a long time in Safe Mode, it means

1.Your HDD is out of wack

2.It's time for an upgrade.

Since you have a laptop, I reccommend Hybrid drives only if you can't afford SSDs around the capacity you desire.

I hope this helped, good luck.

P.S. Your syatem should be much faster after your HDD opperates as it's supposed to. Your storage plays a huge role in every aspect of your experience.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

If you damaged your hard drive.

2.Clean your hard drive

I'd also advise you to try running Windows in safe mode and see your disk response times there. If everything is fast in Safe Mode, it means that your applications are constantly eating up your response times. If it still takes a long time in Safe Mode, it means

Since you have a laptop, I reccommend Hybrid drives only if you can't afford SSDs around the capacity you desire.

P.S. Your syatem should be much faster after your HDD opperates as it's supposed to. Your storage plays a huge role in every aspect of your experience.

Nice answer.

SSHD +1

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

In addition to the suggestions above, perhaps make sure you've cleaned dust out of the fans, and see what the temperatures of your system are like. If you've had it for years and haven't done much maintenance on it, it's possible that it's due for a repaste as well.

Additionally, are you finding that you use up all your RAM? If you have a 64-bit OS, an upgrade to 8GB of RAM shouldn't be too difficult (assuming the design of your laptop is friendly enough)

If you damaged your hard drive (ex. Dropped your laptop causing the HDD to out of sync), it could get very slow, yet functional. If that's not the case, try following these steps.

2.Clean your hard drive

A problem I faced once was that I had disk defrags scheduled, stupidly. Once I had that disabled, my response times went from 4000ms to 0.1.

Thanks, I will probally look into a SSD and then get a external HDD. I will disable defrags after this, as I am currently doing one on Defraggler and it still hasnt finished after 12 hours. I might try a fresh install of Windows as I have done other fresh installs but they have just moved everything into Windows.old.

In addition to the suggestions above, perhaps make sure you've cleaned dust out of the fans, and see what the temperatures of your system are like. If you've had it for years and haven't done much maintenance on it, it's possible that it's due for a repaste as well.

Additionally, are you finding that you use up all your RAM? If you have a 64-bit OS, an upgrade to 8GB of RAM shouldn't be too difficult (assuming the design of your laptop is friendly enough)

I will try and clean the fans, but by repaste do you mean new thermal paste? If so, I will look into it.

all with a HP laptop <3

I have done other fresh installs but they have just moved everything into Windows.old.

When you reinstall, and are setting it up you can run a disk cleanup on c: and remove the windows.old files.

(Most people just delete them manually, but Windows DOES have a way of doing it itself via disk cleanup)

These old files are not helping and probably are adding to the fragmentation to the drive, if you still have it there.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I have 26 cents in my bank

all with a HP laptop <3

When you reinstall, and are setting it up you can run a disk cleanup on c: and remove the windows.old files.

(Most people just delete them manually, but Windows DOES have a way of doing it itself via disk cleanup)

These old files are not helping and probably are adding to the fragmentation to the drive, if you still have it there.

Yeah, I just formatted it and I am trying short stroking. Installing now

all with a HP laptop <3

Yeah, I just formatted it and I am trying short stroking. Installing now

Nice.

You short stroke within the Win setup?

Nice.

You short stroke within the Win setup?

No, I took the hard drive out and installed it on another computer.

all with a HP laptop <3

If you open a program or something lets say more then 1 Gigabyte big (movie file etc).

Does the HDD throttle too 100%? If so....HDD is dying....

Also from the post i'm reading I think you should check for bad sectors on your hard drive.

Save money champ and get a SSD. there pure gold for me as well as most other users.