[Automotive] two questions here

AlwaysFSX

First question is:

Are power steering lines supposed to be lose our extremely tight? (Pretty sure I know the answer to this) and what's the easiest way to fix what someone had done to make all the fluid leak? 2000 Ford Mustang if it helps.

Second question being:

On a two way street in a residential neighborhood, is it illegal to park a vehicle on the side facing traffic IF IT IS AN EMERGENCY caused by mechanical failure forcing you to? (USA laws)

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

First, it is illegal to park facing the way traffic comes. Second I have a 03 mustang and mine are tight but can move them like 2~4mm and probably the best way to fix is maybe a new rubber seal if it needs one but depends where its leaking from

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Problem is you don't have a civic 

I'm a troll

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

Problem is you don't have a civic

I'm a troll

most mustangs have civic engines too... They power the wipers lol

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

most mustangs have civic engines too... They power the wipers lol

mateeee, dat vtec powa must come in handy during a thunder storm 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

First, it is illegal to park facing the way traffic comes. Second I have a 03 mustang and mine are tight but can move them like 2~4mm and probably the best way to fix is maybe a new rubber seal if it needs one but depends where its leaking from

Even in an emergency where you're not able to park the right way?

Power steering fittings should be tight of course, there's usually some rubber hoses to allow for some engine movement. Tighten them back up and refill the fluid.

You'd have to live in the worst of areas to be cited for parking wrong-way in front of your house, but it's still likely illegal. I do it all the time; my street has no marked divider. If it's just your steering you're worried about, you can move the vehicle without power steering fluid, it's just bad for the pump to do so, but shouldn't be too bad to just park the correct way if it's something you think will get you in trouble.

The PS loop is similar in layout to a PC water loop. Reservoir, pump, hoses, etc. You need to determine where the oil is leaking from to see if you can fix it by yourself. Did a hose just break down and leak, or did an internal seal fail in the pump itself, did the hydraulic cylinder blow a seal?

Is the reservoir now empty? Look in the manual or online for what kind of oil the PS system uses, it is usually an automatic transmission oil (ATF) or actual power steering fluid. (Look it up for sure, I suspect it calls for MerconV or DexronII/III ATF and not PS fluid).

Take note, PS pumps are similar to PC water cooling pumps in the fact that they should not be run dry for any period of time. Do not fire up the engine (which turns the PS pump with a belt) without the proper oil in the reservoir.

I see two options:

-Buy $5 of oil in order to track down the leak and make the decision if you feel comfortable replacing that part. If the leak it not HUGE, filling the reservoir should at least allow you to get the car facing the right direction and avoid an expensive ticket even if you cannot fix the leak.

-Tow it to a machanic

If you do feel like you can fix whatever is leaking, know that the air needs to be worked out of the system (again similar to PC WC loop) so plan ahead for that.

Just a heads up, being in the continental US, AAA is a really good deal if you ever need to tow. I pay about $85 a year for the service which includes 3 tows up to 100 miles and a bunch of other goodies. The yearly subscription is cheaper than just one tow, so that's a great deal IMO. I only mention this because if the delay time of signing up to when you can use the service is only a day or whatnot, it might save you some decent cash compared to paying a private company out of pocket.

I think it is illegal regardless of circumstances.

Good luck to you!

well if you cant you cant so they will have to deal with it

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

well if you cant you cant so they will have to deal with it

They will just "deal" with it... likely by writing him an expensive ticket :(

Fill up the reservoir and turn that thing around, or just have someone push you for two minutes (key in "on" position so steering wheel doesn't lock).

They will just "deal" with it... likely by writing him an expensive ticket :(

Fill up the reservoir and turn that thing around, or just have someone push you for two minutes (key in "on" position so steering wheel doesn't lock).

lol

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

A general rule of thumb with any kind of line that has pressure in it is that the fittings are supposed to be tight.

The easiest way to find out where it's leaking is to clean off the pump area and refill the reservoir. Then put some paper or cardboard underneath the car. Start it and turn the wheel a few times 

That'll allow you to find the general area of the leak. And you can check the lines and fittings in that area for any fluid.

Just be carefull when you're cleaning the engine bay. There are many electrical connections that don't really like water around the engine.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"