Former Microsoft Employee Jailed For Leak

GoodBytes

As you remember there was a former Microsoft employee, Alex Kibkalo, as he got frustrated due to a poor performance employee evaluation, and decided to leak Windows 7 and 8, despite the big fat warning about being prosecuted if you leak it, on the desktop.

He was leaking it to a blogger instead of journalist, and the blogger reported the leak to Microsoft.

An investigation followed and the former employee got arrested.

He plead guilty, and managed to reach a deal with federal prosecutors a reduced sentence of 3 months and a $100 fine, instead of 10 years in prison.

He will also be deported back to Russia after his sentence.

Bit-Tech.net says:

Alex Kibkalo originally faced a 10 year stint in prison for stealing trade secrets but managed to reach a deal with federal prosecutors for a greatly reduced sentence accompanied by a $100 fine.

In reality, the sentence is even less than three months as it will not run from the date of the judgment but will instead be counted from when he was arrested back in March, as Kibkalo has been held in custody since then. This means he will actually be released some time next week, but it is reported that he will then be deported to his home country, Russia.

Source: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2014/06/16/former-microsoft-employee-jailed-for-window/1

So he basically negotiated from 10 years in prison to a few weeks of jail time and $100. well it is america i guess, how is that allowed

So he basically negotiated from 10 years in prison to a few weeks of jail time and $100. well it is america i guess, how is that allowed

They don't have plea deals in the UK?

I think 10 years in prison would've been pretty harsh, but I'm surprised the fine wasn't bigger.

Either the original sentence was overkill for the charge or he manage to get a very good deal to get out, I guess they agreed to that since him being deported back, was more cheaper that keep him locked 10 years

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Lol, he got a pretty good deal if you ask me :P

Other than the getting sent to russia part

Song Of The Day: Nujabes - Battlecry

Not like that, you get more credit the sooner you enter your guilty plea, i believe the guideline is something like 1/3 sentence reduction 

as far as i know in the UK you wouldnt be able to get a 10 year sentance down to a few weeks unless you had some SERIOUS information to offer

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think 10 years in prison would've been surprisingly harsh, but I'm surprised the fine wasn't bigger.

TBH I agree with that it was too harsh but i don't really know enough about the legal system here tbh, we may have the same thing but i guess for this kind of thing it makes sense but $100 for reducing his sentence to near nothing seems a bit weird

That's a slap on the fucking wrist, good for him. The deportation hurts a bit more but it's not that big of a deal vs a decade of imprisonment. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I saw this a few days ago and seriously this is way over the top for leaking something like prison time really? he should of just got maybe a $1000 fine and thats it hes career is over anyway after people find out he has leaked stuff no company is going to employ him so i think that is punishment enough.