If I upgrade my gpu will my cpu hold me back?

Go to solution Solved by funkmetal,

There is no way a 8120 will bottleneck a 750ti at that resolution. You'll be fine.

I have had the same system for two years now. So I was wondering if my fx-8120 would be holding my pc performance back a notch? 

Thanks for reading.

slightly

try to get the FX8320 or FX8350

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to a 8350 like dragoon20005 said, but personally I'd just stick with what you have unless you're talking about upgrading to completely top-notch GPUs.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to a 8350 like dragoon20005 said, but personally I'd just stick with what you have unless you're talking about upgrading to completely top-notch GPUs.

I am thinking of an 750 TI as my next video card, since my old 7790 does not meet the performance expectations that I had for 1360x768.

^^

I think you will be fine with that CPU/GPU combo.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

I am thinking of an 750 TI as my next video card, since my old 7790 does not meet the performance expectations that I had for 1360x768.

ah i see 

in that case the current CPU is still ok

the FX8320 or FX8350 upgrade only applies when you are going for GTX770/GTX780/280X/290

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

There is no way a 8120 will bottleneck a 750ti at that resolution. You'll be fine.

Alright I needed to hear that cause I spent nearly 120 on that 7790 and it runs like garbage in this pc. I am still trying to figure out why games like dayz and arma run like utter shit on my pc. Would upgrading the gpu also help in those games?

Alright I needed to hear that cause I spent nearly 120 on that 7790 and it runs like garbage in this pc. I am still trying to figure out why games like dayz and arma run like utter shit on my pc. Would upgrading the gpu also help in those games?

DayZ and Arma are bad games to begin with and they depend on CPU more than GPU

To be fair, those are somewhat demanding games. I get only about 30-40 for on max at 1080p with a 4930k and sli 780ti classifieds in Arma

To be fair, those are somewhat demanding games. I get only about 30-40 for on max at 1080p with a 4930k and sli 780ti classifieds in Arma

From what I've heard they are mainly cpu dependent games to perform well.

i would highly suggest you look for an R7 265 or better the R9 270, as both of these GPU's completely outperform the GTX 750ti in every way possible and cost about the same..

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR