30fps better for storytelling than 60fps?

Testbuilds

I was watching Game of Thrones this morning (12-1am) and there was one scene where an army heads north of the wall and they had banners which would have allowed me to figure out who they are fighting for but due to the INCREDIBLY low frame rate (24fps) I couldn't make out the banners. They were just a blur (hate motion blur more than low fps)

Point being that less than 60 frames for anything is a joke unless it looks amazing and is being rendered in real time (games) then I can tolerate 30-40.

Yeah same here I knew it was stannis (which btw #teamstannis) But couldn't make out the burning heart it just kinda looked super bad. Getting real sick of this 24 FPS shit and I hope peter jackson kicks the movie industry into gear. 

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Short Version:

-They made weak consoles,that cant render 1080/60fps/latest graphics only  1 of those 3 at a time,so they make up paid stories of how "resolution is just a number" and "30fps is better cause movies are 24fps".Since resolution and graphics details are the most demanded and visible they pick up on poor "FPS" and theres no one to defend it.

Longer version:

Gotta love how they pay fools to say such things,theres no magic there only stupid.Still cant believe they compare movies to games just because they both work on "FPS" its so silly even thinking of debating this.

Seems like everyones forgetting movies dont have input controlls,you just watch and eyes get used to 24fps+blur.

Coders know that also input will get laggier if you have less frames,which feels really heavy on your movements ingame and such,add some network latency and bad netcode and enjoy the lagfest.

I cant believe theres people who push these ideas and articles defying logic and the truth that lies under the hood just to defend idiotic cheap hardware consoles trash.

After playing a game at 30fps for an hour my eyes will get used to it, and it will look perfectly fine to me.

30fps is fine once youre eyes adjust.

Although I feel this article is intended for cinematic heavy games rather than action intensive games.

I would much rather a better looking game at 30fps than a terrible looking game at 60fps.

Although 60fps>30fps, I would rather better graphics at a lower frame rate than a higher frame rate with lower graphic fidelity for a story driven game.

Sure and if I throw powdered glass on your eyes and cause permanent damage, you'll eventually adjust and learn to live with limited vision and even near blindness, that's hardly the point (Not that I would ever do that to you, just an example).

I understand the "I can't fucking do better anyway" argument when it's honest: I honestly can't do better myself on my current rig so my Skyrim outdoors runs at 50 FPS with frequent dips below 30, and if it wasn't because I've played the game so damn much I would often die during those dips but somehow I damage cause it's still runs better on my ancient 260 card than on the PS3 or 360.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Update: Joke’s over folks. Google Satire. Apparently it isn’t obvious enough and is being blown out of proportion. Apologies for any butt-hurt this caused. It was all in good fun.

Did that update just get added in the last day or so? If not, did so many people actually miss that at the top of the article? Everybody here on this forum already knows that higher framerates are always preferable, we don't need to keep jacking each other off (metaphorically) by going over this again and again...

This is not up for discussion. This article is stupid and uninformed and that's it, no need to argue over it.

-EDIT-

I read that it was a joke just after lol. that's what I get for not reading the full thread.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This topic

5501cec3a6da1f8d5b7be4a9f1b5ad9b802588cb

If you are sick of it go play on a console where you won't have to hear people complain.  Sorry but what Ubisoft and others are doing right now is total BS!

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

If you are sick of it go play on a console where you won't have to hear people complain.  Sorry but what Ubisoft and others are doing right now is total BS!

Perhaps, but OP basically took an 8-month old, satirical article from WCCFTech, and posted it, all so we could have the exact same discussion/argument that we've had in a dozen other threads.

Did that update just get added in the last day or so? If not, did so many people actually miss that at the top of the article? Everybody here on this forum already knows that higher framerates are always preferable, we don't need to keep jacking each other off (metaphorically) by going over this again and again...

All I have to say is, what the hell did WCCFTech expect would happen? They're a Tech News site (granted, one with a fairly low reputation). Why the hell is a News Site posting satirical (or fake/misleading, despite it's humorous connotations) articles without CLEARLY stating they are satirical?

That'd be like Anandtech posting an Onion News article without clearly saying so. Some will catch on, but most will either be confused/misled, or will straight up assume that the news article is an inflammatory lie. Look at this tread, case in point. The FPS war is already a hot topic between consoles vs PC, but this article just dumped a huge can of gas on the fire without even a "Oh hey, btw, this is fake, just a joke, just an FYI". Yes they posted an update saying so, the fact that they HAD to post an update just shows how stupid they were to post it in the first place.

The only good thing to come out of this article is some very good/valid explanations why higher FPS in games is always* better.

*This obviously excludes stuff like games that are a very specific art style or gameplay mechanic where FPS needs to be a certain set number, or is totally irrelevant, such as with a Visual Novel type game. And even in this case, higher FPS isn't "bad".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Word documents don't look too bad at 30fps...........until you start scrolling down I guess.

Even the bloody Naughty Dog devs are saying "they can't go back" now they have been playing TLOU remastered in 60fps -

Played some #TLOU at 60 fps tonight for the first time (60fps cutscenes and all). Transformitive. I’m a believer. Don’t think I can go back.

Mugenau also reassured a fan that was worried about cutscenes losing the cinematic effect:

I was worried about the “soap opera” effect too, but in playing it, it’s consistent with the gameplay so it’s invisible.

Everyone saying that can just...well they can just fuck off TBH

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

For me there is no question that 60FPS is better. "Cinematic" is just a buzzword being misused to misconstrue the whole thing. 24 FPS works for live action movies only, due to the by product of real world physics: Motion blur. This isn't present in games. It isn't even present in animated movies. For this instances, 40FPS should be the minimum.

Having said that, 60FPS is a luxury for me, and not a necessity. Others will no doubt disagree, but here, this is very much subjective.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.