Is this trustworthy?

Hargreaves

Hi everyone,

So here's the deal: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/4534286208.html

I'm planning to go check on this offer in the afternoon and I'm not sure whether I should buy it, it's enticing for $300.

Besides testing the gpu, what should I look for or ask this guy about it, so that I do not get scammed/ripped off.

Thanks.

iMac 27in. @ 4.3GHz l 32GB Ram l 512GB Flash l GTX 780M 

Mac Pro @ 3.5GHz 6 Core l 64GB Ram l 512GB PCIe Flash l Dual AMD FirePro D700

Test the card, no matter what you do. Ask to run GPU-Z and monitor it while running a benchmark if possible. Listen for coil whine, and look/listen for any other issues.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

Hi,

Send it to me and I'll go over it like a pro for you. :D jk

Ask what he used the card for and why he is selling it. If the answers don't seem like lies and your test seems fine, I'd say it isn't fake.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Test the card, no matter what you do. Ask to run GPU-Z and monitor it while running a benchmark if possible. Listen for coil whine, and look/listen for any other issues.

What type of benchmark? 

What type of benchmark? 

Any. Preferably a graphically demanding one. Running a game or two should be fine. If possible, bring a USB with what you want to test it with, or ask what games he already has handy (if you use his system to test).

The Unreal 4 engine that's coming out has some free benchmarks/showcases. Here

I recommend getting and running the Elemental Demo, and from the pack of five, running the Realistic Rendering Demo, Cave Demo (with high-end pre-set in-demo), and Game Demo. That's what I do for friends wanting to buy used cards; I give them my USB. Although, I have a few other benchmarking things on it, as well as antiviruses and that crap...

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

What type of benchmark? 

Furmark, I usually run Valley for realistic stuff, but make him run Furmark.  It will not kill the card, but it will make it cry and it will make the gpu go to a super high temp.  My gpu runs 71c max during 6 hours of far cry 3, but runs over 80c in furmark.  

Also tell him to run Valley, Valley I find better to find unstable clocks, might be useful.  

Any. Preferably a graphically demanding one. Running a game or two should be fine. If possible, bring a USB with what you want to test it with, or ask what games he already has handy (if you use his system to test).

The Unreal 4 engine that's coming out has some free benchmarks/showcases. Here

I recommend getting and running the Elemental Demo, and from the pack of five, running the Realistic Rendering Demo, Cave Demo (with high-end pre-set in-demo), and Game Demo. That's what I do for friends wanting to buy used cards; I give them my USB. Although, I have a few other benchmarking things on it, as well as antiviruses and that crap...

Furmark, I usually run Valley for realistic stuff, but make him run Furmark.  It will not kill the card, but it will make it cry and it will make the gpu go to a super high temp.  My gpu runs 71c max during 6 hours of far cry 3, but runs over 80c in furmark.  

Also tell him to run Valley, Valley I find better to find unstable clocks, might be useful.  

Should I be worried that he's selling for $100+ off retail value - even if it's 'used for a month'. 

Let's say the card runs fine on the tests, and he may/may not have used it for mining - should I be alarmed? Sorry if I'm being a busy body, $300 is a lot to risk.

Should I be worried that he's selling for $100+ off retail value - even if it's 'used for a month'. 

Let's say the card runs fine on the tests, and he may/may not have used it for mining - should I be alarmed? Sorry if I'm being a busy body, $300 is a lot to risk.

Yeah, It could just be he wants to get rid of it because he just wants to get a different card.  But I always buy brand new computer components because every time I buy used ones theres a problem.  EVERY TIME!

Yeah, It could just be he wants to get rid of it because he just wants to get a different card.  But I always buy brand new computer components because every time I buy used ones theres a problem.  EVERY TIME!

However, this is one case. In my case, I've never had a problem besides having a GTX 470 fail on me two months after a purchase for half the price it was worth, used, which I only got it as a temp part anyways. So, stories will vary, and you shouldn't even take my story without salt; Deem worthy what you will after testing the card.

It doesn't even say which R9 it is. Don't both the 290 and 290x come in that color?

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

It doesn't even say which R9 it is. Don't both the 290 and 290x come in that color?

There is a picture of the box. It appears to be a 290.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Hi everyone,

So here's the deal: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/4534286208.html

I'm planning to go check on this offer in the afternoon and I'm not sure whether I should buy it, it's enticing for $300.

Besides testing the gpu, what should I look for or ask this guy about it, so that I do not get scammed/ripped off.

Thanks.

Why not ask the guy if the COPs could check it out for you?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

After reading, I'll add to see the remaning waranty if it comes with it.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Check if there's warranty. I wouldn't buy a used GPU, you take a lot of risks, maybe he used it for mining and that can reduce the GPU lifetime. Test and double check the GPU if you really want it.