SLI users tell me...

I've heard recommendation after recommendation to avoid SLI. I get that multi-GPU has frame time issues (less so on AMD now than it used to be) and less stability and bugs.

However I would like to hear from actual SLI users who have gamed on that setup for months or years. What is it actually like? Is it a nightmare to upkeep? Are the criticisms overdone? Or does it run like a dream?

Because this is ~10 year old technology and I would think by now NVIDIA, AMD, game devs, and Microsoft (DirectX) would have figured it out.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

90% of those problems have been fixed, I had SLI for over a year and never had an issue with it.

People assume that SOME people have problems, that every SLI setup has issues, most of it is user error, or using beta drivers (Stay AWAY from beta drivers)

@MegaDave91 has also had SLI for a long time, and he hasn't had any issues that I know of either.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Are the criticisms overdone?

Yes.

The drivers are mature, 98% of the issues have been ironed out, 1% of the time the problems don't even matter, the other 1% is there because I don't like making absolute statements.

I've used crossfire myself for about 3 years and haven't had a single issue to date

tl;dr Most of the people that hate SLI are either too retarded to use a PC or never used it themselves.

My PC may not have any SLI action, but I build my friend's PC and tested it out and it was pretty simple to get going and the performance was pretty good (EVGA GTX 770's, 2GB). It seemed like some of the older games that he plays (GTA: San Andreas being one) didn't really like SLI.

i watch almost every game review from TB, and there are very few games he equally has problems with his SLI setup

In reference to these, and I cannot say it clearly enough, note that games that don't have/can't use/don't work with/can barely run/are too buggy with SLI at this point in time don't need SLI.

Error: 410

My PC may not have any SLI action, but I build my friend's PC and tested it out and it was pretty simple to get going and the performance was pretty good (EVGA GTX 770's, 2GB). It seemed like some of the older games that he plays (GTA: San Andreas being one) didn't really like SLI.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i watch almost every game review from TB, and there are very few games he equally has problems with his SLI setup

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

q

I love seeing people that have never had dual GPU's say that it's plagued with issues. lul

also, hi

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I have run two 560 ti's for about 2 years now and haven't had any problems software wise at all. All of my games run great (for a 560 setup that is) I can usually run with max settings on most games, however, on a few I do have to make some concessions. The only real problems I have running SLI is with heat and noise. My room with the computer turns into a sauna during the warmer months and the fans on the cards do make a bit of noise.

Overall, SLI really isn't worth it to me for the aforementioned reasons. I'm looking to move to a newer single card solution soon - maybe one of those 290's I keep seeing on EBAY for $200 now!

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

I'm very happy to hear all this. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

I have run two 560 ti's for about 2 years now and haven't had any problems software wise at all. All of my games run great (for a 560 setup that is) I can usually run with max settings on most games, however, on a few I do have to make some concessions. The only real problems I have running SLI is with heat and noise. My room with the computer turns into a sauna during the warmer months and the fans on the cards do make a bit of noise.

Overall, SLI really isn't worth it to me for the aforementioned reasons. I'm looking to move to a newer single card solution soon - maybe one of those 290's I keep seeing on EBAY for $200 now!

part of the reason I sold one of my 780's+ the waterblock, it turned my room into a dam sauna, it was SO bad.

I literally had to leave my AC on 24/7 even during the winter if I wanted to play games lol

I have used GTX 680 SLI for about 11 months. Overclockability went down to 0. [stable with +150mhz core / +500mhz memory on each card as a single unit to crash at +30mhz if SLI was enabled].

Many games don't take advantage of it. Or work worse and have microstutter.

I am now using a single 290x and I'd not go for dual GPUs again. So personally I can tell you to rather buy a more powerful gpu than two =P

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I have SLI 760s and they work flawlessly. The only hiccup I ever get is that I have to re-enable it after a driver update. That's it. Games work great, there's never any weird tearing or stuttering or anything like that.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I have used GTX 680 SLI for about 11 months. Overclockability went down to 0. [stable with +150mhz core / +500mhz memory on each card as a single unit to crash at +30mhz if SLI was enabled].

