Roommate for the first time?

Trail Mixorz

I'm going to college for my first semester and I'm going to dorm with a roommate, and I have one picked out already through the college's facebook page.

Anything I need to know about having a roommate? What (not) to do?

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

Set ground rules

This

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Make sure they understand (and you understand) what you expect, and what they expect.

If you both understand what each other wants in a roommate, you can make it a better stay.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

I'm going to college for my first semester and I'm going to dorm with a roommate, and I have one picked out already through the college's facebook page.

Not to let them touch your PC?? I dunno

LOL you handpicked your roommate...better be worth it then

I'm gonna go with the "pot calling the kettle black" approach and recommend thinking about things you do/say, etc that could be annoying or in bad taste. Do you like to stay up late? Do you prefer your music loud? Are you pretty bad at cleaning your room? Do you prefer noisy keyboards? :P and so on.

Then try to work on those and bring them up early. Get to know each other's habits so you don't run into arguments on them later on.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Be easy going....

It makes life so so sooooo much easier if you're both easy going as being a pain in the ass will cause trouble for everyone. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Do not:

• Have sexual/emotional relationships with them. It will become awkward in the event that you two may not work out.
  • use their belongings without their permission, and be sure to do the same inverted. (no shit sherlock :P)

Do:

• Practice basic manners (no shit sherlock :P). Be kind, polite and don't become angry with them unless you have your reasons.
  • Be open to conversations. Do not just keep yourself bottled up in the event that you do not like them.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Try to bring some stuff to the table. 

You bring a fridge, he brings the microwave. 

Communicate so you don't have two refrigerators and no microwave.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

#1 rule of anything: Don't use their stuff without prior permission...

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Tell them your things are off limits. If they break a rule, you break them.

Expect the same from them if you break their rules.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I never had a personal issue with my roommates, but then I am easy to deal with, a saint among men.  One roommate got a bit annoying in a dorm because he always bitched about everything, quite emo, but I still got along with him.

My first roommate loved to drink wildly, he was pledging to some frat and one time he came back to the room so piss drunk he collapsed on his bed.  He later got up in the middle of the night and peed on his chair, had no idea it happened.  When he woke in the morning, he asked where that came from, and I told him, and he was embarrassed.  Another time he came back so piss drunk he later woke up in the middle of the night and got in my bed.  And here I was so honorable, even though I'm gay, I did not cop any feels (he was decent looking).  See how great a roommate I Was?

Hope and pray you get someone like me, we are easy to deal with, don't bother people, and are bothered by little.  No need to walk on egg shells around us.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I'm gonna go with the "pot calling the kettle black" approach and recommend thinking about things you do/say, etc that could be annoying or in bad taste. Do you like to stay up late? Do you prefer your music loud? Are you pretty bad at cleaning your room? Do you prefer noisy keyboards? :P and so on.

Then try to work on those and bring them up early. Get to know each other's habits so you don't run into arguments on them later on.

This is very important great advise!

If it is a male roommate, buy a pick axe handle, engrave the name Johnson on it and color it red then take a picture of it and let him know that if he does anything you don't approve of he will meet Johnson and then show him the picture of Johnson.

if it is a girl buy lots of condoms because having a child when you are studying or without money will age you significantly.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.