Looking for new headphones/mic or headset...

tehgray

Going in circles for weeks figuring out what I want. I'm not an audiofile, but I would like to enjoy my music rather than just have it in the background as noise.

Budget is $250. I own a $30 dollar pair of closed back headphones (JVC HA-S700) which I've had for 3 years now and I'm looking to upgrade as I build my first pc and get away from midrange laptops.

Seeing as I've only used closed back, and the isolation was always a positive for me regardless if ambient noise was present, I favor closed back. I don't know what I'm potentially missing with open phones, if anything I'll care about at all.

These will be used for everything. Gaming, Music, and movies. I don't play much FPS, but surround sound in games like skyrim would be nice. As far as I understand, you can have virtual surround in any set of headphones with some cheap software such as razer surround.

I would love for them to be wireless, but I know my pool shrinks considerably by wanting wireless, but seeing as my computer will be in my room, it would be nice to lounge in my bed watching movies/shoes/anime without worrying about wires across the room.

Over the ear headphones.

And if I get headphones and not a headset, I would like mic suggestions so I could stream games and not pick up background noise like my mechanical keyboard or my roommate screaming in the kitchen on the phone.

I've been looking at the RS180 (might be what I'm looking for), and then HD 598's ad DT 770's.

i74790k | Hyper 212 EVO |16gb 1600mhz Corsair Sport | Z97 Gigabyte Ga.G1 Sniper Motherboard | Gigabyte GTX 970 | 250GB 840 EVO | 3TB 7200RPM WD Black | Fractal Define R4 | Corsair K70 Red | Logitech G502 | Sennheiser HD598 + Fidelio X2 | Blue Yeti Microphone | Dell P2414h + Dell S2340m

I would get the dt 770s I think you've been looking at the right headphones, but I would'nt get Sennheiser hd598 because I think there for professional audio monitoring and not for music, monitoring headphones generally mean they have a very broad sound and no bass.

For closed back headphones, your best bet would be the Beyerdynamic DT 770, but unless you've got a headphone amp you'll definitely want the 32 OHM version. That, paired with an Antlion Modmic 4.0, and you'll be good to go. This combo will provide the best sound quality for your money.

If you're deadset on wireless though, the Astro A50 and Steelseries H Wireless are both out of your price range at $300 each, you may want to check out the Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless and Logitech G930, currently priced on Amazon US at $90 and $110 respectively. Be warned, you'll get far, far better sound quality both with the audio and microphone if you go with the DT 770 and Modmic.

For closed back headphones, your best bet would be the Beyerdynamic DT 770, but unless you've got a headphone amp you'll definitely want the 32 OHM version. That, paired with an Antlion Modmic 4.0, and you'll be good to go.

this

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

DT770 have fairly good sound stage for that surround you wanted. Just get headphones with good sound stage and the surround is already built into games. I think that headphone has the biggest sound stage of closed headphones. If you want better surround then that, open headphones is the way to go. If you get the 250 ohm, they might need an amp. If they're not loud enough, get a Fiio E6. 

I've heard good things about the Sennheiseer HD 380 Pro soundstage (among closed headphones of course) even in comparison the DT 770.

I've got the hd598's and love them, but looking at what you've listed you like and are looking for I'm not sure they would be what your after since they are open back and wired. I had a set of logitech g930's before the hd598's and they were decent, although fairly expensive, but they do seem closer to what your looking for, the wireless is pretty solid if you don't have any otherwireless periferals (I had problem with them and a wireless mouse at the same time, but without it they ran fine even with a wireless card), closed back and has surround. Take some getting used to since they are fairly heavy and I was getting headaches when I first started using them. The build quality is pretty good, but not great for the price, but the customer service is pretty good so its not that big a deal, I returned mine twice and got a new set each time. The software can be a bit temperamental as well, but as a whole isn't too bad, the volume and g buttons are also pretty useful.

A decent headset to look at anyway since it seems to be closer to what your looking at, good luck finding something you like though.