Many games don't take advantage of it. Or work worse and have microstutter.

I am now using a single 290x and I'd not go for dual GPUs again. So personally I can tell you to rather buy a more powerful gpu than two =P

By many games, I'm sure you mean indie titles that aren't very demanding and can basically run on integrated graphics?

The only time I've come across SLI being an issue was in a newer Diablo 3 patch, and that was fixed a week later in a hotfix.

Am using 670 SLI and it's working great for me! Again the only games I'm playing is Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Hardline BETA(when it was on), Planetside 2 & from time to time some Age of Empires II HD(I don't think it got an SLI profile no?).
It works great for me and I haven't had a real issue. Of course there might be some games that it doesn't play well with but they'd have to be in the minority and other games doesn't even have SLI-support so that doesn't matter.

By many games, I'm sure you mean indie titles that aren't very demanding and can basically run on integrated graphics?

The only time I've come across SLI being an issue was in a newer Diablo 3 patch, and that was fixed a week later in a hotfix.

Far Cry 3 had microstutter so bad, it was basically unplayable

Skyrim, especially modded did no appreciate having both cards enabled either

Sleeping Dogs stuttered quite bad aswell.

As an example of main stream games. There's plenty more ^^'

I ended up having one card disabled all the time. As it was much less of a hassle.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Far Cry 3 had microstutter so bad, it was basically unplayable

Skyrim, especially modded did no appreciate having both cards enabled either

Sleeping Dogs stuttered quite bad aswell.

As an example of main stream games. There's plenty more ^^'

Skyrim had to have been fixed because mine is heavily modded and I have zero issues.

I'm assuming you're using past-tense in the context of the SLI issue being fixed? Lol.

I think that while most issues are ironed out as stated, bear in mind that new games might initially have SLI related issues and since it's less common those don't get fixed at launch or take a bit. You'll eventually be find but you might have to be patient.

If you keep that in mind then it makes sense (not only for price to performance and power consumption but software support as well) to always go for a single graphics solution unless you really can't achieve what you want with just 1 card (i.e. not enough performance on even the top tier cards or a very compelling reasons like finding a great deal on a lower end card)

-------

Current Rig

-------

I've had SLI for about a year now and I have had almost no SLI related problems. Game compatibility can be a problem on new games but chances are they will get fixed or updated to support SLI pretty quickly. The main things to look out for when running cards in SLI are Power consumption and heat.

The only thing that isn't good about sli is the price/performance ratio. 

This isn't exactly true. SLI 760s are stronger than a 780 and SLI 770s are stronger than a 780 Ti and they both cost about the same. With that said though it would be wiser to get a 780/780 Ti because of faster/more vram. SLI is good when you already have a card and want the cheapest way to gain massive performance.

SLi has come a long way in recent years and is no longer plagued with problems. The only thing you may run into is the lack of SLI support in a particular game. All the frame timing/stuttering/latency is negligible....you won't notice it.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

This isn't exactly true. SLI 760s are stronger than a 780 and SLI 770s are stronger than a 780 Ti and they both cost about the same. With that said though it would be wiser to get a 780/780 Ti because of faster/more vram. SLI is good when you already have a card and want the cheapest way to gain massive performance.

well the 780s get more vram, so you can drive more monitors.

U so fancy n sophisticated with yall 770's n 780's

BUT CAN U DO DIS

OCTO SLI

32060-octo-sli.jpg

spoiler : it doesn't work

well the 780s get more vram, so you can drive more monitors.

Indeed. Sli 760s can run multi monitors fine but I agree with what your saying. More/Faster vram is better for more pixels.

I ran SLI 780 for a very short while and because I have an matx case/mobo, the top gpu was not getting enough air and was heating up very fast and would throttle. You really need the reference cooler if you are running SLI with matx.