My NAS is slow. I think I'm dumb.

Poledancerz

Before you laugh or yell at me... I'm new to NAS. I just thought that this would be something fun to get. 

So I got this NAS. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165483

I basically got it just so I would be able to backup all of my computers to it. 

I think I set it up right... Plug the NAS into the router... Got it. Make a folder with the NAS... done. Copy folders to the NAS... capped at 3.3mb/s (26mbps, my upload speed). Which means copying my hard drive to it will take around 50 hours. 

... What do I do? If I have a direct connection into my router and then copy files to my NAS will it be faster?..

..... Is this just the normal speeds that I should be getting? Don't hit me. 

If your over wifi and it's not minimum 300Mbps N (~30 MBps from NAS after overhead) then that's likely the problem and/or your router is slow due to 10/100 ports which also means your wifi is really only 100Mbps and/or a slow SoC in both the router and/or the NAS.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

It doesn't come with any drives. What drive(s) did you put in it? Are you transferring wirelessly? Wired? Ethernet or something else?

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

If your over wifi and it's not minimum 300Mbps N (~30 MBps from NAS) then that's likely the problem and/or your router is slow due to 10/100 ports which also means your wifi is really only 100Mbps and/or a slow SoC.

Yes it is most likely due to the NAS' SoC/Processor being too slow for higher throughput. I have noticed this with out WD MyBook Live over a fast network that wouldn't bottle neck it. If trasferring lots of tiny files, the speed drops below 10MB/s. With bigger file's it can do much more tho.

Yours does look awfully slow. There may or may not be another problem.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

As you can see on buffalo's website, maximum speeds are 480 Mbit per sec.

http://www.buffalo-technology.de/de/produkte/speicherprodukte/nas-fuer-privat/linkstationtm/archive/linkstatio-pro-duo/

That makes 60 MB per sec max under optimal circumstances. For small files it's not surprising to see transfer speeds drop this much, especially when you realize that writing is slower than reading. So 3-25MB depending on file size is what can be expected

in the end you went for a budget NAS.

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

As you can see on buffalo's website, maximum speeds are 480 Mbit per sec.

http://www.buffalo-technology.de/de/produkte/speicherprodukte/nas-fuer-privat/linkstationtm/archive/linkstatio-pro-duo/

That makes 60 MB per sec max under optimal circumstances. For small files it's not surprising to see transfer speeds drop this much, especially when you realize that writing is slower than reading. So 3-25MB depending on file size is what can be expected

in the end you went for a budget NAS.

Yeah, but the files I'm copying are around 10gb each. They are video files. I'm not sure if they are considered to be "smaller" files, I would assume smaller files to be around the > 10mb area. 

I just wonder if there is anything that I can do on my home network that can get that speed boosted. 

If I had a direct connection into my router (which is where the NAS is plugged in), would that have a difference in speed?... I would test it myself, but I don't have another Ethernet cable...

Yeah, but the files I'm copying are around 10gb each. They are video files. I'm not sure if they are considered to be "smaller" files, I would assume smaller files to be around the > 10mb area. 

I just wonder if there is anything that I can do on my home network that can get that speed boosted. 

If I had a direct connection into my router (which is where the NAS is plugged in), would that have a difference in speed?... I would test it myself, but I don't have another Ethernet cable...

i highly doubt that. the bottleneck shouldn't be your network as long as you have 1GbE and not 'Fast Ethernet'(100mbit)

My builds:

i highly doubt that. the bottleneck shouldn't be your network as long as you have 1GbE and not 'Fast Ethernet'(100mbit)

Well even if fast ethernet is 100mbit, I should still be getting faster speeds than 3Mb/s? 

I just found it really weird how my upload speed is around 25mbps, and that is exactly the speed that it is being transferred at. 

Well even if fast ethernet is 100mbit, I should still be getting faster speeds than 3Mb/s? 

I just found it really weird how my upload speed is around 25mbps, and that is exactly the speed that it is being transferred at. 

that's coincidental, but funny nevertheless

My builds:

that's coincidental, but funny nevertheless

Oh. I was almost sure that it had something to do with it. Alright, thanks, I appreciate the help.