2x 3 GB HD Radeon 7970 vs 6 GB HD Radeon 7970

Rakoooh

hi there 

Hey i have rather simple question, but I need more confirmation about my knowledge. I want upgrade my graphic card. Right now I have sapphire Radeon 3 GB hd 7970. So would a double sapphire radeon hd 7970 in crossfire equal one ARES2-6GD5 ? 

If they have the same performance or small difference, what are the advantage of have double Graphic card? will the single card use less power? 

well that's for now, I hope I get helpful information from you guys

THANKS ! :)

They would match it slightly but the ares is clocked alot higher 

The extra Vram is useless unless running 5760x1080P triple monitor resolutions. The Ares is an overpriced piece o crap imo get another 7970.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

The ares 2 is two hd 7970 ghz edition in crossfire, watercooled naturally : ) you wont be far off with two hd 7870s in crossfire, depending on your pcie lanes. As far as memory the ares 2 can only use 3gbs of memory so its not really 6gbs as such. The ares 2 will overclock very well also so its a bit hard to reach its performance without overclocking your cards fairly heavily : )

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

The ares 2 is two hd 7970 ghz edition in crossfire, watercooled

LOLL it's a hacked in all in one CPU water cooling loop. It's a sub par cooler that doesn't even have the power to cooler the VRM you need an additional tiny fan that sound s high pitched it hurts the ears LOL.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

LOLL it's a hacked in all in one CPU water cooling loop. It's a sub par cooler that doesn't even have the power to cooler the VRM you need an additional tiny fan that sound s high pitched it hurts the ears LOL.

dont laugh at my comments, i said its watercooled and it is. Yes its a dual gpu on one pcb im not stupid

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

There are only 1000 Ares IIs produced so it is very difficult to find one. It is collectors' item though and i would have it just for that reason. But in the real world - just get another 7970 :)

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it isn't my native language :)

dont laugh at my comments, i said its watercooled and it is.

No no I am not laughing at your comments I am loling about the hacked in sorry little low performance silly excuse for a liquid cooling loop that can't even cool the 7970x2 without the assistance of a tiny high rpm noise maker fan. So much for the silent metric that erroneously surrounds liquid cooling loops.

No no I am not laughing at your comments I am loling about the hacked in sorry little low performance silly excuse for a liquid cooling loop that can't even cool the 7970x2 without the assistance of a tiny high rpm noise maker fan. So much for the silent metric that erroneously surrounds liquid cooling loops.

ok thats fine then, all watercooling needs fans, i personally think its a cool piece of equipment but probably would get another 7970 instead of it

The ARES II is faster than two 7970 GHz edition cards in crossfire, but not by much & it only has 3GB per GPU of effective memory.

So essentially you will have the same sort of performance with a second 7970 Ghz edition.

exactly, im not sure if the watercooling will help overclocking? I have seen some huge benchmarks. I imagine theres no need to overclock it lol its a beast

ok thats fine then, all watercooling needs fans, i personally think its a cool piece of equipment but probably would get another 7970 instead of it

Might as well of just air cooled it I mean it nothing more than a look at me type I got water cooling stunt thing.

Watercooling definately gets better results than air cooling but i really dont want a debate lol : )

exactly, im not sure if the watercooling will help overclocking? I have seen some huge benchmarks. I imagine theres no need to overclock it lol its a beast

Well the liquid cooling will help keep the card running at reasonable sound levels once an overclock has been applied, other than that I don't think that it's necessary, especially after seeing how fast & quiet the reference 7990 is.

Well the liquid cooling will help keep the card running at reasonable sound levels once an overclock has been applied, other than that I don't think that it's necessary, especially after seeing how fast & quiet the reference 7990 is.

remember though its 2 ghz editions plus overclocking headroom. Hang on is 7990 two ghz editions too?

Yes, well sort of, two Tahiti cores each clocked at 1000mhz.

you make a fair point then, although if i was rich id buy it because it looks ace! : )

you make a fair point then, although if i was rich id buy it because it looks ace! : )

They are Tahiti XT2 cores in the Ares2 but if you can get some 7970 GHZ Edition XT2 cards in CF is will have better cooling and OCing potential.

They are Tahiti XT2 cores in the Ares2 but if you can get some 7970 GHZ Edition XT2 cards in CF is will have better cooling and OCing potential.

i might look into those myself, how would you rate 7970 crossfire?

i might look into those myself, how would you rate 7970 crossfire?

Not bad but I guess there is some issues people are talking about. I never had any issues with CF except massive boosts in performance in every game I was playing at the time. Aside from performance boost with CF you get image enhancement boosts with new AA options available.

Haters gonna hate!...

To answer you question there are 2 options...

The ARES2 is somewhat faster, but you will not notice this, it is also on one PCB making it more power efficient, but it is quiet expensive.

The 2x 7970 will be alot cheaper, but you will expect some problems due to CrossFire.

IMO if you are a AMD fanboy and have the money upgrade to the ARES.

Not bad but I guess there is some issues people are talking about. I never had any issues with CF except massive boosts in performance in every game I was playing at the time. Aside from performance boost with CF you get image enhancement boosts with new AA options available.

Inconsistent frames is the issue with Crossfire currently.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

cool thats good to know

Inconsistent frames is the issue with Crossfire currently.

Never had the problem.

Haters gonna hate!...

To answer you question there are 2 options...

The ARES2 is somewhat faster, but you will not notice this, it is also on one PCB making it more power efficient, but it is quiet expensive.

The 2x 7970 will be alot cheaper, but you will expect some problems due to CrossFire.

IMO if you are a AMD fanboy and have the money upgrade to the ARES.

great answer, only point i would make is that ares 2 is still in crossfire unless im mistaken