New computer mic on headphones wont work

cubsbb

I bought a new computer and everything works on it. Except for the mic on the headphones, I know that the headphones work because I use them all the time on my phone. I have installed the motherboard disk, plug it into many different slots in the back and it just wont work. On the back there is a green 3.5 mm headphone jack and when I plug it in to that sound will come out, but then when I go to the recording devices the recording hole is pink. So when I plug it into the pink headphone jack nothing happens. I can't hear anything and and try talking to people on Skype with it and it just isn't working. Please can someone help me. I already installed an updated drivers.

sounds like its the mic. if you can just return it and get another or a new pair.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

See if you can go to your recording option and see if the mic is detected or not

Can you please state what headset you're using?

MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0   CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.5GHz - Corsair H80i   RAM - 2x Corsair Vengence 4GB DDR3 @ 1666 MHz   

GPU - SAPPHIRE 100362-3L Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC  Sound - ASUS Xonar DSX  PSU - Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W

Can you please state what headset you're using?

i am using the skull candy cassettes there not really gaming headphone but they do work on my other computer. The mic on the headphone is not the issue 

See if you can go to your recording option and see if the mic is detected or not

How do I check that?

I also have used apple headphone and the mic still doesn't work. (only on the pc)

How do I check that?

Go to star>hardware and sound> manage audio devices click the recording tab. Make some sort of noise and see if the Microphone levels move. If it doesnt move then right click it go to properties level tab and check if the microphone levels are at 100 percent. 

Go to star>hardware and sound> manage audio devices click the recording tab. Make some sort of noise and see if the Microphone levels move. If it doesnt move then right click it go to properties level tab and check if the microphone levels are at 100 percent. 

Yeah, I have done that and still there is not sound.

The problem is that your pc more than likely requires 2 3.5mm jacks: 

1 for Line Out 

1 for Mic In

So you would not be able to use your current headphone mic without the use of a third-party adapter... if any still exist.
MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0   CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.5GHz - Corsair H80i   RAM - 2x Corsair Vengence 4GB DDR3 @ 1666 MHz   

GPU - SAPPHIRE 100362-3L Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC  Sound - ASUS Xonar DSX  PSU - Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W

As above - does your headset only have one plug on the end of the cord? If so, you'll need an adapter to split that into "headphone" and "mic" plugs.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD