System instability after setting up watercooling

Go to solution Solved by LeChef,

having reinstalled windows and all the drivers the issue seems to have gone :)

Hi guys,

I've just setup my watercooling in my rig and for some weird reason windows keeps blue screening. Various different reasons were given at the BSOD.

I'm reinstalling windows to see if that will help but I could do with a little help here (A)

Cheers,

Rik

Welp

over clocked? specs? quote me if you want help.

"I have the perfect cure for a sore throat, cut it" - alfred hitchcock

Maybe you got a bad mount on your blocks and it's overheating.

that, and maybe a bad thermal paste application. (Custom loops need thermal paste right? lol >.<)

Diamond 5 in League :)

that, and maybe a bad thermal paste application. (Custom loops need thermal paste right? lol >.<)

Yes. 

2500k, z77 extreme 4 for mobo. Was overclocked to 4.6, now back down to 3.3 for troubleshooting.

Temperature readouts seem to be ok but I expected less than 60 degrees C in prime95 with a 280 and 420mm rad for just the CPU.

Thermal paste used is arctic mx-4. Waterblock moved along the surface a bit while fastening the screws (kinda hard to not move it when pushing down on springs)

I guess its reccomended to redo that part then?

over clocked? specs? quote me if you want help.

I could sure use your help. I use the xspc raystorm block. any tips when I redo the mounting as to not have it slide along the CPU?

Well this sucks, bricked my pc when reinstalling windows, can't reinstall now because windows says I miss drivers and the motherboard driver disk doesn't help. Any ideas?

Welp

ok back sorry for the wait

lets start with the bios fixes just to be sure. reset your cmos and let the bios do it's thing, then go in and check that your ram timings are in order.

also when installing the block for intel I push down holding it in place and then screw one screw in, then rotate my arm around  myself to the other side to screw in the diagonal screw. then tighten the other two and continue to tighten in a cross pattern until snug

"I have the perfect cure for a sore throat, cut it" - alfred hitchcock

did you take the plastic off the base of the CPU block? You wouldn't be the first that didn't? Other than that go through and reseat everything, 24pin, 8 pin, sata cables. mem, gpu... I've seen some weeeeeeeeeeeird stuff happen before.

If your rig was working fine before you setup your loop, then it is most likely due to a bad mount, or you may be shorting something out accidentally. I dont think modifying your cooling system should have any software impacts aside from lower temps.

Are you cooling only your CPU? or also your GPU?

Just the cpu now, but I will add gpu cooling later when I replace my video cards(dual 680s are nice but not very future proof) . My windows install seemed corrupt as the repairs to it wouldn't work for some reason (no boot partition found, but it still booted?) . Have to fix that first now. I made sure I removed the plastic but I guess a short out sounds like a good explanation. After I reinstall windows and redo the mount I'll let you know if that fixed anything.

Welp

having reinstalled windows and all the drivers the issue seems to have gone :)

Welp

I could sure use your help. I use the xspc raystorm block. any tips when I redo the mounting as to not have it slide along the CPU?

Have the same block and it's a pain to mount by yourself. I've found the easiest way is to pull the board out and then mount it. An easier way would be to have somebody help you hold it while you screw it in.