What happens if you only have negative air pressure?

Internet Swag

I know if you only have intake it becomes a hot box, but could enough fans pull out hot air fast enough? 

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

I know if you only have intake it becomes a hot box, but could enough fans pull out hot air fast enough? 

Umm... I don't think it becomes a hot box...

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

This would cause air to be sucked in every crack and crevice the case has. That would cause dust to accumulate fairly quickly as it would be bypassing the dust filters, defeating their purpose. 

This is why I always go with a balance leaning slightly towards positive air pressure. 

I don't know what you are talking about with positive air pressure and a "hot box".

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This would cause air to be sucked in every crack and crevice the case has. That would cause dust to accumulate fairly quickly as it would be bypassing the dust filters, defeating their purpose. 

This is why I always go with a balance leaning slightly towards positive air pressure. 

I don't know what you are talking about with positive air pressure and a "hot box".

I was told that if you have no exhaust and only intake fans the cold air is trapped inside and heats up... hotbox? 

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

You dont get fresh air. You need more negative than positive airflow. Dust free. And use dust filters. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

I was told that if you have no exhaust and only intake fans the cold air is trapped inside and heats up... hotbox?

Only if there is no way out. Which would be dumb. As long as there are vents that aren't either, you are fine.

You dont get fresh air. You need more negative than positive airflow. Dust free. And use dust filters.

Negative > Positive generally = dust.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

When you have all intake, excess air escapes through openings. When you have all exhaust, excess air is pulled in from the openings instead. Cases are not airtight. Case fans don't really create much pressure inside of the case so it's better to call it positive or negative airflow.

Every case has exhaust. You don't need an exhaust fan to have openings for air to escape through.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Positive is about the same temps as negative. But positive is less dusty if you filter in takes.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

It's best to have a balance between intake and exhaust, slightly leaning towards more intake. Full neg means lots of dust, full pos means stagnant airpockets. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie.