2x 3 GB HD Radeon 7970 vs 6 GB HD Radeon 7970

Rakoooh

great answer, only point i would make is that ares 2 is still in crossfire unless im mistaken

Yes. It is in Crossfire.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

hi there 

Hey i have rather simple question, but I need more confirmation about my knowledge. I want upgrade my graphic card. Right now I have sapphire Radeon 3 GB hd 7970. So would a double sapphire radeon hd 7970 in crossfire equal one ARES2-6GD5 ? 

If they have the same performance or small difference, what are the advantage of have double Graphic card? will the single card use less power? 

well that's for now, I hope I get helpful information from you guys

THANKS ! :)

How much does the ARES cost?

The 2x 7970 will be alot cheaper, but you will expect some problems due to CrossFire.

Ok both the Ares 2 and 7970 CF have the same CF caveats. The Areas2 will perform a bit less than two 7970 in CF OC for OC apples to apples.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

Ok both the Ares 2 and 7970 CF have the same CF caveats. The Areas2 will perform a bit less than two 7970 in CF OC for OC apples to apples.

I disagree with that.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

The ARES II GPUs are clocked at 1050MHz. It's able to boost up to 1.1GHz per GPU. The stock clock for a 7970 is 950MHz.

Here's an overclocked 7970 which details the stock clocks for a 7970. Here's an ARES II, which details its clocks and boost clock. ARES II is clearly faster than two of the linked overclocked cards, and faster than two stock 7970s.

Ares II is faster than two 7970s in Crossfire.

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it isn't my native language :)

The ARES II GPUs are clocked at 1050MHz. It's able to boost up to 1.1GHz per GPU. The stock clock for a 7970 is 950MHz.

Here's an overclocked 7970 which details the stock clocks for a 7970. Here's an ARES II, which details its clocks and boost clock. ARES II is clearly faster than two of the linked overclocked cards, and faster than two stock 7970s.

Apples to Apples means the same Tahiti XT2 GPUs @ the same clocks. See the heat management on the single PCB is better than the Ares 2 with 2 GPUs crammed into one PCB.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

Apples to Apples means the same Tahiti XT2 GPUs @ the same clocks. See the heat management on the single PCB is better than the Ares 2 with 2 GPUs crammed into one PCB.

Then, either neither would be faster, or Ares II would be faster. Running everything natively as they are, ARES wins.

If you extrapolate the numbers the Ares 7970 is not magical it's just 2x 7970s on one PCB. 7970s in CF are better because you will get better cooling and the choice of which cherry picked 7970 to choose from suck as Toxic 7970s which are in stock and actually still in production.

Then, either neither would be faster, or Ares II would be faster. Running everything natively as they are, ARES wins.

7970 Toxic cards are better in Cf than Ares 2.

u already have 1 7970 just get a next one and crossfire it. you would now have a damn fast gpu and when some cool driver updates rolls out you would have nothing to worry about 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

If you extrapolate the numbers the Ares 7970 is not magical it's just 2x 7970s on one PCB. 7970s in CF are better because you will get better cooling and the choice of which cherry picked 7970 to choose from suck as Toxic 7970s which are in stock and actually still in production.

But choosing natively performance wise, ARES wins. If you just put them in and let them run in benchmarks, ARES will win. Yes, cooling will be better on two separate 7970s. I realize that, but performance wise at out of the box clocks, ARES wins unless of course you decide to use Toxic cards, as you mentioned above me.

7970 Toxic cards are better in Cf than Ares 2.

agreed 100%! Can i ask is the picture you or is it the guy from half life 2? : )

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

Ares II is faster than two 7970s in Crossfire.

Faster only when you skew the numbers. Apples to Apple single GPUs are always better than dual GPU cards. unless you skew the numbers in favor on the dual GPU card.

But choosing natively performance wise, ARES wins. If you just put them in and let them run in benchmarks, ARES will win. Yes, cooling will be better on two separate 7970s. I realize that, but performance wise at out of the box clocks, ARES wins unless of course you decide to use Toxic cards, as you mentioned above me.

You have to skew the numbers in favor for the Ares 2 ta win. Skew in such a monor as putting the Ares up against HD 7970 referance nom GHZ edition cards. The Ares is not special and does not offer more performancer it offers a bit less and par at best. 6GB Toxic 7970s in CF will crush a 3GB Ares 2 7970.

You have to skew the numbers in favor for the Ares 2 ta win. Skew in such a monor as putting the Ares up against HD 7970 referance nom GHZ edition cards. The Ares is not special and does not offer more performancer it offers a bit less and par at best. 6GB Toxic 7970s in CF will crush a 3GB Ares 2 7970.

In terms of performance, with the Toxic at default it's on par with the ARES. When switching to Lethal mode, Toxic wins. In CrossFire mode, mind you. Not single GPU mode for Toxic.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102997

In terms of performance, with the Toxic at default it's on par with the ARES. When switching to Lethal mode, Toxic wins. In CrossFire mode, mind you. Not single GPU mode for Toxic.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102997

This in CF will be faster and better than Ares 2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202005&Tpk=HD%207970%206GB&IsVirtualParent=1

Ares 2 is just a secondary option for people with only 1x PCI-E x16 lane and are to cheap to fork out for a proper CF motherboard.

This in CF will be faster and better than Ares 2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202005&Tpk=HD%207970%206GB&IsVirtualParent=1

Ares 2 is just a secondary option for people with only 1x PCI-E x16 lane and are to cheap to fork out for a proper CF motherboard.

It's CrossFire dude. That's it. It's a CrossFire bridge in the form of circuits.

It's CrossFire dude. That's it. It's a CrossFire bridge in the form of circuits.

sigh but it's no good to put 2 GPUs close together on one PCB because of heat and other architectural limitations. There's a reason why a reference design HD 7970 is so long.

Actually the advantage of dual gpus is quad sli/crossfire support using only 2 pcie slots

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

sigh but it's no good to put 2 GPUs close together on one PCB because of heat and other architectural limitations. There's a reason why a reference design HD 7970 is so long.

I do not see how it's faster as you claim, besides the Lethal boost. At default, they are the same. Yes, thermal disipation is better on a single card, but we are not talking about thermal performance. We're talking about FPS performance.

Actually the advantage of dual gpus is quad sli/crossfire support using only 2 pcie slots

Quad graphics is not worth is dual graphics are where it's at.

Quad graphics is not worth is dual graphics are where it's at.

I'm neutral on that topic.

very helpful and active forum I did not see like this reaction in any other technical forums.

I think I will buy another 7970 for my system 

Thanks guys  :D

very helpful and active forum I did not see like this reaction in any other technical forums.

I think I will buy another 7970 for my system 

Thanks guys  :D

Two single cards are always better than one dual GPU card in terms of performance and heat. The Ares is nothing special and real is more of a marketing stunt from Asus just so they could show people what they could do. The closed loop water cooler is a joke and cannot sufficiently cool the GPU so extra fans are need so whats the point LOL. Reference AMD HD 7990 is better than Ares and 2x HD 7970s in CF are better than any dual GPU card. Just make sure that your PSU and mother board properly supports CF. Remember your mobo has to have 2x PCI-E x16 lanes otherwise don't even bother.