Liquid Cooling the Corsair Obsidian 250D

Hi Forum

I'm new to linus tech tips but have been watching and reading for months built 4 computers in the last 8 months and have settled on my build until 800 series that being said.

I have a Corsair Obsidian 250D with an Asus Maximus Impact MOBO (has a daughter board for power delivery) and an Asus GTX 780Ti reference design, now i currently have an H100i on my cpu and its very tight i had to take out a lot of screws and move brackets to get it to fit with my bequiet silent wings fans.

I want to build a custom loop and would like advice on the parts i have chosen i don't know much about pumps, pump speed, pump noise.

So i guess my question is what are my best options and here is the list of parts i have chosen;

this is the black ice stealth rad 240mm and 140mm  http://www.hwlabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=23  ,

EK WB full cover MOBO http://www.ekwb.com/uploads/images/FB-ASUS-M6I_NP_fulldetail_1200.jpg ,  

EK full VGA WB  http://www.ekwb.com/shop/media/upload/image/FC780-GTX-Ti-(Original-CSQ)_full_590_webshop.jpg  ,

EK single bay pump/res combo most likely single pump not dual like the pump http://www.ekwb.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/e/k/ek-bayres-dual-ddc-serial-1_800_1_1.jpg  , 

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for ready my post.

I dont think you would be able to keep the 5.25 inch bay. I can't even keep it with only a H100i like you.

My Computer (Yet to be named)

Processor: Intel i7 5930k @ 4.4 Cooler: Corsair H100i Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-SLI RAM: 16GB EVGA 2666Mhz 4x4 Graphics Card: PNY Geforce GTX 980 ti  Storage: 1x Intel 730 240GB / 2x Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB PSU: Corsair RM650 Case: NZXT S340 Monitor: Asus VG248QE Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013

I still have the 5.25 but it is tight. i have the tubes running toward the back of the case, theres a gap between the IO and the daughter board for the rad connections.

A custom loop in a 250D will be an even tighter fit :P. You could start by getting a mITX case that's a bit better for WC like the Bitfenix Prodigy (non-M) or a mATX like the Corsair 350D.

Hardware Labs makes great rads but you should know that those 30 fpi GTS rads will require pressure optimized fans spinning at high rpm for optimal performance. This will be loud. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Thanks for the info, I didnt even consider different fans, your right i would have to go pressure optimized and noise level is one of my concerns, i want to keep this little cube as quiet as possible. i do like your solution of using a larger but still small form factor case i will take that into consideration.

if i did decide to use a larger case would it be beneficial to change the mobo to a maximus gene series matx or anything in the matx form factor?

Thank you i appreciate all and any feedback 

Thanks for the info, I didnt even consider different fans, your right i would have to go pressure optimized and noise level is one of my concerns, i want to keep this little cube as quiet as possible. i do like your solution of using a larger but still small form factor case i will take that into consideration.

if i did decide to use a larger case would it be beneficial to change the mobo to a maximus gene series matx or anything in the matx form factor?

Thank you i appreciate all and any feedback 

Have you tried an external rad? Then you can have larger rads, and save some room inside for air ventilation.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

actual yeah i was thinking about it, i saw a few guys do it before and mount the rads to the wall to show them off, i dont think id need a huge rad but maybe i could design a box for the 250 to sit on that could house the rads and pump.

ill get back to you with a drawing.

actual yeah i was thinking about it, i saw a few guys do it before and mount the rads to the wall to show them off, i dont think id need a huge rad but maybe i could design a box for the 250 to sit on that could house the rads and pump.

ill get back to you with a drawing.

OK.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If you are going to have an external radiator, I feel like you should invest in some QDC. It would make things a lot easier to move around

• 2 weeks later...

So I have discovered a solution to my external rad situation (http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=2714).

This unit is a pump/rad/res with purchasable legs that screw on you can set this up vertically, horizontally (left <-> right air flow, or up and down air flow).

the only downside is it retails just over 370 CAD. and thats not including fittings water blocks or tubing.

is there a thread on what gtx 780 ti waterblocks are the best is there really a difference between EK, Swiftech, Heatkiller, XSPC.

any thoughts?

Yesterday i received my bitspower full cover MOBO waterblock with ice black acrylic top. should i stick with bitspower to match or get something else?

Not a whole lot of difference performance wise to be honest, but if overclocking then make sure to get one that cools the VRMs well. The Nvidia reference components are pretty mediocre at best.

Take a look at this build log for ideas: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/173442-build-log-corsair-250d-water-cooled-blue-lagoon/

just saw the 250D on maingear with a titan z installed. thats insane and perfect for a mini itx build considering we dont get to run sli ever unless its a dual gpu card. i took a look at the link you posted and i did some more research and found a few different styles of vga wb so i think i will go with bits powers block because it comes in black ice like my MOBO wb. i also found a few more single 5.25 bay drive pump/res combos from koolance they sound respectable ive seen good and bad reviews.

I will be starting the first part of my loop shortly as soon as i decide on a pump.  My brother is a plumber and found me some 3/8 inch water line (PEX and Copper) for fridges/coffee makers and other appliances . he also found some fittings i just hope there g 1/4 and 1/4 ntp threads.

I will keep everyone informed and thanks for following the post and all your comments i really appreciate all the positive feed back.