English listening conprehension

TeKNiQue

I'm swedish, and I've always watched movies with swedish subtitles. After becoming active on the internet a few years back I've watched a lot of videos on YouTube - without subtitles obviously, since they're not available. When I watch the WAN show every week, I have no problem with hearing and understanding what Linus and Slick are saying. But when I try to watch movies without subtitles, it's been Proving difficult for me to keep up, especially in tv shows like The Big Bang Theory.

You see, the problem isn't that I don't understand what they're saying, it's that I can't hear or conprehend what they're saying. They don't speak very clearly to me.

Will I be able to practise my listening comprehension by keep watching stuff without subtitles and ultimately get to the point where I'm as good at english as a native speaker?

I'm 15 btw.

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

Get used to different accents :D

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I'm swedish, and I've always watched movies with swedish subtitles. After becoming active on the internet a few years back I've watched a lot of videos on YouTube - without subtitles obviously, since they're not available. When I watch the WAN show every week, I have no problem with hearing and understanding what Linus and Slick are saying. But when I try to watch movies without subtitles, it's been Proving difficult for me to keep up, especially in tv shows like The Big Bang Theory.

You see, the problem isn't that I don't understand what they're saying, it's that I can't hear or conprehend what they're saying. They don't speak very clearly to me.

Will I be able to practise my listening comprehension by keep watching stuff without subtitles and ultimately get to the point where I'm as good at english as a native speaker?

I'm 15 btw.

It helps massively to read what's being spoken in English too. I highly recommend you watch your movies and tv shows with English subtitles. As you gain more experience the context will help you better understand what's being spoken better. This site is great for tv show subs: http://www.addic7ed.com/  Movies:     http://http://subscene.com/

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Water yew talken 'bout?

It's literally the hardest thing ever lol.

North American English is easy mode vs English with an Indian accent..now that can be hard to understand.

My problem with the listening comprehension tests is that I can personally understand them in so many ways. I think way too in depth about them.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I'm 15 btw.

Dude if you struggle with that much of a change e.g: similar accent

DO NOT listen to accents such as Liverpudlian or Irish!!! (From the UK)

Thing

Reading English and listening to English will definitely help you in the long run. Just keep listening. It would probably be good to rewind every time you do not understand what is being said as well. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Thing

You realise Ireland has various accents too?

Dublin on its own has way more than I could count. I just filter it by I understand him, I have to actively listen, I just can't be bothered learn to speak English. :P

It says it all that I understand some foreigners better than some of my fellow Irish folk.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

You realise Ireland has various accents too?

Dublin on its own has way more than I could count. I just filter it by I understand him, I have to actively listen, I just can't be bothered learn to speak English. :P

It says it all that I understand some foreigners better than some of my fellow Irish folk.

Yea I know I just generalised it as you said there are sooooo many and also in Wales!!!!

Thing

Thing

Eh...

It's cute too.  :wub:

Louisianan French, European French, Canadian French, whatever.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |