Windows 8.1 Corners blocking mouse

Go to solution Solved by TheProfosist,

I have already disabled that, and the menues did go away. I'm left with a tiny wall in the very top and bottom between my monitors. Dragging a window from one screen to another by holding the top bar of the window and dragging along the top edge of the screen to the other monitor is what I'm trying to do. it stops on the middle due to the tiny wall, but if I move the mouse down just 1cm it can pass.  Am I really the only person who has this issue, or did it just not bother anyone else enough to notice? :(

Oh thats a added feature that most people want and like. It was one of the reasons multi monitor sucked on Win7 there was nothing that snapped it to the edge of the screen and most time you would over shoot. DisplayFusion actually adds this to Win7 by default. I think it might be able to disable it in Win8 though.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/140928-win7-aero-transparency-2nd-monitor-low-fps-fullscreen-video/

Old topic - related (reason for changing from windows 7 to windows 8.1)

Hello again LTT Forum members.

Due to my problems on W7 before, I decided after some time to atleast try W8.1 and see if the problem was gone - and it is!

FPS is smooth in all operations, it's like a dream come true to see your computer perform like you expected.

Now, trying to adjust W8.1 to my liking, I hit a ton of annoying features and problems. With hours of googling, I've resolved most of the ones I've struck so far.

Right now my main concern is the cursor activated charms in the corners of the screen (using dual monitor setup).

I disabled the ones you can - this prevents the menu from popping up, BUT THE DAMN AREA STILL BLOCKS MY CURSOR!?

Basically what I do all day is moving windows from monitor to monitor, and this block in the top right of the main monitor annoys me every single time.

It blocks regardless if it's from the main or secondary monitor. It's in between them. (I could switch my secondary to be on the left side, but I don't like that)

I know it's just a matter of getting used to it, but I would be so happy if anyone could tell me some way to get rid of the 'wall'.

Also, as I have only spent one day using this OS, I'm probably missing a lot of things that could be improved.

If you have any changes/apps/programs you consider a "must have" on W8.1, please list them here aswell.

Thank you for your time and help!

TLDR; W8.1 'must have' prog/apps/tweaks + ways to get rid of the corner charms blocking cursor when dragging from screen to screen.

Classic Start. It's free and has more features than StartIsBack. I've been using Classic Start with Windows 8 & 8.1 & 8.1u1 for months. I've never seen my cursor get blocked by charm menus that weren't there.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Classic Start. It's free and has more features than StartIsBack. I've been using Classic Start with Windows 8 & 8.1 & 8.1u1 for months. I've never seen my cursor get blocked by charm menus that weren't there.

I was using a program called Start menu 8 or something, I installed Classic Start 8 now, and sadly that doesn't change it. It also only opens the new start menu when I use the start key on my keyboard, not when I click the start button on the taskbar with the mouse?

I was using a program called Start menu 8 or something, I installed Classic Start 8 now, and sadly that doesn't change it. It also only opens the new start menu when I use the start key on my keyboard, not when I click the start button on the taskbar with the mouse?

Did you uninstall Start Menu 8? 

I don't have that issue with Classic Start. It might be some other program or tweak you've tried on top of the programs that is messing things up. Not sure. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Did you uninstall Start Menu 8? 

I don't have that issue with Classic Start. It might be some other program or tweak you've tried on top of the programs that is messing things up. Not sure. 

I did uninstall it before, yes.  It's also the only start modifier I've installed, but something else might be doing something. Just for good measure I will reboot to see if anything changes.

I appreciate the guidance! :)

EDIT: Reboot changed nothing - still blocking in the top and bottom corners from the charms, and the classic start still only works with keyboard, not mouse.

I also tried adding a code in regedit from this link with no luck. http://www.ghacks.net/2012/08/19/disable-windows-8-mouse-over-corner-interfaces/

EDIT2: Reinstalled Classic Start 8, and now I have 2 start buttons. The new one works both by keyboard and by mouse, but has no functions on rightclick except disabling the windows key on the keyboard.

Why did MS make this so complicated and annoying in the first place :(

I did uninstall it before, yes.  It's also the only start modifier I've installed, but something else might be doing something. Just for good measure I will reboot to see if anything changes.

I appreciate the guidance! :)

EDIT: Reboot changed nothing - still blocking in the top and bottom corners from the charms, and the classic start still only works with keyboard, not mouse.

I also tried adding a code in regedit from this link with no luck. http://www.ghacks.net/2012/08/19/disable-windows-8-mouse-over-corner-interfaces/

Hmm. All I ever did was install Classic Start. Note that the menu on the right still comes up if I let my cursor sit near the right border of the primary monitor, but my mouse isn't blocked by it unless it appears.

You can right click the shell icon (Start Menu) and click Settings and configure it accordingly. I'm not at home right now (at work on Win7), otherwise I'd look through there for something to help you. 

† Christian Member †

Personally, after having used both startisback and classic shell (and start8 but don't go there) and i would wholeheartedly recommend startisback. So far theyve updated reasonably regularly and it has been the most robust solution i have used - both start8 and classic shell have crashed on me a few times each, classic shell can be forgiven because it's free but start8 was expensive for what it is. Startisback on the other hand has been rock solid.

Startisback is basically tick four boxes and boom - windows 7 feel. If you can't justify the three dollars, though, go with classic shell and fiddle with stuff until it works, it should really have no problem doing the job. Also no matter what program you install, go through the settings thoroughly, it took me a while to find the right boxes to tick with start8 so i imagine some other solutions are like this as well.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

I don't mind paying for it if it works well. I can't find any way to adjust settings with classic start 8. If I right click it, I get these 3 options.

Enable/Disable windows key opens Classic Start 8 menu.

Open classicstart8.com (website)

Help

Using this OS comfortably for me requires so many changes. I don't know if it's worth the trouble in the end. The initial problem that caused me to go away from my beloved Win7 doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It's 5 years old, randomly being fixed in some driver updates, but returns in the next, and the developers either don't know why, or doesn't care.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d4f155d8-6ff6-4741-bb2d-8ed184b7a45c/dual-monitors-windows-7-problems

-snip-

Oh God I did it again. 

I meant Classic Shell. Not Classic Start. My bad my bad. I keep doing that. They're both free, but Classic Shell is the one I'm talking about.

-snip-

Did you check the "Advanced" box in the Classic Shell settings? It adds a looooot.

Also, make sure we are talking about Classic Shell and not Classic Start. I keep making that mistake when talking about this.

† Christian Member †

Holy s**t that changed things! This is amazing!  The customizability is superb, and best of all, it works lol. Replaced the original, doesn't pop up on the wrong monitor half the time, doesn't add a stupid scroll when hovering over shit and the buttons actually work and has text!

That will surely improve the overall feel of this. It didn't change the mouse block in the corners though, but hey, one step at a time.

Thank you so much!

I'll keep researching those corners. I'm down to only a few major problems now, like programs refusing to start up when set to do so (probably something about administrator startup required, but doesn't work due to security settings or something), and settings reverting after restarts like language display near clock etc.

One step at a time :)

Thank you once again, I really appreciate it!

You can disable that in windows now. Go to the navigation tab in taskbar properties.

I have already disabled that, and the menues did go away. I'm left with a tiny wall in the very top and bottom between my monitors. Dragging a window from one screen to another by holding the top bar of the window and dragging along the top edge of the screen to the other monitor is what I'm trying to do. it stops on the middle due to the tiny wall, but if I move the mouse down just 1cm it can pass.  Am I really the only person who has this issue, or did it just not bother anyone else enough to notice? :(

Oh thats a added feature that most people want and like. It was one of the reasons multi monitor sucked on Win7 there was nothing that snapped it to the edge of the screen and most time you would over shoot. DisplayFusion actually adds this to Win7 by default. I think it might be able to disable it in Win8 though.

I have no idea how to thank you... It worked, it took less than 5 seconds to remove using that program, and it also seems to have very premium features for a lot of other cool stuff - excellent fix!

Thank you so much! <3<3<3

I have no idea how to thank you... It worked, it took less than 5 seconds to remove using that program, and it also seems to have very premium features for a lot of other cool stuff - excellent fix!

Thank you so much! <3<3<3

no problem. Its a great program. Even though microsoft has added a bunch of stuff to win8 if you have more than two monitors its still needed. they basically just need to integrate most of the things it has into windows.