How to setup AdBock to allow ads for the sake of Linus Media Group

Hey,

So at the moment ads don't run on LinusTechTips.com but theres a good chance that a few subtle ads will be running in the future and so you may as well start allowing the ads before they come ;)
Also This guide will cover allowing ads for the LinusTechTips youtube. As it is impossible to block ads on just videos that are by linus we will be blocking ads running on his channel pages.

This guide assums you are running Chrome and you are running the most succesfull and popular ad-blocking extension "AdBlock" (this one here)

Alright, So there are two methods of doing this and I'm going to cover both.

Method 1
This method is a little bit longer but it will also allow you to see how to use the extension for blocking other webpages. And its probably more recomended for people who may be a little bit more noobish.

1. After installing AdBlock you should see this symbol on linustechtips.com in the top right of your Chrome browser:
QIuTGwI.png
What we need to do is change it to this:
bQmGL32.png

2. Navigate to the linustechtips.com home page then click on the extension revealing the menu:
G0XgWpX.png

3. Click "Don't run on pages on this domain"

4. You will now see this box pop up:
yCYzvmg.png

Make sure the slider is all the way to the left then click "Exclude"

Congratulations, You have now enabled ads on this forum. Now for Linus on YouTube.

5. Lets say 'XLink' is:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips

6. Goto 'XLink' and click the adblock icon and again click "Don't run on pages on this domain"

7. This time make sure the "Site" slider is all the way to the left and the "Page" Slider is all the way to the right as shown here:
YgHHhSu.png

And Click Exclude.

8. Now we need to also allow ads on the same URL but without the 'user/' as we often will be linked to youtube channels using this type of URL.

eg. If the channel we were originally at was:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips 

now navigate to:

https://www.youtube.com/LinusTechTips

and perform steps 6 and 7 again:

WkOLIte.png

9. Now we shall block ads on the TechQuickie channel so lets say 'XLink' is now:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Techquickie 

Now perform steps 6,7,8 again. with this new URL as the "XLink"

10. Now its time to block ads on LinusCatTips, so lets say 'Xlink' is now

https://www.youtube.com/user/LinusCatTips 

Now perform steps 6,7,8 again. with this new URL as the "XLink"

Congratulations you are now done :)

Method 2

1. On any page click on the AdBlock extension at the top right of Chrome:
QIuTGwI.png

2. Click on options

3. Navigate to the "Customise" Tab
mo55wOM.png

4. Down where it says "Manually edit your Filters" Click Edit to its right:
citbfz5.png

5. Copy and paste this into the Box:

@@||linustechtips.com/$document@@||www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips$document@@||www.youtube.com/LinusTechTips$document@@||www.youtube.com/user/LinusCatTips$document@@||www.youtube.com/LinusCatTips$document@@||www.youtube.com/user/Techquickie$document@@||www.youtube.com/Techquickie$document

It should now look a little something like this:
BSxS1S1.png

6. Now simply click save and your now finished :) You can exit the tab now.

I hope this was helpful if you were a bit unsure of how to enable ads. Also, I hope it raises some awareness of the fact that you should consider enabling ads to support the forum.

:)

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

Good guide, although i myself just don't install adblock.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

It works, thank you! :)

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

LOL what about NCIXcom channel?

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

I've been using adblock plus for firefox for about a year now :) it's awesome, it also gets rid of the video ads at the beginning of youtube videos...

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Disabling ads can lead to depresion, you won't known about any new stuff comming that might not wanna miss.

in just 1 case tough i would defiantly use adblock and thats when keep seeing anoying girl commercials all the time on same site.

Disabling ads really helps me not to go insane! Really! Anyway, Linus and The Tek are the exceptions.

Sorry for my English....

LOL what about NCIXcom channel?

I'm assuming that Linus Media Group takes no revenue from that channels monetisation and instead probably just gets paid directly each time they make a video for them.

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

I've spent about 20 minutes unblocking every channel in my subscription box that I think deserves my ad revenue.

I just don't like having to watch a 30 second commercial to find out I had no interest in the video to start with. But certain channels deserve an exception from adblock.
thank you for the how-to thread.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

I had to install AdBlock because I started getting ads with annoying sounds, but I have it disabled in some channels (Linus' and others from Youtubers that I like).

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

sorry linus. I'm still going to run adblock :P It's ok though. i like every video and have gotten 5 friends of mine to watch you and i dont think they run adblock. They probably got more of their friends to watch. This is the only way i can make myself feel better for blocking ads on linus hahahah

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

it doesn't always work.

this is the adress bar when i click the video through subscriptions:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w6U0qMbPcs"

it won't work because it doesn't have /users/LinusTechTips 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

it doesn't always work.

this is the adress bar when i click the video through subscriptions:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w6U0qMbPcs"

it won't work because it doesn't have /users/LinusTechTips 

Yeh I mentioned in the original post that it is impossible to allow ads just for videos of a single user. I spent allot of time digging around in dev forums and couldn't find a way to do it. Although it isn't possible to do that, I thought since ads still run on channel pages, we can at least allow them on there which is better than nothing :/

Unless you want to allow ads on every YouTube video, this is the best we can do atm

Yeh I mentioned in the original post that it is impossible to allow ads just for videos of a single user. I spent allot of time digging around in dev forums and couldn't find a way to do it. Although it isn't possible to do that, I thought since ads still run on channel pages, we can at least allow them on there which is better than nothing :/

Unless you want to allow ads on every YouTube video, this is the best we can do atm

You should make a plugin to do this :) from what i read around it is indeed quite easy, ABP just doesn't wanna do it.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

You should make a plugin to do this :) from what i read around it is indeed quite easy, ABP just doesn't wanna do it.

That does sound like a good idea, but I don't have the knowlege or time atm :(

Maybe someone will see this and give it a shot ;)

That does sound like a good idea, but I don't have the knowlege or time atm :(

Maybe someone will see this and give it a shot ;)

I'll make a thread in the programming section. See if anybody is up to the task ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just turn adblock off all together and actually support the content creators that you are watching for free.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

i made exceptions for the this site but until there is an extension for a specific youtuber i wont bother with it, the internet is insufferable without a few adblock like extensions such as ghostery, disconnect, https everywhere and the like. 

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

i made exceptions for the this site but until there is an extension for a specific youtuber i wont bother with it, the internet is insufferable without a few adblock like extensions such as ghostery, disconnect, https everywhere and the like. 

Wow thanks for mentioning those, Just installed all 3 :P

Wow thanks for mentioning those, Just installed all 3 :P

if you want one for youtube get magic actions, makes it sooo much better

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

if you want one for youtube get magic actions, makes it sooo much better

Wow its awesome!   <3

My google Chrome ADBLOCK is a lot different from yours... I don't get any sliders nor do I get the save options and stuff....  :wacko:

So many things I could write here... things like this.

This method doesn't work when going from subscriptions, but over in the programming subforum, there is a thread where there is a replacement adblock addon in development (there's no way to just turn on or off your existing adblock).

HTTP/2 203

man you are awsome!

i knew that i hurt his job by having adblock and i didnt knew how to remove it!

now i can support linus and the group!