EU Cookie Law - Making a popup

So I'm working on a new website thats within the UK, as such it needs a cookie policy to comply with EU law, many websites in the UK have a popup that appears saying that the site uses cookies and a link to the privacy policy, I would like to add one of these, thing is I'm not sure how to make it go away and stay gone once a users accepted that the site uses cookies, in other words I need a notification to appear on first use of the site, then once a user has accepted cookie usage on the site it will not appear for them again.

Anyone know how?

Of course,with cookies!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Disapointed, i thought this was about a law of cakes :P

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Of course,with cookies!

Yeah, I figured it'd be a cookie that'd tell the site its been agreed to, but the question is how do I set it to do that? A lot of sites seam to use free options that sort it all out automatically but they need to be tied into the core html of the site which due to the online platform I'm using I cannot do, I can however place a HTML box in the header of the page making it appear on every page, my intention is to put the cookie policy there, I just need to know how to make it hide after its been dismissed by a user.

Yeah, I figured it'd be a cookie that'd tell the site its been agreed to, but the question is how do I set it to do that? A lot of sites seam to use free options that sort it all out automatically but they need to be tied into the core html of the site which due to the online platform I'm using I cannot do, I can however place a HTML box in the header of the page making it appear on every page, my intention is to put the cookie policy there, I just need to know how to make it hide after its been dismissed by a user.

Just embed some JS using script tags in the code for the HTML box in the header.