not to sure to post this. streaming media!

kinkywink

hey guys im just curious as to whats the best way to stream media - simplistic and easy for old people :S

my mum/dad want to be able to stream media to there tv, at the moment they just plug a ext hdd into the ps3 and play from there.

my mum has about 4 or 5 of these 2tb western digital ext hdd (normal greens if you wanted to know)

and i know how to hook them up to a computer so i was wondering...

would it be simple enough to build a computer, put all the hdd's in it and then just connect the pc to the ps3 with the media server options? or is there a better way?

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

Get or build a home-server/PC and connect an AppleTV to it. This is currently my solution on my Home Theater. I can browse through tons of movies on there and even watch Netflix and Hulu with ease.

this was another option, but apple tv prices here are quite high stupidly :S but yeah..

are you able to  connect straight to the apple tv with no problems from the computer? nothing tricky?

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

Building an ITX computer and using it to play the media directly to the TV is an option, you'd be amazed how small you can make one.

Here's a thread that I made, some guys put some great answers.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158330-itx-htpc-ultra-low-power-consumption-build-or-should-i-use-an-android-pcdevice/

Building an ITX computer and using it to play the media directly to the TV is an option, you'd be amazed how small you can make one.

Here's a thread that I made, some guys put some great answers.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158330-itx-htpc-ultra-low-power-consumption-build-or-should-i-use-an-android-pcdevice/

how do you connect to the tv? and how do you select what media you want to play?

how do you connect to the tv? and how do you select what media you want to play?

You can use HDMI, and you can use Netflix in a browser, play DVDs/blurays from an optical drive if you put on in, you can play media from the hard drives by just downloading a player like VLC and just clicking on the files.

It's very simply, there is also a good program for playing movies stored on a hard drive called XBMC (it's free) and you get an interface on the TV to navigate through all your media.

You can use HDMI, and you can use Netflix in a browser, play DVDs/blurays from an optical drive if you put on in, you can play media from the hard drives by just downloading a player like VLC and just clicking on the files.

It's very simply, there is also a good program for playing movies stored on a hard drive called XBMC (it's free) and you get an interface on the TV to navigate through all your media.

okay, thanks for that :)