Nvidia Hairworks – New Video Shows Off Fur & Hair, Includes Animals From The Witcher 3

TwistedDictator
Go to solution Solved by TwistedDictator,

Yes, this has been confirmed prior.

Are you insane? Do you know how little code 6000 lines of code is? That's a day or two worth of work to go through.

And no, GameWorks does not "run malicious code on AMD machines", that would be both illegal and benefit none.

TressFX is not even the same thing as GameWorks, and it's playing in an entirely different league.

Also, for the record, Nvidia is working on bringing GameWorks features to consoles; Do you know what GPUs are inside those...? That's right, those are made my AMD! That means that Nvidia themselves will be optimizing and working together with AMD to make things work over time.

Certainly, GameWorks performs better on Nvidia now, and probably always will because of hardware optimizations, but that doesn't mean that AMD can't optimize for it.

I dont normally comment on stupid things as I usually tend to ignore them but this is so stupid, I had to.

AMD and NV working together? You must be trolling. TressFX and gamerworks are totally different thing? There are some functions that game works has such as hairworks which is similar the tressFX. "Nvidia is working on bringing GameWorks features to consoles" - I dont know even I should carry this on... Gameworks is not a API like Mantel, do some research. Gameworks can work with any card, it depends on the optimization on the competitors, and if they allow it (allowing the devs to optimize the game, e.g. they didnt with Watch_Dog). I dont want to carry this on, I just dont like non-sense at times, or maybe I'm not in a happy mood today.

AMD is bringing Openworks :)

EDIT : I just seen your second post, it seems you do know a tiny bit. You bring that link up but how much of is it true? How well did watch dog perform? How has watch dog ended? What NV really did was try to blame the devs saying that it was poorly optimized because its up to the dev that are ment to do it, but in reality NV didnt let them (really really short summary). It super obvious they are going to pay devs to use gameworks, it be stupid if they removed it for the consoles(a lot of stuff some into play such as time and money, cant be arsed to explain).

Here's hoping Witcher 3 isn't a game works disaster like watchdogs.

They now how to properly scale their game up and down: The witcher 2 was damn impressive but could also be made to run on damn old hardware while still having a good experience. I fully expect to see a checkbox for this stupid thing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

They now how to properly scale their game up and down: The witcher 2 was damn impressive but could also be made to run on damn old hardware while still having a good experience. I fully expect to see a checkbox for this stupid thing.

CD project RED are a amazing team.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

I dont normally comment on stupid things as I usually tend to ignore them but this is so stupid, I had to.

AMD and NV working together? You must be trolling. TressFX and gamerworks are totally different thing? There are some functions that game works has such as hairworks which is similar the tressFX. "Nvidia is working on bringing GameWorks features to consoles" - I dont know even I should carry this on... Gameworks is not a API like Mantel, do some research. Gameworks can work with any card, it depends on the optimization on the competitors, and if they allow it (allowing the devs to optimize the game, e.g. they didnt with Watch_Dog). I dont want to carry this on, I just dont like non-sense at times, or maybe I'm not in a happy mood today.

AMD is bringing Openworks :)

Oh please... Fine, I used the term "working together" loosely, people without any rationale would think I meant they were best buddies... sigh.

Yes, GameWorks and TressFX are different things—GameWorks, which was the thing referred to in the message I'm quoted in replying to, is the complete library for physics and misc. rendering tools maintained and released by Nvidia for developers like me to make use of. TressFX mainly handles hair, fur and grass rendering. In other words, TressFX is similar to HairWorks, but not GameWorks, so I have no idea what you are trying to point out with that statement.

Yes, GameWorks could work on just about any system, I'm well aware of this. What I was implying wasn't that it wasn't working; but that they are working on optimizing it to work better on those platforms than it would do in its current state. I guess I'm party at fault here for not saying that explicitly, but I was thinking that that was pretty much implied, considering GameWorks software has been running on other platforms than Nvidia anyway.

I work with these libraries on a daily basis – do you?

Oh well, I'll have to stop before I digress.

Don't be so stuck up, and have a nice day.

Cheers,

Linus

Oh please... Fine, I used the term "working together" loosely, people without any rationale would think I meant they were best buddies... sigh.

Yes, GameWorks and TressFX are different things—GameWorks, which was the thing referred to in the message I'm quoted in replying to, is the complete library for physics and misc. rendering tools maintained and released by Nvidia for developers like me to make use of. TressFX mainly handles hair, fur and grass rendering. In other words, TressFX is similar to HairWorks, but not GameWorks, so I have no idea what you are trying to point out with that statement.

