eBay pulls sales of Chinese 'spyware phones'

RainfallWithin

_75617586_465159fa-c363-49e1-b5b5-c3c4e7

The Star N9500 handset was being sold for about £120 on eBay

Quotes from BBC News source: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27908105

EBay is barring listings for a smartphone after reports the model is pre-installed with spyware in its Chinese factory.

A German security firm reported on Tuesday that the Android-powered Star N9500 sent personal data to a computer server in China, adding that the Trojan could not be removed.

It said the malware was disguised as the legitimate Google Play Store app.

The handset remains on sale on Amazon, which could not be reached for comment.

But eBay said it was rolling out the ban globally.

"Due to reports that some Star 9500 smartphones are loaded with spyware, eBay is not allowing the sale of these devices as a precautionary measure," a spokesman told the BBC.

Although the brand Star is far from being a household name, the handset may have appealed to some customers because of its close resemblance to the Samsung Galaxy S4 coupled with the fact it sells for about a third of the cost.

Security firm G Data said it was alerted to the case after receiving tip-offs from its customers.

"The spyware runs in the background and cannot be detected by users," it said.

"Unbeknownst to the user, the smartphone sends personal data to a server located in China and is able to covertly install additional applications.

"This makes it possible to retrieve personal data, intercept calls and online banking data, read emails and text messages or control the camera and microphone remotely.

"The program also blocks the installation of security updates."

The Associated Press news agency has reported that although several Shenzhen-based firms used eBay and other sites to sell the model, it had been unable to track down the manufacturer.

G Data identified the malware involved as being Android.Trojan.Uupay.D.

If the allegations are true, it is not known whether the manufacturer itself would have been aware of what was being done at its plant.

This is not the first time that a Chinese factory has been accused of shipping devices preinstalled with malware.

In 2012 Microsoft reported that several PC makers in the country had been found to load malicious programs onto their computers.

Then, last year German firm E-Plus reported that some of its China-made Android smartphones were being shipped with SD memory cards infected with a computer worm.

Personal Thoughts

Good move on eBay's part. For those with little money and not much technological experience, it is an easy trap to fall into; to buy a phone with supposedly good specifications for a fraction of the price of a phone from a major brand. At the same time, eBay may have had no choice to block these sales; as news spreads of this, many people would have become a lot more wary about using eBay.

That looks rather like a galaxy S4, I'm not sure this 'spyware' is the main issue at hand in terms of the legality of this device lol

With regard to the 'phone home' spyware, it doesn't surprise me, but who wants to spy on cheapskates who buy crappy knock off phones?

That looks rather like a galaxy S4, I'm not sure this 'spyware' is the main issue at hand in terms of the legality of this device lol

With regard to the 'phone home' spyware, it doesn't surprise me, but who wants to spy on cheapskates who buy crappy knock off phones?

What you said is mentioned in the news article.

"Although the brand Star is far from being a household name, the handset may have appealed to some customers because of its close resemblance to the Samsung Galaxy S4 coupled with the fact it sells for about a third of the cost."

Exatly what I was thinking,  any government or business (the only people worth spying on) worth half their salt isn't going to buy a phone just because it looks like a samsung, nor will they purchase from ebay.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Exatly what I was thinking,  any government or business worth half their salt isn't going to buy a phone just because it looks like a samsung, nor will they purchase from ebay.

Or any notable person of interest for that matter.

Or any notable person of interest for that matter.

exactly.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They should plant those on early teen girls and see China's spy's heads just blow up :lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.