Mechanical Keyboard decision

nickbickerstaff

Hey everyone, so I am going to purchase a mechanical keyboard. I want blue switches. It has come down to either the Cooler Master CM Storm PRO Fire Rapid or Ducky DK9008 Shine II. What do guys think i should get considering the Ducky is about twice the price?

I dont know about the cm storm, but the ducky will last you a life time it is very durable. my mind set is, you get what you payed for. hope this helps. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Yeah i usually think the same thing. However Linus used the CM Storm PRO in his recent build log so it must be okay.

The cmstorm is obviously good and a better value at half the price, but if you want the very best keyboard, the ducky is the way to go, I had one(sent if back because of the MX blues being too loud) and it felt freaking amazing, best keyboard I have ever typed on.

It's your choice, but with both keyboards you will get very good performance for the price ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Hey everyone, so I am going to purchase a mechanical keyboard. I want blue switches. It has come down to either the Cooler Master CM Storm PRO Fire Rapid or Ducky DK9008 Shine II. What do guys think i should get considering the Ducky is about twice the price?

Why limit yourself to those two?

Great choices but the price difference is HUGE. Ducky is the best choice if money doesn't bother you. The CM storm quickfire is for low budgets but this doesn't mean that it is a bad keybaord, it actually is really great.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

Would go with the CM Storm one - similar build quality to the Ducky, but for that price - you really can't go wrong with it. Great board.

If you want a tenkeyless form factor and save money then go for the quickfire rapid~

If you got cash to spend and want a keyboard you can probably knock out a burglar with go for the Ducky Shine 2 :P

The reason i chose these two is because i want a full sized keyboard and am not bothered about macros.

Then you have made a minor mistake i'm afraid, the Coolermaster keyboard you tried to name was the Quickfire Pro, not the Quickfire rapid or the <CM Storm Pro Fire Rapid> lol

Do you like full backlighting though? The quickfire pro only has a few sections of it backlit which imo look pretty bad :P

It's still a great keyboard for it's price regardless

Yeah i do prefer it, and i never knew that so thanks! so like zones are lit up instead of each key?

Here you go...  http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=13430  It's the UK version too.  Not sure if they ship to UK though but this is the best I could find.  I have this board but purple backlit, it's the sex.  Like the sounds of angels copulating.

Also, this site is owned by the same company but I didn't take the search for UK type boards very far.  I searched full-sze, Blue MX & backlit...  http://www.mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?switch_id=3&size=Full+Size&keyword=&backlit=on&in_stock=on

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

Yeah i do prefer it, and i never knew that so thanks! so like zones are lit up instead of each key?

FqpQT.jpg

That's all the backlight on the quickfire pro :) Not too pretty eh XD

Thanks ARod for finding that website for me! I think i have pretty much decided on the Ducky Shine 2 DK9008 now. 

Lukiose are you sure there aren't different modes to light the whole thing up? Seems odd. 

what about cm storm tk?

i5 3470 | MSI B75MA P45 | 8GB Value Ram | Plextor M5S 128GB | Sapphire 7850 | WD Blue 1TB | SF 600W Gold | CM Storm Scout II

nickbickerstaff, on 18 May 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Lukiose are you sure there aren't different modes to light the whole thing up? Seems odd.

Here are the lighting modes: There is no mode that lights the whole keyboard up.

Saz6SUn.png

Source:http://www.coolermaster.com/cmstorm_files/Quick_Fire_Pro_Manual.pdf

I would get the Ducky Shine 2 because it has a better backlighting and build quality than the Quickfire Pro. If you don't want to spend too much on the Ducky Shine 2, I would suggest you to get the CM Storm Trigger.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I've owned plenty of mechanical boards, even a Topre and the ducky's quality is fantastic.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

right thanks for

Here are the lighting modes: There is no mode that lights the whole keyboard up.
Saz6SUn.png
Source:http://www.coolermaster.com/cmstorm_files/Quick_Fire_Pro_Manual.pdf

I would get the Ducky Shine 2 because it has a better backlighting and build quality than the Quickfire Pro. If you don't want to spend too much on the Ducky Shine 2, I would suggest you to get the CM Storm Trigger.

thanks for the diagrams dude, going to go for the ducky shine 2

You won't regret it.  Love their MX Blue and MX Browns.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps