ATH-M50x or AKG Q701

Ps_domingo

I have narrowed down my choices of headphones to these two.

Which one is better for you guys?

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

akg q701 would most likely be better, although may be lacking in bass comparatively

It all comes down to personal preference though

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I have narrowed down my choices of headphones to these two.

Which one is better for you guys?

Both are awesome. I have the M50s (Same thing basically) and a friend has the Q701's.  Basically the same in audio quality, but go with the M50X if you want slightly better bass response.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Go for the ATH-M50's if you aren't amping, go for the Q701's if you are.

I disagree,

If you kill me you're better, If I kill you I'm better.

Go for the ATH-M50's if you aren't amping, go for the Q701's if you are.

I do have a Fiio E18. :)

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

Completely different.

The 701 is open, neutral and more detailed. The M50 is closed, bass heavy and not as detailed.

The 701 will require an amp more powerful than the e18 to get the most out of them, especially the low end.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

akg q701 would most likely be better, although may be lacking in bass comparatively

It all comes down to personal preference though

This. They have different sound signatures, even though the AKG is technically better, the best headphone is the on that is LIKED by YOU.

Personally I would pick neither but if I had to pick one of the 2 it would be Q701 since you can get them fairly cheap at times used. The M50x is so overrated. 

Completely different.

The 701 is open, neutral and more detailed. The M50 is closed, bass heavy and not as detailed.

The 701 will require an amp more powerful than the e18 to get the most out of them, especially the low end.

Especially the low end? :rolleyes:

I'm going to say that the Fiio E18 is adequate to drive the Q701 to reasonable listening levels. Dynamic music might be a stretch but probably doable.

I'm going to say that the Fiio E18 is adequate to drive the Q701

You haven't owned them ;)

Edit - I should add, the X70X drivers seem to only benefit from more powerful amps in producing low end. Mids and highs are taken care of quite promptly without much effot.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

You haven't owned them ;)

Edit - I should add, the X70X drivers seem to only benefit from more powerful amps in producing low end. Mids and highs are taken care of quite promptly without much effot.

Please stop it with the Head-Fi talk. E18 is fine. 

Please stop it with the Head-Fi talk. E18 is fine. 

Man, I must be a terrible person for responding to someone questioning what I said. 701's are pretty damn inefficient.

Man, I must be a terrible person for responding to someone questioning what I said. 701's are pretty damn inefficient.

Have you owned the E18? I'm perfectly aware that the 701's are inefficient. 92.92 dB/mW to be precise.

Nah you just fell for the Head-Fi marketing of buying expensive amps for no reason at all. 

Nah you just fell for the Head-Fi marketing of buying expensive amps for no reason at all. 

I wouldn't say the Audioengine D1 is an expensive amp. sure it's no o2 but it's pretty good. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I wouldn't say the Audioengine D1 is an expensive amp. sure it's no o2 but it's pretty good. 

The op already has an amp.

The op already has an amp.

I know. I was saying that Lyons has an Audioengine D1 dac (with "high performance amplifier"), which is pretty good, but not as good (specwise) as an o2.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Not sure how this compares, but I have the K701 AKG and Earsuit 700 A/T models.  I like the open backed AKG for sound quality at home in a quiet environment with adequate power.  I like the Audio Technica for excellent compromise of sound quality given its solid isolation in a noisy environment, easy driveability out of a phone, and portability for its compact size (you can fold the M50x up even tho the cups are bigger than mine.) Would pick the AKG at my desk every time. Would pick the Audio Technica away from desk every time.

forgot to add: AKG earcups super comfy for my head during long listening stretches.