Glass tubing water cooling loop.

Trik'Stari

Lol @Rumikarimu that's what I was thinking. I was wondering also how to frost glass tubing, because a frosted system would look really good. But sanding it a tiny bit on the end would probably work

I'm hoping somebody with a lot of knowledge / experience could reassure that for you.  -_-

also if you order the monsoon fittings from frozencpu you can get a bottle of UV glue added on for cheap. My only concern is that you need to use glue, how well does glue adhere to glass? Not well id imagine since its a smooth surface.

You might need to use a different glue, yes. These days there

exist (good) glues for pretty much everything, although not all

of those are easy to acquire for home DIY use. Getting your hands

on something suitable might require a bit of research and effort.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

So @B NEGATIVE you used push-in style Hardline fittings?

also if you order the monsoon fittings from frozencpu you can get a bottle of UV glue added on for cheap. My only concern is that you need to use glue, how well does glue adhere to glass? Not well id imagine since its a smooth surface.

The glue will be fine

It is no different to acrylic,it is not a solvent weld.

You need the glue to stick the retaining cap on,the fittings will not work without them.

As for frosting glass.....

hpim2003.jpg

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Well I know with most adhesives in most situations you should always rough the surface up a bit. I would probably use a high grit automotive sandpaper.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I saw those @B NEGATIVE, seems like cheating lol. So a non solvent adhesive should work on glass? I know it has to be glued on there, seems like a cool fitting still.

Just got home from work, decided to test the larkooler pump/res combo with the provided tubing and a jug of

The pump performed better than I expected for the money, even on its lowest setting seems to have a good amount of power and flow, for not making a whole lot of noise. I do wish the res was more clear and less "smoky", but it was cheap, it worked, and it doesn't leak. So all in all, winning.

Edit: Just noticed I'm an advanced member now, woot

I saw those @B NEGATIVE, seems like cheating lol. So a non solvent adhesive should work on glass? I know it has to be glued on there, seems like a cool fitting still.

JUST GET an adhesive that chemically bonds with the glass... then there is no need to roughen it up

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

@LukaP what kind of adhesive bonds chemically with glass?

So, for the fittings.

I'm planning to use either purple, orange, or neon green/yellow coolant. Right now my case has 2 purple fans up top, and 1 red fan at the back.

What color fittings should I get?

I have the options of chrome, black chrome, red, gold, orange, purple, green. There are more colors, but none that I like. just cant decide on which one I do like, to get. I am very partial to either gold or chrome because they offset glass nicely I think.

So, for the fittings.

I'm planning to use either purple, orange, or neon green/yellow coolant. Right now my case has 2 purple fans up top, and 1 red fan at the back.

I have the options of chrome, black chrome, red, gold, orange, purple, green. There are more colors, but none that I like. just cant decide on which one I do like, to get. I am very partial to either gold or chrome because they offset glass nicely I think.

ORANGE FITTINGS. 

Chrome

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well I've decided on a burnt uv orange dye plus distilled water and a kill coil.

I like the chrome sorta, but its so bright on the monsoon fittings.

And the orange looks a little too close to rust, if it was UV I'd be getting it.

I was considering the purple since purple and orange compliment each other. But the black chrome and chrome do look good. hrmmm......

I'll try that since Frozencpu is out of the UV adhesive.

I was supposed to get my glass today, but thanks to the wonderfully lazy modern shipping companies it won't arrive till tomorrow. I just love how their idea of tracking is essentially "there" or "not there" and only updated at like, 7 in the evening. (Where I live sucks, I am literally the last house on the routes of both Fedex and ups (despite my multiple complaints) the last house on the route from a distribution center shouldn't be 2 days away. I have lived here 3 almost 4 years now and every single package I have ever ordered has been late >.<

Sorry, had a long day, needed to vent.

Quick question, is it common practice to do a drain port by just putting a T fitting with a valve on the lowest possible line in the loop? and then I assume a fill at the highest possible point.

I'll try that since Frozencpu is out of the UV adhesive.

I was supposed to get my glass today, but thanks to the wonderfully lazy modern shipping companies it won't arrive till tomorrow. I just love how their idea of tracking is essentially "there" or "not there" and only updated at like, 7 in the evening. (Where I live sucks, I am literally the last house on the routes of both Fedex and ups (despite my multiple complaints) the last house on the route from a distribution center shouldn't be 2 days away. I have lived here 3 almost 4 years now and every single package I have ever ordered has been late >.<

Sorry, had a long day, needed to vent.