Yes, GameWorks could work on just about any system, I'm well aware of this. What I was implying wasn't that it wasn't working; but that they are working on optimizing it to work better on those platforms than it would do in its current state. I guess I'm party at fault here for not saying that explicitly, but I was thinking that that was pretty much implied, considering GameWorks software has been running on other platforms than Nvidia anyway.

Ooo dude, what ones you got, ive only been able to have Hairworks soo far!?

Ooo dude, what ones you got, ive only been able to have Hairworks soo far!?

We got to trial GI a bit; that stuff was amazing, hope we can get full access to that at some point... Right now we've only got access to turbulence. It's fun to play around with, but we can't seem to find any real use for it yet :P

Cheers,

Linus

We got to trial GI a bit; that stuff was amazing, hope we can get full access to that at some point... Right now we've only got access to turbulence. It's fun to play around with, but we can't seem to find any real use for it yet :P

nice, still waiting for Unreal 4 to have GI, think i got turbulance, doesnt it come with Apex? 

nice, still waiting for Unreal 4 to have GI, think i got turbulance, doesnt it come with Apex? 

Yeah, I believe it does. It's one of the oldest ones, so I think its more or less open to anyone at this point.

Cheers,

Linus

I think what I said was a bit too harsh for no reason. I wasnt in the mood at that time lol Well I seem like a A-hole but I'm not, we can be like true men and not argue about silly things, we are a community!

You are using Gameworks? How is it? I'm currently just using playing around UE4. Have not stuck on to any particular engine but soon going to try out CryEngine.

I could use GameWorks but I'm not that fluent with UE4 yet. I'm currently learning over the internet and at the same time studying computer science. If you ever make a game, let me be a alpha tester ;)

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

"I dont normally comment on stupid things as I usually tend to ignore them but this is so stupid, I had to."  Wow such arrogance... makes me want to puke in my own mouth...

"AMD and NV working together? You must be trolling."   You don't understand the point he was making... Don't be such a AMD cheer leading FANGIRL :-)

"TressFX and gamerworks are totally different thing? There are some functions that game works has such as hairworks which is similar the tressFX".   Yes they are Totally Different in a lot of ways.  Use that google like everybody else does these days.  Besides Nvidia has been messing with hair way way longer then AMD even thought of it.  Alice in madness is a perfect example... 

" I dont know even I should carry this on... Gameworks is not a API like Mantel, do some research. Gameworks can work with any card, it depends on the optimization on the competitors, and if they allow it (allowing the devs to optimize the game, e.g. they didnt with Watch_Dog). I dont want to carry this on, I just dont like non-sense at times, or maybe I'm not in a happy mood today."  You tell him to do research...  Why don't you!?!? http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/17/nvidia-gameworks-2014/

"AMD is bringing Openworks :)"  Yeah so Open that's why it took forever for Tomb raider to semi work on Nvidia cards when turning on the fancy hair... and it still to this day runs like crap.  

"EDIT : I just seen your second post, it seems you do know a tiny bit. You bring that link up but how much of is it true? How well did watch dog perform? How has watch dog ended? What NV really did was try to blame the devs saying that it was poorly optimized because its up to the dev that are ment to do it, but in reality NV didnt let them (really really short summary). It super obvious they are going to pay devs to use gameworks, it be stupid if they removed it for the consoles(a lot of stuff some into play such as time and money, cant be arsed to explain)."   Why should he bother you seem like a AMD only fan service cheerleader... The CANCER of the PC gaming community.  

I think what I said was a bit too harsh for no reason. I wasnt in the mood at that time lol Well I seem like a A-hole but I'm not, we can be like true men and not argue about silly things, we are a community!

You are using Gameworks? How is it? I'm currently just using playing around UE4. Have not stuck on to any particular engine but soon going to try out CryEngine.

I could use GameWorks but I'm not that fluent with UE4 yet. I'm currently learning over the internet and at the same time studying computer science. If you ever make a game, let me be a alpha tester ;)

I think game works is good so far i have only used apex clothing and destruction, and still getting my head around hair works, and nice to see someone using/playing with UE4, and i would get going with Cry......seems they might not be round for a lot longer if no one buys them out! its a shame Red Engine is not open like Cry and UE4, i really wouldnt mind playing with that!