Quick question, is it common practice to do a drain port by just putting a T fitting with a valve on the lowest possible line in the loop? and then I assume a fill at the highest possible point.

That's traditionally what I would do with the drain, alternatively use a point that can be turned into the lowest point i.e. roll the case on its side to achieve it etc. as it can give you more convenient placement options but for the fill port I always go for the lowest pressure point i.e. somewhere close to the suction of your pump, it doesn't matter if its the top or bottom of the loop, that'll also make it easier to 'wet' your pump so you can use it to move the water round your loop without running it dry. Usually I use the fill port as the drain port too but having two openings can make draining a lot quicker and easier.

@Grrizz Thanks for the advice.

I'm planning on the doing the fill port at the top of the line returning to the pump. The weird thing about this pump is that the reservoir that is attached to the pump is actually on the outlet side of the pump and not the inlet side. So my plan is to make a nice big glass bubble to go right before the return line to ensure that the pump never runs dry, with a fill port at the top. I'm glad I thought about fill/drain ports before I started ordering fittings. Would have been a nightmare to disassemble otherwise.

*UPDATE*

Expected Hiccup number 1.

I finally got the glass.

As expected my dinky little 20 dollar propane torch is more than hot enough to bend the glass, however the flame it produces is not hot enough to heat a sufficient area to create a bend that doesn't kink. Although it could be my inexperience and probably is. It will just take some practice I guess. However the good news is that the package I ordered for 40$ contained twelve, 4 foot sections of tubing so I have more than enough to play with.

With my work schedule being what it is, this will be a fairly long term build. Today its just too hot and too humid to be out in the shed, I live in the south and for those of you that don't know, about 5 minutes is all it takes for your forehead to become a faucet. Although I did manage to get a couple bends in, and found cutting the glass to be easy. I even managed to close one end of a piece of tubing.

Next time the atmospheric conditions are slightly more favorable than the current state of "pea soup", I shall break out the big grill deep fryer burner and give that a try.

The issue is that to heat a sufficient length of tubing I have to hold the tube at a near to parallel position compared to the flame, which causes some inconsistencies in the bend, or so it seems to me, could just be that I am a complete amateur.

Failing that, I will probably also attempt to make welded junctions by blowing a glass ball (if I can, the big burner should be more than enough for that) and then making a hole and welding another piece of tubing to that, which would look kind of cool even though it would be slightly inefficient in flow.

More to come, thanks for the support and advice.

So, for the fittings.

purple with black fans

Well I've decided on a burnt uv orange dye plus distilled water and a kill coil.

I like the chrome sorta, but its so bright on the monsoon fittings.

And the orange looks a little too close to rust, if it was UV I'd be getting it.

I was considering the purple since purple and orange compliment each other. But the black chrome and chrome do look good. hrmmm......

purple with black fans

@Rumikarimu

@nick99n

Black noctua's (of course), gold fittings, purple coolant? or perhaps black chrome fittings.

Some sleeving i did for a friend doing an orange and purple build.

dPzoPLll.jpg

zLKxtMnl.jpg

eIcOrppl.jpg

mmm purple and orange does look good. I like gold, I just hate the pastel colors, and I hate white particularly lol, srry @Rumikarimu although I think I'm gonna get the gold because the orange just looks like rust, it should have been neon orange :(

Right now the biggest issue is whether or not i can get the freaking tubing to bend without kinking. I mean its open, and it'd probably even be fine, but it would just be so hideous I would smash it lol. Its probably a combination of soft glass, my being a complete noob at glass working, my torch being not that great for soft glass.

I think when I get paid I'm gonna order some pyrex glass because its slightly better at resisting temperature. From what I've been reading you can bend this soft soda lime glass with a simple liquid alcohol burner, and I'm using a compressed propane torch with a like, 4 inch long jet tubine like blue flame (I adjusted it all the way down, didn't really help).

I just wish my *EXPLETIVE DELETED* of a boss would give me more than 1 friggin day in a row off of work. >.<

Um, no. Titanium would serve no purpose other than being exorbitantly expensive. Glass isn't nearly as expensive. Also it looks better lol.

Well, good luck with that, I know the countless hours of labor. :)  

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)